I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tamsulosin & Dementia

User
Posted 29 Apr 2018 at 11:34

Worrying research has linked long term use of Tamsulosin with increased risk of Dementia.  I have been on it for a year and would like to stop taking it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/neurodegenerative-diseases/prostatic-hyperplasia-treatment-increases-dementia-risk/article/745571/

Kieran

User
Posted 29 Apr 2018 at 12:33

Reading research papers is only worthwhile if you read the detail. The Tamsulosin group made up almost half of the total, there was no control group and it was a non randomised data set rather than any direct contact with patients. Even the abstract says at the end that the research methodology was too limited to be able to draw any conclusions. However, if you are really concerned you could just ask the GP to change your prescription to alfusozin or finasteride.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 08:59

and tolterodine i am on tamsolusin 1 a day and tolterodine 2mgxdaily,gonna ask gp for alternatives.still getting up 4 times a night.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 12:18

Post HD Brachytherapy I was given a three month course of Tamsulosin (although I was already on it).  Now 9 weeks in, waterworks are getting more under control.  It's all down to risk/benefit.  What are the effects of stopping the drug rather than taking an alternative?  Getting to see a GP is almost impossible!

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 16:45

yeah regarding gps i see a different one everytime 4 surgeries have joined together to form a medical group nearly impossible to see same gp,dont know whether im coming or going with each gp saying different things,sometimes when i try to make an appointment online theres nothing there only blood tests,and when i make an appointment i have to wait about 2wks,not good.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 20:17

I have been on Tamsulosin Hydrochloride for about two decades without any apparent side effects, so perhaps lucky, and I will continue with them.

Barry