Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Sudden big rise in PSA after moving to Prostap

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 20:55

Joey

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept my sincere condolences. I will raise a glass to him tonight. Love and hugs, take care of yourself.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 21:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Dear joey

I will raise my glass for you dear grandad... so sorry ..it sounds like he had a peaceful passing, though probably I am sure you would have wanted him out of hospital. its a total crap disease...isn’t any terminal one? 

My dad is not doing good (maybe a similar age to your grandad 84?), he’s at home, but he spent his lifetime very fit and healthy, so now he’s becoming very weak to get up, eat etc ... he does not like to make any fuss but has mentioned the doctor twice in last 2 days but no answer back from Macmillan nurse ...it goes to answer machine.

Sorry dear Joey, sorry you have lost your beloved grandad to this disease and bless you for thinking of others.

best wishes

anne 

xx

Thank you Anne, I am sorry to hear that your dad isn't too good, if he doesn't make a fuss usually but he has mentioned the doctor in the past few days I'd maybe recommend calling out his GP to visit him at home or maybe even worse case scenario call an ambulance to get the ball rolling.. After all your father does have advanced prostate cancer so it isn't like you are wasting the ambulance crews time, for us it was like an endless loop when trying to call oncology/urology or even the GP but the only progress that was made was actually during my grandad being in hospital. 

I hope your dad is helped soon and all of you keep strong,

Joe 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 21:26

Dear joey

I will raise my glass for you dear grandad... so sorry ..it sounds like he had a peaceful passing, though probably I am sure you would have wanted him out of hospital. its a total crap disease...isn’t any terminal one? 

My dad is not doing good (maybe a similar age to your grandad 84?), he’s at home, but he spent his lifetime very fit and healthy, so now he’s becoming very weak to get up, eat etc ... he does not like to make any fuss but has mentioned the doctor twice in last 2 days but no answer back from Macmillan nurse ...it goes to answer machine.

Sorry dear Joey, sorry you have lost your beloved grandad to this disease and bless you for thinking of others.

best wishes

anne 

xx

Thank you Anne, I am sorry to hear that your dad isn't too good, if he doesn't make a fuss usually but he has mentioned the doctor in the past few days I'd maybe recommend calling out his GP to visit him at home or maybe even worse case scenario call an ambulance to get the ball rolling.. After all your father does have advanced prostate cancer so it isn't like you are wasting the ambulance crews time, for us it was like an endless loop when trying to call oncology/urology or even the GP but the only progress that was made was actually during my grandad being in hospital. 

I hope your dad is helped soon and all of you keep strong,

Joe 

Dear Joe

thank you so much for taking time to advise this when you are going through the toughest time. It is so crap....

i have left a message for the Macmillan nurse on their voicemail so hopefully she will respond tomorrow. I just hope we can keep dad out of hospital now as it seems with Covid visiting would be very difficult.

you take care & raising a cheers to your grandad and brighter days for you.

xx

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 23:08
I am so sad for you and your mum and the wider family, Joe - diagnosis to dying in 5 months is exceptionally rare. I hope that in the future, you will look back and be proud that you challenged rubbish practice and fought for him to be treated with kindness and dignity.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 00:30

Thank you Chris, sending all my well wishes your way

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 00:35

I am so sad for you and your mum and the wider family, Joe - diagnosis to dying in 5 months is exceptionally rare. I hope that in the future, you will look back and be proud that you challenged rubbish practice and fought for him to be treated with kindness and dignity.

Thank you Lyn, all of your advice and support has been very much appreciated. I realise it is rare in that short space of time, I do feel guilty because on initial diagnosis my grandad wanted to give up but the consultant said he is not going to pass away in a short space of time and estimated they could give him 2 more years which made him pick up.

All in all this forum and community gave me the strength to go on, albeit with the thought that we had more time but it none the less kept me going. 

Thanks for everything 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 10:11

Missed this last night, so sorry for your loss. I am thinking of you and your family. I will raise a glass to your Grandad tonight. 

Ido4

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 13:13

Sincere condolences Joey.  I will raise a glass to your lovely grandad.  Take care x

User
Posted 26 Oct 2020 at 19:36

Thank you all, I really appreciate it. It is easy for me to appear strong via these messages but it still doesn't feel real, I hope I eventually come to terms with it. To everyone reading this, this is the story of a 91 year old man so please don't assume the worst if you are newly diagnosed, as Lyn has said this is a very rare scenario to go from diagnosis to the end in the space of 5 months so please go on and remain positive!

User
Posted 26 Oct 2020 at 20:04

Dear Joe

So sorry for the loss of your grandad... I still miss my grandad who died 25 years ago but feel grateful for times to have had such a lovely grandad.  It’s obvious you loved your grandad very much ... after all cancer is just a very very small part of someone’s life and will not define them.

I am beginning to realise it does not matter the age of a person...if you love them and have lost them then it’s always going to hurt.

Now I am facing my dads decline with advanced prostate cancer and even with the best 2nd line Abiraterone drugs it’s not working (he did very well on hormone injections for 18 months). It seems to me that nothing is guaranteed and people can reel off their medical scores but everyone is different.

I wish you a good future, enjoy your life every precious day and I suspect you and I will meet our loved ones in another way.

anne

xx