I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hardening and nodule

User
Posted 16 Apr 2018 at 21:41
My husband had a hospital examination today and the consultant found a nodule and some hardening of the prostate. Additionally, his PSA has risen from 0.8 to 2.2 in just two years. He is 67 and has a family history of both prostate cancer (brother) and breast cancer (Mother). We now have to wait 2 weeks for an MRI and another week after that for a biopsy. I am so worried about him, so any advice would be appreciated.
User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 08:08

He is getting the correct diagnostic treatment so there is nothing more to be done for now so I know it's not easy but try and forget about it until you have the results..

If he gets the all clear (which he may well do as PSA us NOT a cancer test) then great but make sure he continues to be checked regularly.

If he doesn't then take some time to research all his options and make sure he makes a fully informed decision on his treatment (which may be active surveillance ie no treatment)

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 09:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
My husband had a hospital examination today and the consultant found a nodule and some hardening of the prostate. Additionally, his PSA has risen from 0.8 to 2.2 in just two years. He is 67 and has a family history of both prostate cancer (brother) and breast cancer (Mother). We now have to wait 2 weeks for an MRI and another week after that for a biopsy. I am so worried about him, so any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have any advice for you - all I can say is that it's good that your husband is going to have a MRI scan first as this can greatly improve the accuracy of the subsequent biopsy. 

There is more information about that here:  https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/mri-scans-could-spare-25-of-men-from-prostate-biopsies/

I know that the waiting is very difficult especially when you are worried as I had my MRI scan on the 23rd March and my biopsy isn't until the 5th June but I have been using this time to do research so I have a better idea of what I'm up against. 

Edited by moderator 12 Jul 2023 at 08:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 13:02

Hi Debbie,

I note your husband had a PSA of 0.8 some 2 years ago. Was there some particular reason for this and did he have a DRE by his GP at that time? Perhaps a more recent DRE by this GP together with his PSA initiated his referral to a consultant at Urology as even at 2.2 his PSA is within normal parameters for a man of his age unless he has had previous treatment. Having said that, some types of PCa express only a very small amount of PSA and a nodule along with hardening would raise concern.

If you can give us as much detail as you can on your husbands histology and diagnosis as it becomes available, this will give us a better idea of his situation and help us offer support where we can.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 13:40

Yes. Because his brother was diagnosed with PC a few years ago, he wanted to have a check up. He had a DRE which found a slightly enlarged prostate. The same GP did an exam a couple of weeks ago and noted a nodule and further enlargement, and so sent my husband to the consultant for further examination yesterday.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 13:43

He's had no previous treatment. The GP was concerned that the PSA level wasn't as high as he expected, considering the size of the prostate, etc.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 13:46

Unfortunately, we won't know the result of the MRI until after he has the biopsy, when we see the consultant with all the results.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 15:39

Yes more waiting Debbie but perhaps best to get a more complete picture after all tests done and know what treatment is offered, if this is indeed thought advisable at this stage. In my case the biopsy was done first and on the basis of staging T2A, it seemed surgery would be a good option. Unfortunately, I was told several weeks later after a MRI that followed, my staging had been reassessed at T3A, locally advanced and the surgeon did not want to remove my Prostate. So it was a bit of a downer and I would have preferred to have waited longer for the final diagnosis.

Barry
User
Posted 13 Nov 2018 at 18:20

Hi. I was wondering how your husband got on? I am in a similar situation, low PSA but hard prostate with nodules and family history of PC. I had my biopsy today. Many thanks.

User
Posted 13 Nov 2018 at 20:37

He had the rectal biopsy but it was inconclusive. He did have a really bad bleed a few days later and actually collapsed in A&E through blood loss. Thankfully, he recovered quickly but it was a shock. We were in the process of moving so then had to change hospitals and basically start again as they wanted their own MRI. Following that, they decided to do a template biopsy, which is taken externally but is more targeted and takes more samples (40 in his case). We got the results 3 weeks ago and they showed mainly benign samples. There were some PIN cells (which the doctor explained as being pre-pre-pre-cancerous! ), and they want him to have six monthly PSA tests just to keep an eye on things but the doctor said in his 30 year career, he has never seen this type of cell turn into prostate cancer. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best with your diagnosis.

User
Posted 13 Nov 2018 at 20:41

Thanks for replying and great to here that things are looking better for you both. Now you can enjoy your new home.

User
Posted 13 Nov 2018 at 22:07

PIN was found to be the case in a friend of mine a few years ago and it has not developed into PCa in his case so far but he is regularly monitored. However, I read that PIN increases the risk of it leading to PCa.

Edited by member 13 Nov 2018 at 22:16  | Reason: Not specified

Barry