<12

Possible spread to right hip bone

User
Posted 04 Jun 2020 at 16:36

Great news

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 11:26

Hi All,

Some Fantastic News!  Keith has just had phone consultation with his Oncologist following on from their MDT meeting on Tuesday.  After reviewing all scans he is going to assume the lesion to the pelvic bone is not spread of the disease (metastasised) and therefore nothing to worry about as there has been no change to this lesion following chemo, so will be treating the PCa as ‘curative’ with 20 sessions of radiotherapy to the prostate and seminal vesicles.  Will have CT Scan in the next week or so for tattoos to mark out for the radiotherapy. So start radiotherapy at QE Birmingham in about 4 weeks.  Will stay on HT three monthly injections for now.

We really feel we can move forward now. after being anxious and very apprehensive for the last 10 months.

When we think back, this all started from Keith going to see his GP to have a hernia checked out and he mentioned his Dad had lived with prostate cancer (although passed away with a different cancer at the age of 87) and asked if he should have a PSA test........

Good luck to everyone waiting for scans/results.

Phil - have you received your PSA result from Monday?  Hope it’s a good one.

Onwards and Upwards.

Angexx

Edited by member 18 Jul 2020 at 17:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 11:41

Hi,

Just an added thought, has anyone on the forum had RT to prostate AND seminal vesicles? Or prostate and seminal vesicles removed together (not sure if that is a possible)?

Thank you.

Angexx

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 11:59
Seminal vesicles are always removed as part of prostatectomy.

They will also be in the zone for radiation treatment

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 12:16

Thanks for your reply Johnathan, my mind has gone into overdrive as I am now wondering whether my husband could now possibly have two options, either to go down the route of RP or RT.  His Oncologist didn’t mention this and it isn’t until you put the phone down you think of different scenarios to the one mentioned.

Angex

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 13:28

Hi Ange, great news regarding the lesions. A weight off your minds.

I had HD Brachytherapy with EB Radiotherapy and they zapped my Seminal Vesicles as well. Mine had spread there but I get the impression they do it anyway. I didn’t consider surgery as I was pretty determined to go the RT route. 
I don’t know much about the surgery I’m afraid but I’m sure the RP guys will pop on soon.

I am hoping to get my PSA result back tomorrow. It’s an odd period as I know it’s likely gone up a bit as the HT wears off and it gets back to a normal level . Another 3 months to find out how the Testosterone is coming along. Must admit I’m looking forward to my next counselling even though it’s going to be my last 😒 I will miss it , wish I’d done it years ago. 

I’ve been on the phone this morning to a pal who’s PCa has come back within months of having seed implant Brachytherapy. He’s bricking it a bit as they realised in February it was back but still waiting for some kind of detailed scan to see where it is before they decide if they can do anything. I really feel for him as he was diagnosed after me and it was supposedly only small and slow growing and now I’m coming out the other side and he’s still unsure if the future. Shame we can’t go down the Pub to drown our sorrows.

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 16:29

Hi Phil,

Yes, such a huge relief.  I must have another read through your bio about HD Brachytherapy and EB Radiotherapy.  Keith’s Oncologist only mentioned Radiotherapy.  The disease has spread to his seminal vesicles so hopefully radiotherapy will blast these too.

I mentioned to Keith about what he would do if there was the possibility of him having a RP at this stage but he says he would still choose to take the RT route.  I know when they first mentioned the possibility of disease spread my thought was ‘oh no that means they can’t just take it away, get rid of it’ but of course I didn’t know then what PCa was all about.  Not as straight forward as that in many cases.

I hope you receive good PSA results and that your testosterone levels are increasing as they should.  I would think having come off your HT that you will start to feel stronger emotionally too.

I am sorry to hear about your pal’s outcome and can imagine how you feel for him.  All we can do is hope this disease can be kept at bay for as long as possible and try to carry on as best we can living our lives and enjoying as many good times as we can together.

I’m glad you’ve found counselling a great help.  I do think as we get older our memories dwell more on difficult times we experienced in our younger days.  I am absolutely certain that I could have done with some counselling from something that should have been dealt with when I was 6 that was brushed under the carpet as it was obviously thought better at the time not to dwell on it.  Maybe, looking back, I wouldn’t have had the insecurities/depression I experienced from the age of 13.  My life changed from when I met Keith and he’s been my soulmate for the last 33 years, lucky me....

All the best to you, your wife and family.

