I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy 6 months on

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 19:58
In May 2017 I was diagnosed with localised prostate cancer Gleason 4 + 3. I subsequently received HT for 6 months and 20 sessions of RT in November 2017. At first I thought I was ‘weathering the storm ‘ well, but somehow my exhaustion and tiredness do not seem to improve very much. I have always been an active person but I cannot do anywhere near as much as I used to. I have started to measure my daily walking steps working towards 10000 steps. At present I manage 6000 and am then knackered! Otherwise I feel well and am very grateful for all the treatment I have received. I would be grateful for the experience of others who may be at a similar stage,
User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 21:25

Hi Wilks,

I had radiotherapy back in 2007, combined with 3 years of HT, then again salvage HDR Brachytherapy in 2015 combined with 2 years HT.

My experience is that the tiredness associated with RT is short term and easily forgotten, however the consequences of HT are far more profound and long lasting.

My first spell of HT was 3 years on Zoladex, my last one was 2 years on Prostrap, and the side effects were the same with both, muscle loss, weakness, diminished hair, and of course impotence.

In both cases it took me a couple of years to get over it, and even now after 2 years (my last Prostrap was November 2015) I am still finding my erections are getting stronger month by month, which is another way of recognising that I have still not fully recovered.

I do find the summer sunshine cheers me up, no doubt boosting the vitamin levels, a healthy diet, plenty of exercise and a nap in the afternoon if you feel like are recommended.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 22:30

Hi Wilks,

Our diagnosis, treatment and timescale is near identical.

I was on Zoladex, 2x 3months, expiring mid-December, and have been struggling with fatigue.

I am 62, just ! and was quite impressed by your 6000 steps a day, I’ve recently been having to have a sit down after ½ an hours walking.

I have been told the HT will take at least 6 months to a year beyond the ‘expiring date’ before the hormones are out of the body system, so the side effects of fatigue are likely to remain for this period of time.

I think you are doing well but might be hitting the 'HT barrier.'

IIRC PCUK do a ‘How to Manage Fatigue Guide’, and I think a telephone fatigue advice service.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/guides/how-to-manage?scrollTo=16723

ATB G

User
Posted 21 Apr 2018 at 10:46
I had to have 2 months off work due to tiredness. I was always falling asleep about 4pm. 6 months of zoladex and 37 sessions of RT. Took a year to fully recover.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 21:25

Hi Wilks,

I had radiotherapy back in 2007, combined with 3 years of HT, then again salvage HDR Brachytherapy in 2015 combined with 2 years HT.

My experience is that the tiredness associated with RT is short term and easily forgotten, however the consequences of HT are far more profound and long lasting.

My first spell of HT was 3 years on Zoladex, my last one was 2 years on Prostrap, and the side effects were the same with both, muscle loss, weakness, diminished hair, and of course impotence.

In both cases it took me a couple of years to get over it, and even now after 2 years (my last Prostrap was November 2015) I am still finding my erections are getting stronger month by month, which is another way of recognising that I have still not fully recovered.

I do find the summer sunshine cheers me up, no doubt boosting the vitamin levels, a healthy diet, plenty of exercise and a nap in the afternoon if you feel like are recommended.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 22:30

Hi Wilks,

Our diagnosis, treatment and timescale is near identical.

I was on Zoladex, 2x 3months, expiring mid-December, and have been struggling with fatigue.

I am 62, just ! and was quite impressed by your 6000 steps a day, I’ve recently been having to have a sit down after ½ an hours walking.

I have been told the HT will take at least 6 months to a year beyond the ‘expiring date’ before the hormones are out of the body system, so the side effects of fatigue are likely to remain for this period of time.

I think you are doing well but might be hitting the 'HT barrier.'

IIRC PCUK do a ‘How to Manage Fatigue Guide’, and I think a telephone fatigue advice service.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/guides/how-to-manage?scrollTo=16723

ATB G

User
Posted 21 Apr 2018 at 10:46
I had to have 2 months off work due to tiredness. I was always falling asleep about 4pm. 6 months of zoladex and 37 sessions of RT. Took a year to fully recover.