Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

My RALP

User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 22:18

Good to hear your progress . All the best to you.  

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 08:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I wish you 100% success with your results. I don’t mean to pee on your parade but champagne isn’t best known for keeping. Best get a new one to avoid disappointment lol. Good luck

Haha, If nothing else, it'll be a Formula 1 Grand Prix style podium finish.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 09:22

Wishing you as others have said well with your results. 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 12:20

Hi Kev

It was good to read your post although when I read all the tough stuff you have had to go through I feel incredibly lucky that my RAPR seems to have gone remarkably well with very limited SE.

I had my PR removed at London Bridge hospital less than 2 weeks ago. Apart from shoulder pain, particularly the right shoulder - linked as others have mentioned to diaphragm pushing down during op and CO2 - some general tenderness around the wounds etc I was able to stop all paracetamol and ibuprofen a week after the operation.  I had none of the swollen scrotum, bowel, catheter and peeing issues you have described.

Like you sleep in hospital was at best fitful as the nursing staff did regular checks throughout the night, particularly the first night; my operation was late evening and I was only back in my room at 20:30.  Ice-cream and yoghurt only for supper after having had nothing to eat all day!

I had no abdominal drain post op and my 6 wounds were all closed with what looks like a clear plastic adhesive; no redness, all flat and no staples.  There was some bruising and tenderness around the big 2inch cut above my belly button.

The hospital physio had me up and doing a corridor walk on the morning after the operation.  I could walk ‘tall’, take steps - no shuffling - and could sit up and get out of bed relatively easily.  I coud bend down although obviously coughing was sore. I was able to shower on day 2 after the operation.

I was in the hospital for 3 nights and then got train from London Bridge - we missed the terrorist incident there by 15 minutes; we were on a 13:45 train and the incident kicked off at 14:00 - to Gatwick for flight to Jersey late Friday afternoon flight.  All went fine and assistance at Gatwick was great.  

It was good to get home and I slept in a spare bedroom; sleep was fitful as I was suffering from severe headaches which were linked to very high blood pressure.  My GP prescribed medication to control this last Monday and apart from BP falling a bit I feel a lot better.

I had my catheter - I had the penile catheter rather than the supra pelvic one - removed last Thursday - 9 days after surgery - and this was a big relief.  I am delighted I am completely dry and in control.  No leaks or need for pads, waterproof mattress cover etc.

It turns out that RP was the right call as during the RP surgery the surgeon established that the cancer had spread outside the capsule - something that was not evident from MRI scan etc - and he took out some margin. I am now in the holding pattern of monitoring PSA results in 4 weeks time and quarterly thereafter to establish if in fact the surgeon got it all. Apparently Brachy would not have been an option if it had been established that my cancer had spread outside the capsule.

And then last night was delighted to wake up during the night with a strong hard nocturnal erection!

So all good right now and I am feeling fine and strong.  I have been for walks on the beach, and been into town for Christmas market and even attended a Christmas drinks party on Saturday night.

So I feel very fortunate and hope your recovery continues to improve each day.

Cheers

Grant60

User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 13:51

Recommend a bucket or washing up bowl by your bed to put your overnight urine bag in. Don’t forget to swap to the longer hose!!!!

I'll remember that as well Pete - thanks!

User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 17:35

End of week 5
Today is exactly 5 weeks since my RALP surgery.

Quite a milestone this week. No more blockages or debris when peeing, although a slight pink tinge is still evident in the last few drops.

It now feels like I can pee like a horse! Pretty amazing, but I can't remember the last time I had such a good flow, and must be at least 5 years due to the old enlarged prostate. My other half reminded me that it was one of the factors steering me towards surgery on my pca diagnosis.
Despite this good news, I'm still up 3-4 times a night to pee.

Edited by member 14 Dec 2019 at 09:16  | Reason: Grammar

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 19:30

Update: 6 week post-op follow up with Registrar today.

Histology results are good and although desease was close to the margin, no cancer cells were found in lymph nodes, seminal glands or fatty tissue surrounding prostate. So the original diagnosis stands. I'm officially T2C N0 M0 I guess.

Next appointment will be in three months time including a PSA check and results.

My one outstanding wound has finally scabbed over. Doctor examined my abdomen and is happy with my progress, but has advised me not to over-do exercising for risk of a hernia (I can live with that for now).

I also mentioned that my maximum wee output is around 300ml and I get up 3-4 times a night. He said it was normal and that night visits would improve over time.

Yep, still early days, but another small step in the right direction and a giant leap in our confidence. Might even have a tipple of something by way of celebration.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by member 26 Dec 2019 at 12:02  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 19:53

Hi Kev

Tip top result for histology. Enjoy the tipple and have a fantastic festive break.

TG

Edited by member 25 Dec 2019 at 09:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Dec 2019 at 07:25

Good to hear Kev. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 10:20

I wish you 100% success with your results. I don’t mean to pee on your parade but champagne isn’t best known for keeping. Best get a new one to avoid disappointment lol. Good luck

Hi Chris,

You were spot on.. the champagne opened like a dry orgasm and was the same colour as the contents of a catheter bag. I still drank some though (until my other half threw it down the sink). We re-toasted with a back-up bottle of Prosecco.

Good health everyone!

Kev.

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 11:08

Made the same mistake a few years back with a case of Bollinger. Got handed down from my father. Think he won it randomly on a credit card competition mid 80s. When opened it tasted like sherry 😬 Such a waste of the 8 bottles left 😒

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:47

Hubby kept port since Uni days 40 years ago not good had turned to vinegar! 

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 12:57

Update:

Almost 14 weeks post-op.

PSA result <0.03 undetectable. 