Angex

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 12:38

Hi All,

Keith received a phone call yesterday from QE Birmingham confirming this Friday 19th June to have CT planning scan and tattoo markings ready for RT.  We can’t fault our NHS, everything moving along so fast.  We just hope this is the right way to go and we are trying to be as positive as we can but every now and then we both throw a wobbly.
Hopefully, when RT sessions are completed Keith can have his hernia sorted out as that causes him a lot of discomfort.  It’s something he’s had to keep under control with a truss for almost twelve months now.

It’s our youngest Grandson’s 5th Birthday tomorrow and his garden is just at the back of ours so we’ll be over there to celebrate (just six of us social distancing of course).  Just hope we don’t have any thunder storms.

Good luck and best wishes to all on the forum.

Ange x

P.S.  Has anyone heard news from Bazza?

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 12:54

That’s good that Keith’s treatment plan is moving on.
Enjoy the Birthday Party πŸ₯³ .

By the way I got my latest PSA which was higher than I expected at 0.97. Lynn assures me I should have nothing to worry about as I still have some Prostate left , albeit possibly a bit mushy after RT 🀦‍♀️.

Hopefully Keith’s RT team are as good as mine were. I felt quite emotional at my last session 😒.

Phil

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 13:39

Thanks Phil, that’s really appreciated.

I’m pleased Lyn was able to give you some reassurance about your PSA.  It’s just what you need during these worrying times. You’ve come so far on your journey, which gives us all hope.

Hope this makes you smile πŸ˜ƒ Keith’s new truss arrived this morning for his hernia.  He has to lie down to push his hernia back into place and he said this morning ‘I hope I’m pushing the correct bit in’ as he can’t always be sure as it’s so close to his other bits.  We both ended up in fits of laughter.  

Take good care of yourself and I hope you feel like getting out on your bike soon.  Keith mentioned to his Onco that he’s started cycling again (used to belong to a cycling club in his younger days and I think he is reminiscing as he’s purchased the Lycra shorts, etc., to look the part, much to our Daughters’ disgust). Anyway, I digress, Onco said don’t go falling off and undo all the good work we’ve done.  Perish the thought!!
Angex

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 13:55

Thank you Ange, I just wanted reassurance really and Lynn gave me that.

Oh dear Ange, I can just picture the pair of you falling about 🀣.

Funny but I actually started my rides yesterday and again this morning. Only 8 miles along the sea wall but it’s early days. So nice out early morning . My bum tells me i should have a day off tomorrow.....

I hide my cycling shorts under normal shorts.....

Take care

Phil

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 14:18

That’s great Phil, cycling 8 miles and breathing in the sea air sounds wonderful....x

User
Posted 09 Jul 2020 at 18:02

Hi,

Update - Keith went for No.3 of 20  Radiotherapy sessions today.  A slight problem as when he puts his hernia back in position prior to Radiotherapy, he was told today that it does not go back into same position each time and may cause a problem with targeting area going forward.  Tomorrow for 4th session they are going to try with hernia in the out position and see what happens and will need to discuss with Oncologist.

Hernia was diagnosed just prior to the prostate cancer and Oncologist wanted Chemotherapy and RT before the hernia op.

Has anyone on this forum had a similar problem?  I seem to recall someone on the forum mentioning her husband having a hernia too.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings, but Keith a bit disheartened today.

Best wishes to all  going forward with your journeys.

Ange

User
Posted 10 Jul 2020 at 10:31

Stress over as all sorted today, so onwards and upwards.  Looking forward to the weekend now, catching up with family and Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Best wishes to all.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2020 at 13:01

Good news , glad it’s all sorted now. They are so accurate with the radiotherapy now everything needs to be the same each time. I couldn’t fault my RT team . They felt like family by the end.

Have a nice weekend. Hope the F1 goes well , maybe another podium for Norris πŸ‘.

Phil

User
Posted 10 Jul 2020 at 15:33

Hi Phil, that’s exactly my thinking good to know that they are so precise. Just keeping our fingers crossed that all goes ok without any damage being caused to bowel, etc.

Yes, we were really pleased for Norris and looking forward to his next race.
Hope everything is going ok for you and for your pal who you were concerned about.
Enjoy the sunshine.

Angex

User
Posted 16 Jul 2020 at 08:31

Update - Keith on 8 of 20 Radiotherapy sessions.  Has had diarrhoea the last two days and his hemorrrhoids are a problem at the moment too (has had this problem for years so I knew this procedure would make this worse).  He has to have a micro-enema (5ml micralax) before each treatment so I suppose after 8 days it is to be expected.  He usually uses anasol  suppositories but will need to check whether ok to use these.  

