Show search

Notification

Error
<12

PSA rising to 0.11, 5 months after RP Surgery

User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 15:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It was actually 1.5 Lyn , a total failure with spread to lymphs. It was 2.2 three weeks later

Yes, sorry CJ - fat fingers, small phone :-/ 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 15:05

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I wonder why there is not chemotherapy or a Tamoxifen-like drug for biochemical recurrence for PCa. I am not at that stage fortunately, so have not looked into it.

Cheers, John.

Because chemo can't cure prostate cancer, it can only wound it to make RT / HT more effective. We do have two or three members that have had early chemo with RT/HT combo but it is extremely rare.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 16:15

@Midcentury - the only scan I had was a planning CAT scan for prostate bed irradation. There was nothing discussed about mets diagnostics. Like I said, the onco flatly refused to discuss anything regarding risk or prognosis. It sounds like they are shoving me on a production line approach to this: SRT - HT - Abi - Chemo - Crem.

@Lynn - I was referring to something way back in my main thread but hey ho, same thing applies, SRT is probably a waste of time for me.

P

User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 16:24
I feel positive for you PP - John had similar stats and 5 years on his PSA is stable so the SRT/HT seems to have been successful. Even if that is only a holding position, it has been enough for him to put it to the back of his mind and act like it never happened :-/
User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 17:32
@Lynn - thanks. A supportive word goes a long way. I’m wobbling badly at the moment because my friend does not have much time left and I’m projecting that situation on to me a bit.

@midcentury - sorry for the diversionary wobble. I should not have played out my own concerns in your thread. What is does lead me to say is if you are having HT keep an eye on your emotional state as that is often (me included) the cause of our ups and downs. I’m in the last week of RT and it has been a long haul.
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 13:06
Here is the latest update. The 18F-PSMA-PET-CT was carried out on Oct 29th. I went for the scan, and they told me that they believed there was something there, and so I went back 20 mins later for another repeat scan again so they could be more certain. Anyway their diagnosis was that they saw moderate uptake in the Prostate bed or Fossa left side, which means a local recurrence, nothing anywhere else, at least at that scan. I have been trolling to different radio oncologists to get their opinions and finally settled on one. The planning scan is next Wed and then after that RT will start in the next week or so. Actually RO couldn't quite believe they found this at such low PSA, but I think my PCa seems to generate a low PSA, while growing quickly. Now will have 37 sessions with perhaps some higher intensity in the area shown in the PSMA scan

I am not looking forward to the SRT one bit, but what can you do, changing diet to more Vegan and Fish, actually changed that over the last months but it doesn't change the PSA rate, but it cant be bad for you. No Hormone Therapy, should I be asking for this?

@ProstatePete glad your SRT went well, Im sure your fatigue will go as you come to the end of your medication as well.

Since I am in Germany for the moment I will have the SRT in Heidelberg and trek there on the train for an hour or something every day, perhaps i have to bring pads and nappies in case. I
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 15:05
Very interesting. Even at much higher psa than yours , both a choline and a psma PET scan have found actually zero on me. My psa is expected to be over 100 in Jan. I’ve still refused SRT given that they have no evidence. Best wishes to you with your treatment
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 15:18
Mid

I hope the fatigue does go away soon as it sucks :)

My understanding is that HT is a sensible adjunct to RT as it increases the effectiveness.

P
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 15:56

Hormone therapy and radiotherapy combined has better outcomes rather than radiotherapy alone is my understanding.

I started HT three months before salvage radiotherapy and for around two years after.

There are others on this forum who have had salvage radiotherapy without hormone therapy.

Hopefully more comments will come.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 16:54
midcentury, for goodness sake, eat what you enjoy, avoidng excess. Vegan and fish alone in diet certainly CAN be bad for you. You will miss out on essential minerals and down the track may need vitamin supplementation. As you have noticed your current diet has no effect on the PSA level,so why persist? Give yourself some occasional red meat pleasure!
AC