Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post PSA test - psa

User
Posted 30 Mar 2018 at 18:57
This is my first post here.

I presented with urinary symptoms to my GP, he performed a DRE and booked me in for a PSA test with a urine test. This was on Thursday just past. The urine test showed protein in the urine.

Could anyone tell me, what are the next steps post PSA test?

User
Posted 30 Mar 2018 at 21:50

It depends on the result of the PSA test plus how the prostate felt - if the GP thought the gland was hard or lumpy, or your PSA was higher than it should be, the GP should refer you to a urologist for further tests. You may also be asked to attend a urinary function clinic to have your flow and bladder capacity tested.

It is worth noting that protein in your urine is not usually associated with prostate cancer.

Hopefully, the blood test wasn’t done straight after the DRE?

Edited by member 30 Mar 2018 at 21:55  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Mar 2018 at 15:17
Thanks for the reply Lyn. The blood test was a week after the DRE.

I also have other symptoms, those being lower back pain and perineal pain. The perineal pain is more prevalent when sitting or lying down.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2018 at 17:30

Both are indicators of kidney problems or urine infection. Perineal pain isn’t associated with prostate cancer and back pain is only relevant to very very late diagnosis with extensive spinal mets - extremely unlikely at your age.

What is your ethnicity?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 16:30
I'm white. This is all very encouraging information, I appreciate your help.