Any advice re. diet, etc., would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ange x

User
Posted 16 Jul 2020 at 10:21
Hi Ange when I had it last year they dispensed with the micro enemas at the halfway stage.

I got pretty bad trots and they put me on fybogel to bind the poos even though it's a constipation remedy it seemed to help

Not insinuating he's not but Keith just needs to ensure he cleans himself up 100% otherwise the acid in the diarrhoea burns the rectum walls and it becomes inflamed and very sore.

Hope he gets through his last 12 sessions unscathed.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2020 at 10:44

Hi Jasper,

Just read your reply out to Keith. Thank you, very much appreciated.

Hope all going well for you.

Ange x

User
Posted 16 Jul 2020 at 14:10

Hi Ange

I've mentioned before that Bepenthan (nappy rash cream) is very good for sore bum.
Recommended by my colorectal consultant who said use as much and often as you want inside or out.

Cheers
Bill

Edited by member 16 Jul 2020 at 14:50  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 16 Jul 2020 at 19:29

Thank you Bill.  Will give it a try.

Ange x

User
Posted 03 Aug 2020 at 11:37

Hi All,

Keith had his 20th RT session this morning.  Next appointment will be 15th October for phone consultation with his Oncologist.   Hopefully all will go well.  We’ll just try to stay positive and move forward.

Thinking of you all.

Stay strong.

Ange x

User
Posted 09 Oct 2020 at 23:22

Hi, just an update on Keith’s progress.  He had a phone consultation with his Onco yesterday, a week earlier than expected (don’t know which is worse, waiting for the phone to ring or sitting in the waiting room to be called in, but I think face to face is best option).  Pleased with bloods and PSA 0.101, down from 0.873 in June 2020.  We are so happy and relieved πŸ˜€ 

Will have another PSA test in 3 months.  We are assuming that unless PSA shows any increase next time, and hopefully it will decrease even further, that the Chemo/RT/HT has stopped any progression and that the pelvis/hip lesion was not spread of cancer.  Who knows, there will always be that doubt now, but we are very grateful to be where we are at this stage.

We have decided to try our best not to worry until the next test and live our lives as best as any of us are able under the present circumstances.  

Thinking of all those who have had their lives turned upside down with the anxiety, pain and suffering this awful disease brings.

Keep safe all.

Ange xx

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 08:04
Hi Ange, great news for Keith. Other members on here have indicated that PSA reaches its nadir 18 months after RT finishes so he should be good for the next few tests.

I'm at the 18 month post RT stage now so my next appointment with my Onco in December is starting to give me the yips..

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 10:03

Thank you Jasper.  We are so relieved and it’s good that Keith can relax for a while.  We were so fortunate that the Covid situation didn’t delay any treatment, as we know this has been the case for some cancer patients.

Good luck with your December appointment, an anxious time waiting.  Hope all goes well for you.

Ange x

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 17:08
Brilliant news!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Feb 2021 at 15:07

Hi All,

An update on Keith’s progress.  Phone call from Oncologist today, PSA down from 0.10 to 0.068.  So good news, still going in the right direction.  Next PSA test in August 2021 so going to six monthly and by then will have been on HT (three monthly Prostap injections) for 18 months.  We are really happy with this result. 

Good luck to all and keep safe.

Angex

User
Posted 12 Feb 2021 at 16:30
Really good news. Delighted for you!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 15:29

Some good news on Keith’s progress.  After being diagnosed two years ago with PCa and having 6 sessions of chemo followed by radiotherapy, his Oncologist has just confirmed a PSA result of 0.015 and that the three monthly Prostap injection he had last week will be his last one (for the foreseeable future). We are ‘over the moon’ with this result and are determined to stay positive and keep looking to the future.  As we all know, life is so precious.  Bitter/sweet news as my wonderful Brother was diagnosed with Colon Cancer at around the same time two years ago and lost his hard fight/struggle on 11th August.  God Bless all coping with this awful disease.

Ange x

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 22:00
Oh Ange, that is lovely news for you and Keith but how sad for you and your family as well x
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Aug 2021 at 13:38

Thank you for your kind thoughts Lyn x

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 18:24
Ange my story is very similar to Keith’s I wonder how he is.

Im on three monthly Zoladex in fact next one tomorrow

Barry