Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Opting out of treatment?

User
Posted 18 Mar 2019 at 19:48

You are right in saying you should not be very influenced by a small number of people whose experiences may not be truly representative for success and side effects but even retrospective studies of treatment show a wide range and you don't know where you would slot in an elipse for treatment quite apart from widely differing side effects. There are just so many variables and different responses by men to be specific. If you have researched this you should understand. Take a look at the elipse for each of 3 stages of treatment. You could be anywhere in the range for how successful treatment is. https://prostatecancerfree.org/compare-prostate-cancer-treatments/

No matter how many professionals you see, you cannot get sure answers and it comes down to your personal decision as to whether you decide to have treatment or take your chances without it.

Edited by member 18 Mar 2019 at 19:50  | Reason: to highlight links

Barry
User
Posted 19 Mar 2019 at 16:55
I find sometimes the discussions on here can be very very disturbing for someone who have just be diagnosed , everyone is different and approach things their own way ,even when I was getting rt treatment a fellow patient getting rt was talking and he was in nigh on denial that he had pc. I found it very bizarre . My good friend who passed on after asbestosis , a family man ( me I am single ) saying was ‘ what will be will be ‘ what I personally found helpful was the fact that I knew 5 guys who been or going thru treatment so we compared ‘notes ‘ all still with us . Only once a friend who been thru pc said to me I should have chosen different treatment , when speaking about pc I think you got to choose your words carefully . Still this site as helped me considerably , but sometimes I found it rather ‘ heavy ‘ , to the extent that I didn’t revisit for a few days .
User
Posted 19 Mar 2019 at 16:56
I find sometimes the discussions on here can be very very disturbing for someone who have just be diagnosed , everyone is different and approach things their own way ,even when I was getting rt treatment a fellow patient getting rt was talking and he was in nigh on denial that he had pc. I found it very bizarre . My good friend who passed on after asbestosis , a family man ( me I am single ) saying was ‘ what will be will be ‘ what I personally found helpful was the fact that I knew 5 guys who been or going thru treatment so we compared ‘notes ‘ all still with us . Only once a friend who been thru pc said to me I should have chosen different treatment , when speaking about pc I think you got to choose your words carefully . Still this site as helped me considerably , but sometimes I found it rather ‘ heavy ‘ , to the extent that I didn’t revisit for a few days .
User
Posted 20 Mar 2019 at 17:59

A session with the oncologist today, the same one I had treated with some disdain (according to my wife) the first time around.

His view was that without treatment I would be lucky to survive more than 5 years; I should have questioned the basis of his judgement. My wife, very strangely, found that somewhat alarming. I won't say I was pressured into opting for HT/RT, but strongly steered.

I am also being bombarded with other resources/help. A pity that my advancing years have made catching anything, other than colds, impossible. 

Depressed is my middle name and depression my continual state

User
Posted 20 Mar 2019 at 21:08
Why would you question his judgement? It will have been based on clinical fact based on your presentation.

If you feel pressured then the sensible course is to take charge, consider the facts and make an informed choice. I won’t comment as to what that choice should be because that is your choice good or bad but making a choice is better having it made for you either by being pressured or letting events control you.