I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My Husband 55 years old with Gleason 9

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 11:18

Hi to this Forum, My Husband has just had a Gleason test and it has come up as score 9, so worried.  He is going for a CT scan tomorrow and a Bone scan on Tuesday, I am hoping that the cancer has not spread.

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 13:16

Hello poppyf and welcome to the site

Fingers crossed for your husband's scan results. Could I ask, what was his PSA?

There are a number of men on here with Gleasons of 9 and with very very high PSA and they plod along with their daily lives (albeit a different view point to their pre-PC days) and they have done so for quite a few years.

55 is young(ish) but we have men on here in their 40s and with young families. Prostate Cancer is no respecter of age

There are many treatment options available now.

Once you have the scan results, please come back and ask any questions and I'm sure somebody will be able to help you

This is a horrible waiting time for you now and it will seem like it's going on forever but you will probably find once the scores are in and a treatment plan in place, life will settle down and become more "normal"

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 15:34
Hi Sandra, Thank you for replying. His PSA was 12. I do like your quote.
User
Posted 13 May 2018 at 20:12

Hi poppy we were in a similar position 30 months ago ,Gary is also Gleason 9 with PSA 23 .and also 55 .it had spread to lymph nodes so was deemed as not suitable for removal . Gary’s treatment was to start on hormones( which will be life long )then 6 sessions of chemo which went really well, with Gary still able to work everyday as he still does today .he is now on the stampede trial involving extra meds and more monitoring which is a bonus .The main side effects are fatigue and weight gain which you learn to cope with as the alternative is not great ! We have just returned from a three week holiday involving 3 countries and long flights so as you can see life does go on . Keep strong and come back for more advice as there is some fantastic members ,men as well as their partners .
Best wishes
Debby

Edited by member 13 May 2018 at 20:13  | Reason: Not specified