I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I’m new here

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 21:14
Hi everyone , I’ve just joined as looking for support / advice and thought this would be a good place to find it.

My Dad is 71 , diagnosed with prostate cancer July 2016, has since spread to bones and liver. He has had hormone , radio and chemo. He doesn’t have much mobility anymore which is horrible to see, but remains positive through it all - such an inspiration.

His current issue is with blood clots and being unable to pass urine. He went into hospital on Saturday due to this, released this afternoon , and already back in again this evening with the same issue. He self catheterises , I was thinking he may be better having a permanent catheter fitted but he seems to be against this as thinks this would be more problematic.

Does anyone have any experience / advice on this ?

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 22:38
Glasgal

I have had a Suprapubic catheter for about a year now and may possibly have it for the rest of my life. There is a risk in years to come that it may cause cancer of the bladder but that is a risk I am going to face. At the moment I have a SPC and a urethral catheter, thankfully the urethral one comes out tomorrow and has been the worst one out of the numerous ones I have had in the last four years, the SPC on the other hand is the most comfortable I have had in the last three years.

You mention clots in his urine which I started having about 4 months after RT, he may have radiation cystitis. If it is a mild form cranberry juice may help, if it is more severe it may not.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 22:53
Hi

Like Chris my hubby has had similar issues and now just has a Supra Pubic Catheter (SPC), it’s much easier to deal with I think than self catheterisation really if it is an on going issue, you do get used to it and once you get the routine going it becomes second nature. My hubby John (just to note that my iPad had originally made this Gerry!) built a night stand from an Ikea men’s metal suit stand, he cut the top off, put some rip Uber stoppers on the cut off bits and some hooks to hang the bag on and it’s nice and stable for his night bag. I reckon he should patent it! Much better than the useless plastic thing they give you. Honestly, it’s not nice but it’s much better than having urinary retention, that really is awful. I hope dad improves quickly and it gets sorted out.

Lots of love

Devonmaid

Edited by member 09 Apr 2018 at 23:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 23:32
Oh damn that ipaditis, don’t tell him, seven years without nookie has driven me to a bloke called Gerry apparently haha, no honestly it was the iPad, though how it made Gerry out of John I simply do not know! It’s John, honest......
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 22:38
Glasgal

I have had a Suprapubic catheter for about a year now and may possibly have it for the rest of my life. There is a risk in years to come that it may cause cancer of the bladder but that is a risk I am going to face. At the moment I have a SPC and a urethral catheter, thankfully the urethral one comes out tomorrow and has been the worst one out of the numerous ones I have had in the last four years, the SPC on the other hand is the most comfortable I have had in the last three years.

You mention clots in his urine which I started having about 4 months after RT, he may have radiation cystitis. If it is a mild form cranberry juice may help, if it is more severe it may not.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 22:53
Hi

Like Chris my hubby has had similar issues and now just has a Supra Pubic Catheter (SPC), it’s much easier to deal with I think than self catheterisation really if it is an on going issue, you do get used to it and once you get the routine going it becomes second nature. My hubby John (just to note that my iPad had originally made this Gerry!) built a night stand from an Ikea men’s metal suit stand, he cut the top off, put some rip Uber stoppers on the cut off bits and some hooks to hang the bag on and it’s nice and stable for his night bag. I reckon he should patent it! Much better than the useless plastic thing they give you. Honestly, it’s not nice but it’s much better than having urinary retention, that really is awful. I hope dad improves quickly and it gets sorted out.

Lots of love

Devonmaid

Edited by member 09 Apr 2018 at 23:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 23:05

Devonmaid, when did you marry Gerry, and does John know? 😂

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 23:32
Oh damn that ipaditis, don’t tell him, seven years without nookie has driven me to a bloke called Gerry apparently haha, no honestly it was the iPad, though how it made Gerry out of John I simply do not know! It’s John, honest......
User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 07:13
Me again! Thanks for your replies.

My Dad got home from hospital and has been treated for a urine infection.

He is eating very little, is very unstable, snoozing on and off throughout the day and staying in bed. We have increased carers to four times a day to assist with toilet trips etc.(he is still against having a catheter put in)

I have come up to my parents house to be here to help and support my Mum.

It is so hard to know what to do for the best , whether to stay here or to head back home for work and to be with my young children (my husband has been fantastic though) and come up again next weekend.