I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad's second chemo

User
Posted 27 Mar 2018 at 22:05
Well dad got his second round of chemo yesterday. He had been in hospital after the first one due to high temperature for a few days where he was given antibiotics and fluids for his white blood count to rise. When he was in yesterday he was told he was very lucky as he was very ill when he went into hospital. He didn't feel it but they said if someone had gone in who wasn't as healthy they might not have been so lucky. This has terrified me even more than I was already. What happens If he gets another infection? Will chemo be stopped? I am worried sick.

On a brighter note his psa was 260 at diagnosis in Dec 2017 and after one decapeptyl (2nd one due april) and one chemo it has dropped to 20! Is this a good indication that things are going Well? Would it be the injection that has caused the drop or the chemo?

Thanks

Miffy
User
Posted 27 Mar 2018 at 22:39

That is great news - it is the HT that has dropped the PSA so dramatically, sometimes chemo actually makes the PSA rise as the cancer cells try to fight against the attack they are under.

Fingers crossed he is well this time round.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 07:12

Great news’s , all the best for the future treatments
Debby

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 22:46
Try to remember that the HT is the main treatment, the Oncologist said to us that the Chemo is "the icing on the cake" in other words the HT is the main cake. If your Dad has to stop the chemo it is not a disaster. I think we tend to see the chemo as more important than it is because it is obvious, whereas the HT is not as noticeable. It is only very recently that they have started to give chemo early on as they found that in some cases it can help the HT work for longer.

Obviously something is working, probably the HT. When was the PSA taken? My OH had his taken just before the first chemo his had dropped to 1 from 66 just on the HT alone.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Mar 2018 at 22:39

That is great news - it is the HT that has dropped the PSA so dramatically, sometimes chemo actually makes the PSA rise as the cancer cells try to fight against the attack they are under.

Fingers crossed he is well this time round.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 07:12

Great news’s , all the best for the future treatments
Debby

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 22:46
Try to remember that the HT is the main treatment, the Oncologist said to us that the Chemo is "the icing on the cake" in other words the HT is the main cake. If your Dad has to stop the chemo it is not a disaster. I think we tend to see the chemo as more important than it is because it is obvious, whereas the HT is not as noticeable. It is only very recently that they have started to give chemo early on as they found that in some cases it can help the HT work for longer.

Obviously something is working, probably the HT. When was the PSA taken? My OH had his taken just before the first chemo his had dropped to 1 from 66 just on the HT alone.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 23:23
Thanks for explaining that, hopefully he won't need to stop it but it's reassuring to hear it's not the be all and end all.

I'm not sure when the psa was from he was told at second chemo appointment of the drop but I'm not sure from which bloods. Was just good to hear something positive is happening after a lot of negative.

Long may this continue!

Miffy
User
Posted 29 Mar 2018 at 17:34

Miffy, it is usual to have the bloods taken not more than three or four days before the chemo infusion for every cycle.

AC

User
Posted 29 Mar 2018 at 18:02
Yes they were done on Friday for Monday's chemo but I don't know if the psa result we were given was from the first round or second. Either way it's a bit of positivity we were glad to hear 😊
Miffy
User
Posted 29 Mar 2018 at 18:21

Hi Miffy,

The PSA drop will be from the bloods take just before the second chemotherapy cycle. As well as checking PSA the purpose of these blood tests is to make sure that he’s fit enough for the next cycle. Here’s to more drops - but of course future one’s can’t plummet as sharply as this first one 😀

Dave

User
Posted 29 Mar 2018 at 21:38
Hi Dave!

As long as they keep going in that direction I'll be happy. Hope you are keeping well.

Miffy
User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 09:44

I’m doing great thanks Miffy. Looking forward to being reduced to a pulp by three grandchildren later today. 😆😆😆

Dave

Edited by member 01 Apr 2018 at 09:45  | Reason: Not specified