Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PIP & Cancer

User
Posted 28 Apr 2018 at 22:23

Hi all

I have three friends that have recently been diagnosed with cancer.  All three are receiving debilitating chemotherapy treatment, one of my friends has stage 4 cancer that has spread to their bone marrow. 

Whilst I'm in awe of their courage and the way in which they are fighting this dreadful disease, I'm appalled at the lack of financial support.  Whilst my step dad is a pensioner and suffering from prostate cancer, my other friends are aged 47 and 61 and are totally dependent on SSP of £92.05 each week. This simply isn't enough to live on and pay a mortgage. I've therefore launched a fundraising campaign and have, so far, managed to scrape together £5k from holding cake sales, bucket collections and spring fairs.  It's been really hard. Equally its been incredibly humbling how many people have donated, even though I have often felt embarassed asking people to donate so that friends can pay their everyday bills.  

I am, however, appalled by the system and complete lack of support.  I have therefore launched an on-line petition and would appreciate your support to fight this inequality.  You can sign the petition via this link https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/215775

Moving forward, I am concerned how they are going to manage.  I would therefore be interested in how difficult it was to secure PIP after the 3 month eligibility criteria. If there's literally no chance getting the benefit, I will have to continue to fundraise. 

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 18:55

I see you haven't had reples Suesarmy so I am bumping you.

In the meantime, did your friends approach Macmillan about possible help

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 20:02

Additional benefits are not available until the person is terminally ill and has less than 6 months to live although some oncologists will sign the paperwork when they believe the prognosis is less than 12 months. Macmillan and most hospices have benefits advisers to hekp make sense of it all. Sad fact is, we have had members here who lost their homes due to their cancer diagnosis although most men with prostate cancer are able to continue working - even through chemo.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 09:00
Good morning

Firstly what an amazing thing you are doing for your family and friends.

PIP is a really complicated and long process in my experience. My husband was originally refused. For the first few months we survived off money from family and a very understanding bank. Macmillan offer a really good service for helping you with your finances. Definitely contact Macmillan.

We appealed kieron's PIP decision and our oncologist and urologist were really helpful with issuing detailed information for me too send. The forms are a little complicated but try your local citizens advice bureau they can help with completeting the forms for you. Our original application did involve a physical examination at our home, as I said earlier kieron was refused at this point. We asked for a mandatory reconsideration, on which we submitted more information, I think I was a little nieve when completing the forms myself the first time, I should have seek advise beforehand. Kieron was awarded the lower rate of both element's on reconsideration. The whole process took 5-6 months. Kieron now receives the higher rate of both element's after he was issued a DS1500, we are 18 months on from this being issued, we are on a trial treatment at the moment, early days yet but we are hoping for a good response.

I wish you all well and I hope i have helped.

STILL I RISE