Fitness wise I'm feeling great, jogging 5km isn't an issue, and I can do 40 minutes walk/run on the treadmill a couple of times a week. No idea if I can ride a bike yet so I'll ask at my next appointment in June. 

Flying out to Lanzarote with my OH tomorrow for some winter sun (and to reset my head). Might even have a celebratory drink, hic!

Cheers and good luck everyone.

Edited by member 11 Jun 2020 at 14:11  | Reason: Oops! Typo.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 12:59

Fantastic news Kev. Enjoy the break 🍻

TG

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 20:09

Great to hear. Enjoy your break.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 14:08

Latest PSA result: <0.03 undetectable.

That's the second one in the bag for me.. so far so good. 

Blood tested Monday at my local hospital where the pathology department is operating normally with social distancing in operation, and vampires wearing gloves & masks. Nurse gave me my result over the phone today. 

I'll have a beer tonight and will raise my glass to everyone on here.

Cheers and good luck!

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 15:39
👍 Excellent news. Hope it continues

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 16:08

Great result. Long may that continue.

Best wishes,

Ido4

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 18:34

Kev T

Great news .

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Jun 2020 at 15:44

Fantastic news.

Those PSA tests are character building to say the least. 

Hope those beers took some damage :-)

Simon

User
Posted 02 Oct 2020 at 16:28

Third PSA post-op result is <0.03 undetectable.

I emailed PALS after having difficulty contacting the hospital and having appointments cancelled due to covid. The result being a PSA test form, and a new ED appointment next week replacing the one they cancelled. Result!

ED wise, things are definitely improving. Nowhere near pre-OP standards, but I can manage penetration now which is a huge psychological boost. I owe a big thanks to all those on this site who have posted some fantastic advice on the subject.

To everyone else still struggling, try not to be disheartened, don't give up but keep trying. 

I might even have a celebratory beer tonight.. and I will raise my glass to everyone on here.

Cheers and good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2020 at 17:16

Kev

Great news, long may it continue.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Oct 2020 at 08:58
Always good to get good news on here, keep it up😃
User
Posted 03 Oct 2020 at 10:53

Great update. 

Ido4

User
Posted 13 Apr 2021 at 22:12

Update:

Just had my fourth PSA result at 17 months post op and it's undetectable. Last year, at my delayed 6 month telephone consultation, it was decided that as it was so close to a year, I was moving to six monthly tests (yes I protested).
Still doing my PFE's and using the pump every day. Continence is good and I'm making progress on the ED front. I have been prescribed injections but hopefully if I keep making 'natural' progress, this will not have to be long term solution.

Good luck everyone. 

Kev.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2021 at 22:29

Great news Kev! May the good progress continue :-)

Simon

User
Posted 14 Apr 2021 at 07:34

Great news and glad you are continuing to make progress

User
Posted 14 Apr 2021 at 09:24

Great news. Long may it continue.

Jim

User
Posted 14 Apr 2021 at 09:54
Great news
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Apr 2021 at 13:43
👍 Good news always welcome, long may it continue

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 14 Apr 2021 at 15:03

Great news.

Ido4

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 12:47

Just short of my 2 year RALP anniversary and my latest 6 monthly PSA result is 0.07 bringing the run of 'undetectable' to an end, which to state the obvious, isn't what I was hoping to hear. I'm now back to 3 monthly checks, the next being January, when I'll find out if this is a blip or not. 

My scheduled appointment for November was cancelled so hopefully a new one will be made so I can discuss the result and plan ahead.

Reading other posts on this forum gives me a heads up, and I realise that my tests are sensitive compared to other trusts where under 0.1 is considered undetectable. 

On the ED front, it's not what it was pre op so I use Caverject for events which is pretty reliable. I plan on going back to tadalafil and sildenafil which I will buy privately.

Good luck everyone. 

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 13:19

Well it is still pretty low, so not too much to worry about yet, as Lyn will tell you she has a higher PSA than that when she has an orgasm. 

Why are you buying ED medicine privately when you are entitled to a free prescription, up to five years after cancer treatment, and for life if you still need medication for the side effects of cancer treatment? You will of course be entitled to free prescriptions at the age of 60 anyway unless changes which are hinted in the budget go through, when that concession for age will be withdrawn, whereas the concession for cancer patients is currently not under threat.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 14:20

Well it is still pretty low, so not too much to worry about yet, as Lyn will tell you she has a higher PSA than that when she has an orgasm. 

Why are you buying ED medicine privately when you are entitled to a free prescription, up to five years after cancer treatment, and for life if you still need medication for the side effects of cancer treatment? You will of course be entitled to free prescriptions at the age of 60 anyway unless changes which are hinted in the budget go through, when that concession for age will be withdrawn, whereas the concession for cancer patients is currently not under threat.

Hi Dave, 

Yes I have an exemption which I now use for my Caverject prescription.

A month following surgery I had a battle with my GP over my tadalafil prescription when I asked for a repeat ("so you just want an erection"), despite letters from my urologist. I ended up buying it privately for a few months due to my GP playing ping-pong. It's not a battle I want to fight again so I'll go private for my next round tadalafil and sildenafil experiments. 

I've had more luck with Caverject though, the chemist just asks me if it's on repeat every time I pick up, so I'm not going to rock the boat.

Cheers, Kev.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 14:59

If I could remember my last orgasm 😭

It's true though - breast milk probably has more PSA in it than you have at the moment. John's PSA has been bobbing at the 0.1 Mark for 8 years now and he is fine - we don't worry about it any more. Onco says he may just be a naturally high producer of non-prostate specific PSA 🤷‍♀️

Edited by member 26 Oct 2021 at 15:03  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard