I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in Urine Post Op

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 13:54

I had my prostate removed last Thursday 3rd May and apparently the op went well but there was an issue the following morning when my catheter tube became blocked and it felt like my bladder was stretched to near bursting point. The urine collected in the container was very clear up to the time the blockage was cleared but thereafter it was very bloody. I was concerned that the stitches had been torn but I was told that it is usual to have blood in the urine post op. I know this to be true of course but I was sent home still worried that some damage may have been done. Yesterday, 5 days after my op, my urine seemed to have finally cleared but again today I have blood in my urine and also some seeping out of my penis. I was sitting on the loo at the time trying not to strain to open my bowels. There may have been some jiggling of the catheter tube as well. I was wondering really how long I might expect to see blood under normal circumstances? I'm due to have the catheter out next Tuesday but if I'm still seeing blood would that be advisable?

Thanks

John

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 14:54

Hi John, I hope the prostatectomy has been successful.

I didn't initially have much blood in my urine after the operation but 10 days post op and before I had the catheter removed I awoke to find my night catheter bag was red.

My wife was so concerned (so was I) we went to hospital where they changed the catheter bag and checked things had settled which they had.

A duty urological registrar came over to check me out and said it would be a clot separating and that it was perfectly normal.

It might be worth phoning ir going in to get things checked.

Hopefully others will answer too.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 14:56
John

First bit of advice is if in doubt call someone on your medical team.

My experience albeit now 4 years old. I was told is the bag is a rose colour not to worry, if it is red wine colour call the medical team. Blood in urine often looks worse than it is. I passed small amounts of blood and urine between the catheter and the urethra at the end of the penis. If you start to feel the catheter is not draining call the district nurse, they can flush the catheter but my advice was, never let anyone other than a urologist change a Catheter after RARP. I queried about damage to the joint and was told you would be quite feverish if you had. The urology nurses will not remove the Catheter if they think it should stay in. Bearing in mind how rose my bag was, I was quite surprised that they removed the Catheter.

If I doubt....

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 09 May 2018 at 14:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 21:10
I can only echo the other comments, if in doubt call the number you would have been given.

I had a similar experience just before I developed peritonitis - don't take any chances..

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 21:40

Thanks for the replies. To avoid any confusion when I said there had been a blockage in my catheter, it wasn't at my end - it was where the drainage tube entered the plastic collection container. I think it had formed a kink. I must admit that I'm feeling a bit miffed that I told 2 consultants who came round plus 2 nurses that I was in a lot of discomfort and needed to pee and I was pretty much fobbed off with "This is to be expected" type comments. It was only when I was in dire straits that one of the nurses checked the tubes and when he moved the plastic collection box (which was only about one third full) my bladder immediately began to empty and filled the box. My relief was instant and I will be eternally grateful to that nurse. I've been taking it easy today and drunk lots of water. I'm pleased to say that the bleeding stopped as soon as it started and my pee has been clear all day. I'm sure that everything is ok. It's just that I'm a bit of a worrier by nature and when you're not sure what is normal plus the added issue of the blockage stretching my bladder I was starting to get a bit concerned. I do have a number to ring if I have any problems and if the bleeding becomes a recurring thing I'll give them a ring.

Thanks,
John