Notification

Error

Old PSA test

User
Posted 15 May 2018 at 11:38

Hi,

New to this forum:

I had a PSA test about 8 years ago, the symptoms were:

Poor flow; unable to empty bladder; need to urinate frequently at night; need to go several times to empty bladder.

The result of the test led to a consultation and the prognosis of enlarged prostate, but not cancer related.

Over the years, the symptoms have not changed (in fact they may be a little worse) and I do often wonder a) If there is any follow up treatment the NHS offer? b) If I should periodically ask for another test at my local surgery? c) If there is any guidance out there to alleviate my concerns?

As I get older and because the symptoms do not go away, I do get concerned if there is any developments resulting from the original enlarged prostate diagnosis.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Steve

User
Posted 15 May 2018 at 17:05

If I were you I would be at my Doctor’s tomorrow for a follow-up PSA test, as well as a referral to my local Urology department.

I am surprised and disappointed that you have not been checked out at least annually for eight years. Just like me.....

Your flow problems could well be helped by the latest advanced developments in medicine.

Best of luck,

John

Edited by member 16 May 2018 at 04:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2018 at 21:27

Looks like there has been a bit of a cock-up somewhere. You should have been advised to continue having PSA tests annually after the first diagnosis.

As Bollinge says, the sooner you get to the GP for a new PA test the better although I don't think asking for a urology referral at this point would be a good idea as you would be referred on the slow route. Best to see what your PSA level is and then ask for a referral if concerned. The GP should do a DRE at the same time (but after the blood test, not immediately before it)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard