I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate examination

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 20:28
Hi there , I'm not sure if I am asking the following question in the correct place but I have just joined the group and looking for a bit of advice and support .

My dad will be 89 next week , he went for a routine blood test last week which his pas came back high so we had an appointment today at the hospital , we know that my dad suffers with an enlarged prostate but today he had an examination and was told that the right side is hard , we now have to wait for a scan appt through the post , arrange another blood test on 3 wks and we see our consultant in about 4 wks , am I worrying to soon ? I would appreciate any advice , thank you in advance xxxx

User
Posted 28 Mar 2018 at 22:13

The fact that his prostate is hard on one side means that there is a good chance of cancer. However, 80% of men in their 80s have some prostate cancer although many will never need treatment. If he does get a positive diagnosis, there are a number of treatments that mean he will in all likelihood be here for a good few years yet.

Do you know what the actual PSA result was? ‘High’ could be anything from 4 to 13,000 !

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard