I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High PSA of 58.3

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 18:55
My husband had a PSA test on request. He has no symptoms except a very bad back. We were told his level was 58.3 and after examination the consultant told us the prostate was very enlarged and hard on one side. He had 4 biopsies on each side. He has had a full body bone scan and a ct scan. We are getting results tomorrow and every day has been torture. Is it definitely going to be cancer with this score? I’m worried sick as I’m thinking that ithe consultant must think it is and it may have spread to the bone. My father died of prostate cancer when he was 54 and his had already spread before diagnosed. My husband is 63 and very scared.
User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 21:58

The PSA in itself is not so high for this to definitely be cancer - we have had men with PSA in the thousands, even one of 13,000 and there are members who had a PSA up near the hundred mark who were given the all clear. Conversely, it is possible to have a PSA around 3 with spread to bones. A very large prostate can cause very high PSA levels, particularly if there is also inflammation or infection. What is much more concerning is that the prostate was reported to be hard. Don’t panic too much about the bone scan as some hospitals do that for all men with positive biopsies while others will do it for any PSA over a certain number.

The consolation is that you have survived this far and by this time tomorrow you will know what you are dealing with.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 22:23
I know what you mean by every day waiting being torture. I felt the same.All best wishes for tomorrow and hoping it is good news for you.

Ann x

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 22:56
Lyn is right but yes, the fact that the consultant said it is hard is usually the key. I’m sorry to say that waiting is part of the journey but somehow we have got used to it over the more than seven years of our cancer journey. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping that the results are better than you fear. Please let us know and we will try to support you if the news is not as good as you hope.

Love

Devonmaid