I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TRUS biopsy on Thursday

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 12:15

After receiving a PSA test result of 31, and the urologist feeling a "nodule" on the right side of my prostate, I'm having an mpMRI scan next Wednesday (16th), and a TRUS biopsy the following day (this is at a private hospital via my work medical insurance).

I'm getting a little stressed about the biopsy. I found the DRE very uncomfortable - not sure I can stand the thought of having the ultrasound probe up my rear end for 15 minutes, or however long it is it takes. I know I'm being a complete wimp, but can anyone tell me whether it's likely to hurt much?

Also, the admissions letter from the hospital said "You will be unable to drive for 24h after the procedure". Is this really true? I was planning to drive myself there and back. Do I need to make other transport arrangements?

Thanks,

Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 14:00

You have a letter stating that you cannot drive for 24 hours. You would therefore be driving without insurance (and breaking the law) if you chose to ignore it because you felt okay.

Are you sure it is a TRUS biopsy you are having?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 14:14

Yes, definitely a TRUS. Good point about the insurance.

Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 15:17
Hi I had 15 samples taken and it's not that bad I had a good chat and laugh with the nurse through out the procedure it takes your mind off it.

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 17:18

Thanks, Richard. Yes, I guessed that's what you meant. Keen to get it over with now.

Chris

User
Posted 16 May 2018 at 16:27

Biopsy tomorrow. Not looking forward to it at all, but I know it needs doing. At least I should know what's going on by the end of next week.

Chris

User
Posted 16 May 2018 at 23:14

All the best for tomorrow Chris.

The procedure doesn't take long and if its anything like the one I had - it just felt a bit strange but not painful.

Best Regards

Rich

User
Posted 17 May 2018 at 09:57

Hi Chris i had 12 cores taken and just like Rich said its like a elastic band flicking so no lasting pain .As Lyn says do not drive let someone else do that. My hospital did  not release me without a third party signing me out so don't go on your own .

User
Posted 17 May 2018 at 11:10

A friend has kindly agreed to drive me there and back, so no problems with the transport. It's happening at 4pm, so not much longer to wait.

Chris

User
Posted 19 May 2018 at 12:21

How long is it normal to carry on passing blood in the urine for after a TRUS? Two days after mine I'm still seeing a spurt of what looks like quite a lot of blood at the start when I urinate, although it then goes clear. I know that bleeding is normal, but when would I expect to see it start to clear up?

Thanks,

Chris

User
Posted 19 May 2018 at 12:34

They usually say up to a week for urine and 4 weeks in ejaculate I think, don’t they?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 May 2018 at 16:02

Hi Chris,

After my biopsy I noticed blood in my urine for about a week and a half and in my ejaculate for well over six. The Dr who performed my biopsy said that blood in ejaculate can be there for quite sometime as a lot depends on how sexually active a person is. I don't think there is anything to worry about especially as you said that the urine clears after the initial spurt of blood.

Ants

User
Posted 19 May 2018 at 16:09

Thanks, Ants.

This probably sounds really daft, but I've always had a bit of a phobia about blood, so I find it a bit upsetting to see blood when I go to the loo. Just have to put up with it until it goes away!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 26 May 2018 at 15:45
In case it's of any interest to anyone, I've not seen any blood in my urine for the last 24h, so that took almost exactly a week from the time of my biopsy.

Chris