I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mixed emotions

User
Posted 03 Apr 2018 at 21:32

I was diagnosed in December, opted for robotic  radical prostatectomy, had my procedure in Feb this year and have just had my 6 week post op consultancy. I couldn't have wished for a better outcome as my margins are negative and a PSA reading of less than 0.02. This was last Wednesday and as you can imagine I was elated and a great weight lifted of my shoulders. Regarding incontinence I have been virtually dry since 2 days after the catheter removed. I have been able to get an erection albeit not as often as before. So my problem is I am now feeling a bit down and miserable ( not depressed ) when I have no reason to feel like this and should be over the moon. Has anyone else had what I can only descibe as a weird reaction to such good news

User
Posted 03 Apr 2018 at 23:09

Hi,

not unusual to be feeling like this at this time after such good news. I'm no shrink, but have had similar responses to my good news, nowhere near s good as yours. But all of our good news is relative.

So, maybe the adrenalin that kept you going 'til now, has stopped flowing? Now, your raw feelings and emotions come to the fore.

Sure you will get back to normal/usual in due course.

In the meantime, try to allow yourself to relax and enjoy your great news and splendid recovery.

dave

PS FWIW, I know it, recovery and good news, can be a mixed bag. It's far better than the alternative though, so do enjoy.

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 00:38

I think Macmillan have a leaflet about the ‘down’ that comes after cancer treatment is finished - as CB says, while you are dealing with the crap of diagnosis, choices, treatment your brain just keeps moving but once the treatment is over feelings of shock, grief, anger and sadness are very common.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 08:12

Absolutely normal reaction, its what happened to me. it reminds me of the tale of the dog who loved to chase buses, when he eventually caught it he didnt know what to do with it,
Time to relax and gently potter back into those things you have temporarily forgotten you love to do.

For me, I'm re-exploring the countryside with my dogs (weather permitting) and rejoining my ukulele group.