I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

PSA 33 but no apparent urgency for diagnosis - PSA33,Scans (CT / MRI / Bone scan),Biopsy

User
Posted 06 Jun 2018 at 21:08

Hi Alan, Even when commuting regularly to work (7 miles each way), I had odd periods for various reasons when I stopped riding for a week or two. During these periods I began to feel tired and lacking in energy. As soon as I got back on the bike my general energy came back and I just felt good.

I walk our two Staffy dogs twice every day and also go to the gym at least 4 days a week and alternate between aerobic and weight training exercises.  I plan to get back on the bike and resume my gym sessions for as long as possible throughout my treatment.

I hope you succeed in keeping your bike rides going through your treatment Alan.  

User
Posted 06 Jun 2018 at 21:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Alan, Even when commuting regularly to work (7 miles each way), I had odd periods for various reasons when I stopped riding for a week or two. During these periods I began to feel tired and lacking in energy. As soon as I got back on the bike my general energy came back and I just felt good.

I walk our two Staffy dogs twice every day and also go to the gym at least 4 days a week and alternate between aerobic and weight training exercises.  I plan to get back on the bike and resume my gym sessions for as long as possible throughout my treatment.

I hope you succeed in keeping your bike rides going through your treatment Alan.  

_——————————————————————————————

Thats what I’m hoping for, easier for me as I’m retired I guess. Even if I don’t feel up to getting out on the road I have a static trainer in my garage

Edited by member 06 Jun 2018 at 21:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jun 2018 at 19:12

Alan,

Just want to say you inspired me to go to the gym yesterday. I've been getting over a UTI apparently caused by my TRUS biopsy a few weeks ago. I felt pretty exhausted after 30 minutes on a cross trainer but felt much better this morning. I plan to go back tomorrow and include a few weights. 

User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 00:53

That’s really great news mate. All I would say is do what feels OK for you and don’t try to increase too much unless you feel well up for it. I am 100% convinced, as backed up by my GP, Oncologist and primary care nurse, that the daily cycling exercise really does help me have less side effects and get through PCa treatment. Proof of the pudding for me will be in 5 weeks when I start external beam RT, so I will keep everyone updated, but I fully intend to do daily exercise of some sort through the sessions

Edited by member 09 Jun 2018 at 00:55  | Reason: Corrected mistake

User
Posted 19 Jun 2018 at 22:27

Monday 18th June 2018. I went with my sister for the consultation with a surgeon at Southmead.  I had prepared some questions to ask and gave a copy to my sister so that she could check that all the questions I had written down were covered in the conversation with a view to prompt me if I forgot anything.

The surgeon was very open and started by asking me if I had any thoughts about which way I was thinking of going i.e. surgery or radiation.  I explained that I'd had 4 months to ponder the various treatments available but if the option for surgery was available to me, I was leaning in that direction.

He told me that he didn't want to hold any punches but my diagnosis showed that I had a 'significant' cancer.  He told me that he was pleased that I was leaning towards surgery but he warned me that he wanted to ' throw the kitchen sink' at me. He went on to explain that the best plan for me was to start immediately on 3 months of hormone therapy and to schedule me in for a radical prostatectomy at the end of September. Nerve sparing surgery would not be an option in my case and as well as removing my seminal vesicles, some lymph nodes would be removed.

I am now preparing to deal with the onslaught of various side affects of hormone therapy and eventually those of a radical prostatectomy aimed at prolonging my life at the expense of preserving erectile function.

Once again I brought up my concerns about just how long it has taken to get to the point where my treatment has started. The surgeon was clearly concerned that it had taken so long but reassured me that in the scheme of things 4 months is not likely to have an impact on the outcome in my case.  

I am relieved to have finally started treatment after 4 months of waiting between appointments for the next stage of tests and diagnosis. I am confident that my surgeon is at the leading edge of expertise and among the best in the country. 

I'm aiming to conclude this thread and start a new one to share my treatment experiences. I want to thank everyone who has responded to my story so far and for the kind words of support and helpful advice.