Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Cancer Doccumentary

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 22:30

Hi all,

Firstly, let me say that this a very informative website and there are some really inspiring stories on here. I recently joined Prostate Cancer UK as I wanted to know more about prostate cancer and find out how I could get involved with raising awareness of the issue. 

I am currently in the process of making an investigative documentary, for my Master's degree, about prostate cancer, screening for cancer and the developments being made in researching prostate cancer. I am particularly looking at who is affected by prostate cancer. 

I am interested in hearing the individual stories and experiences people have had with prostate cancer and was wondering whether anyone would like to be involved with the documentary, either in sharing an experience in writing or appearing on camera. 

If you feel that you, or someone you know, would be interested in participating then do please let me know so I can give you some more information.

Thank you again for such an inspiring community of people. 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 23:23

Sounds like an interesting project - do you have ethics approval etc all sorted out? And have you spoken to the staff at PCUK who will probably be able to put you in touch with members that have already appeared in their media films? And I am sure that Irun will be happy to talk to you when he gets back from the Sahara :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 23:29

Hi,

There are a lot of experiences documented on this forum, some in the profiles and some in the long threads.  My own profile has a link to a small website I created to document my progress.

I'd be interested in helping to a degree, although I live a long way from you.  At the moment there is a tailwind on awareness, not sure if it was Stephen Fry's case that nudged it along with the improvement in breast cancer figures pushing Prostate Cancer higher up the table.

There are dozens of informative websites and as many opinions.  I don't know if other cancers are the same but PC has a multitude of variations in cases, treatments, hospital capabilities, it takes a sleuthlike style to work through it.  Although creating awareness might skate over that.

I'd find it interesting to know how it's going on and if others take an interest you might keep this post prominent by adding replies to it.

Regards
Peter

User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 16:21
Aaron

It has been mentioned before that you may get a skewed or distorted view if you only use websites like this one. Many guys and gals have come onto the site and no longer contribute or possibly no longer look in because they are hopefully heading for a cure and do not feel the need for support.

Sadly also missing from the site will be the families of many men who did not make it.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 12 Apr 2018 at 16:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 20:01
May I suggest that you find out if there is a support group in your area that have regular meetings and maybe a newsletter. Then you could approach members to ask them. Having completed my masters by conducting and recording interviews I know that finding willing people is tricky as an acedemic the medical ethics shouldn’t be a barrier but you may want to draw up a data protection form for your interviewees I’m sure that your mentor will help in this. Good luck I’m sure that it will a valuable contribution to the prostate cancer community.
User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 15:37
Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting in touch with me. I recieved your message, but unfortunately as I am a new member I am unable to respond to private messages at this time.

If possible, would you be able to drop me a line via my email address which is aaronrwilson96@gmail.com?

Thank you!