I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

George Monbiot

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 09:41

It seems George Monbiot has joined our club.  Here's a link to an article he has written about his journey so far:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/13/prostate-cancer-happy-diagnosis-operation

I think it makes interesting reading, and offers a positive outlook.  As always, the stats can be up for discussion, but the main gist of the article is about how his diagnosis sits in his mind. 

cheers

Graham

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 23:41

Gleason Score stated as 7.

Journo' dramatization 10/10  !

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 23:51

I hope he does well.

Journo or not, the fact that he is living out his "Journey" in a column will bring the issue to a wider audience and hopefully alert men to the dangers earlier than might have been the caee.

It's just sad to see another 1 added to the total affected.

dave

Edited by member 04 May 2018 at 23:52  | Reason: Not specified

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 22:02

Thanks Graham

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 22:21
Interesting article although a bit dramatic in places. He must have had the op in March.

His psa was 'off the scale' but doesn't say what it is and his biopsy was 'mortifying'. Can't help thinking these are unusual.

He advocates telling everyone about his condition on the basis that there should be no more terrible secrets and the more familiar it is the less frightening it is.

His treatment rationale for having a prostatectomy is based on the below which I wasn't too sure about;

'I was offered a choice: radical surgery or brachytherapy. This means implanting radioactive seeds in the parts of the prostate affected by cancer. Brachytherapy has fewer side effects, and recovery is much faster. But there’s a catch. If it fails to eliminate the cancer, there’s nothing more that can be done. This treatment sticks the prostate gland to the bowel and bladder, making surgery extremely difficult. Once you’ve had one dose of radiation, they won’t give you another. I was told that the chances of brachytherapy working in my case were between 70 and 80%. The odds were worse, in other words, than playing Russian roulette (which, with one bullet in a six-chambered revolver, gives you 83%). Though I have a tendency to embrace risk, this was not an attractive option.'

Edited by member 04 May 2018 at 23:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 23:41

Gleason Score stated as 7.

Journo' dramatization 10/10  !

User
Posted 04 May 2018 at 23:51

I hope he does well.

Journo or not, the fact that he is living out his "Journey" in a column will bring the issue to a wider audience and hopefully alert men to the dangers earlier than might have been the caee.

It's just sad to see another 1 added to the total affected.

dave

Edited by member 04 May 2018 at 23:52  | Reason: Not specified

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.