Null

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 10:37

Edit

Edited by member 12 Feb 2021 at 09:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 21:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I was prepared for the blood and small clots, but the stinging! It's like passing acid when the flow starts. Is this simply due to the "insult" to my urethra? I'm also noticing an occasional "dewdrop" arriving unannounced - not sure I anticipated that from the biopsy - any ballpark as to how long that might persist?

I was told I'd wake up with a catheter after my template biopsy. When I woke up, I had a quick grope down there, and no catheter. I asked one of the nurses, and she was surprised too. Asked one of the surgeons later that evening, and he said they decided I didn't need one. It may be that they were not targeting areas near the urethra.

However, I had a catheter for 24h during/after my HDR brachytherapy (which is not a million miles different from a template biopsy). That stung after it came out, and I think it's the catheter itself irritating the urethra. I think I probably got a UTI from the catheter. I did go along to A&E the following weekend and was given an antibiotic.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 23:41
40-50 cores is fairly standard for a template biopsy under GA.

Are you a person who tends towards allergies? The stinging could be a reaction to the material of the catheter tube?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 06:20

I had forty-two samples taken during my transperineal biopsy, and I only felt I was peeing razor blades for the first two micturitions whilst on the hospital ward.

Subsequently, there was the inevitable passing of old dark blood and the odd clot, and strawberry coloured semen (which I am assured didn’t taste of strawberries...😉) for two or three weeks.

The biopsy unfortunately confirmed my cancer, but following a prostatectomy, here I am, two and a half years later, cancer-free.

I had a letter yesterday about my poo-on-a-stick bowel cancer screening test which fortunately was all-clear. One cancer is more than enough!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by moderator 09 Jan 2021 at 10:00  | Reason: Profanities

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 07:44

Mine was 34 biopsies, but concentrated mostly in the anterior, and some random ones elsewhere. One apparently contained no sample, so 33 usable samples.

At my age 55 bowel screening, I was pulled off into a trial to have it done as a colonoscopy rather than the usual lollipop stick affair. I got the all clear, and remember thinking, phew, no cancer. Oh how wrong - less than a year later, diagnosed with PCa.

I was told I'd have another routine bowel screening at age 60 - I'm not clear if still part of the trial, and if that was to be a colonoscopy or back to a lollipop stick, but in any case, the colonoscopy screening program was permanently closed in December 2020 because of COVID, switching over entirely to lollipop sticks. I can tell them there's blood without returning the stick, as a result of radiotherapy.

You're lucky to get even a lollipop stick just now - bowel screening in much of the UK was mostly suspended because there was a backlog of 6000 positive tests which hadn't been followed up due to COVID. These would normally yield 500-600 cases of bowel cancer after followup.

Edited by member 09 Jan 2021 at 07:48  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 21:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I was prepared for the blood and small clots, but the stinging! It's like passing acid when the flow starts. Is this simply due to the "insult" to my urethra? I'm also noticing an occasional "dewdrop" arriving unannounced - not sure I anticipated that from the biopsy - any ballpark as to how long that might persist?

I was told I'd wake up with a catheter after my template biopsy. When I woke up, I had a quick grope down there, and no catheter. I asked one of the nurses, and she was surprised too. Asked one of the surgeons later that evening, and he said they decided I didn't need one. It may be that they were not targeting areas near the urethra.

However, I had a catheter for 24h during/after my HDR brachytherapy (which is not a million miles different from a template biopsy). That stung after it came out, and I think it's the catheter itself irritating the urethra. I think I probably got a UTI from the catheter. I did go along to A&E the following weekend and was given an antibiotic.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 23:41
40-50 cores is fairly standard for a template biopsy under GA.

Are you a person who tends towards allergies? The stinging could be a reaction to the material of the catheter tube?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 06:20

I had forty-two samples taken during my transperineal biopsy, and I only felt I was peeing razor blades for the first two micturitions whilst on the hospital ward.

Subsequently, there was the inevitable passing of old dark blood and the odd clot, and strawberry coloured semen (which I am assured didn’t taste of strawberries...😉) for two or three weeks.

The biopsy unfortunately confirmed my cancer, but following a prostatectomy, here I am, two and a half years later, cancer-free.

I had a letter yesterday about my poo-on-a-stick bowel cancer screening test which fortunately was all-clear. One cancer is more than enough!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by moderator 09 Jan 2021 at 10:00  | Reason: Profanities

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 07:44

Mine was 34 biopsies, but concentrated mostly in the anterior, and some random ones elsewhere. One apparently contained no sample, so 33 usable samples.

At my age 55 bowel screening, I was pulled off into a trial to have it done as a colonoscopy rather than the usual lollipop stick affair. I got the all clear, and remember thinking, phew, no cancer. Oh how wrong - less than a year later, diagnosed with PCa.

I was told I'd have another routine bowel screening at age 60 - I'm not clear if still part of the trial, and if that was to be a colonoscopy or back to a lollipop stick, but in any case, the colonoscopy screening program was permanently closed in December 2020 because of COVID, switching over entirely to lollipop sticks. I can tell them there's blood without returning the stick, as a result of radiotherapy.

You're lucky to get even a lollipop stick just now - bowel screening in much of the UK was mostly suspended because there was a backlog of 6000 positive tests which hadn't been followed up due to COVID. These would normally yield 500-600 cases of bowel cancer after followup.

Edited by member 09 Jan 2021 at 07:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 14:28
The bowel cancer screening is not via a lollipop stick now. There is a small test tube with liquid and a blue stick with grooves, about the size of a matchstick.

You just rub the grooves on the faeces, fill the grooves and put the stick back in the tube and that’s it. No samples from successive motions anymore. Result came back within 72 hours of posting it off. The letter said I’m due another one at some point, can’t remember when.

Cheers, John.