Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

PSA 28

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:01

Hi, I've a history of prostatitis. Three bouts some 15-20 yes ago. I'm 63 now and in good health. Routine blood test gave a PSA of 28. I had some vigorous sex with prostate massage some 30 hrs prior - no, they didn't tell me they were going to screen for PSA. Three weeks later after a more monastic life, PSA was 28.1

I've not seen a GP. Had no DRE or chat.

Been referred to urology at a hospital hour and a half away. Appointment will be 45 days from first test.....

No other symptoms. Ipps score of 2!

As you can imagine, very worried.

It could just be prostatitis again as it does feel heavy but not as bad as before.....

Any help & advice welcome

(I am in West Wales, Hwyl dda health board)

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 15:26
If your results are inconclusive, wait a week or two or three for your mp-MRI scan on the NHS.

Most prostate cancers are VERY slow growing.

I waited six months following diagnosis until I found the right surgeon to do my prostatectomy, with no ill effect.

Be patient, and save your money. There will be much more waiting to come...

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:27

The sex, cycling etc. Could lift psa by about 0.5; as you have found, perhaps 0.1 in your case. I don't really know how much prostatitis would raise psa, probably a lot but I just don't know. My psa was 28 at diagnosis. I googled it and found a site which said psa 10=50% chance of cancer psa 30=100% chance of cancer. I can't remember the website, and in reality those figures are not entirely realistic.

If you were in England you should have been referred within 14 days. Wales may have different policies.

Prostate cancer is slow growing, but you have a high chance of having it, I would be pushing to get this investigated very soon. 

Dave

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:28

ProfZarkov,

Sorry, yes this is a very anxious time while you wait for answers, but unfortunately, you do have to wait - we can't preempt them. It could be prostatitis. Your appointment should be within 14 days of referral by GP, but there are delays in some places due to COVID at the moment. This is unlikely to matter in the case of prostate cancer which is usually slow moving. You can ask to be referred to a different hospital if you wish.

In a way, it's good your GP referred you without any extra investigative work - GP's are not generally very expert in prostates, and could have ended up wasting time trying to treat prostatitis (which they are usually unsuccessful in doing anyway). Urology will know much better what they're doing, and get you answers faster.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 14:11
We have had men with PSA of 60, 80 or even a bit higher than that who were subsequently given the all clear. A very enlarged prostate can cause a heightened PSA, as can prostatitis. All your PSA of 28 indicates is that further assessment is needed.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 15:46
The first urologist I saw said the highest PSA he had known that was not a result of cancer was 400. However he did say that was very unusual

Fingers crossed it’s nothing sinister

Bri

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 15:53
You should of course be prepared for the likelihood that it is prostate cancer, but don't make any assumptions: that's what the diagnosis process is for. The likely progression of events is an MRI scan and, if that shows anything suspicious, a biopsy. Then you'll know where things stand and what, if anything, needs doing.

Try not to get too stressed. The overwhelming majority of cases of prostate cancer are eminently treatable.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 14:45

Hi,

We also live in West Wales, David my husband went to Cheltenham for his scans. https://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/

This is a private scan, and it cost around £1000, that was five years ago. The other private hospital locally is 

BMI Werndale Hospital

Private hospital in Bancyfelin, Wales.

Im not sure what facilities they have .

I hope this helps.

Leila 

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 18:19
Waiting is the hardest thing. Most people feel a lot better when know where they stand, because there's then a plan of action. Just have to take things a day at a time until the diagnostic process grinds its way to a conclusion.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 14:11

My local hospital has a mobile MRI scanner (in a shipping container; it's a modern multi-parametric scanner. Mobile certainly doesn't automatically equate to "poor". I have an appointment for an MRI scan there (not cancer-related) on Wednesday. 

Chris

Edited by member 01 May 2021 at 14:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 15:33
The MRI scan doesn’t pick up ‘cells’, it detects big lumps of tumour which may or may not be cancerous.

The gold standard would be a multi-parametric MRI scan @ 3 Tesla (HD) resolution with an intravenous tracing agent. You will probably end up with a 1.5 T scanner.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 22:07

Yes to some extent. I have had RT and only just recovered from HT. I would say I am getting back to normal now. About two months ago though I had no problem peeing but I had to actually look to see if I was peeing or if I had finished.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:16
The anticipation is far worse than the actual event, believe me. In terms of discomfort it's roughly on a par with having filling at the dentist. You'll be fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:42

After waiting 6 weeks for my TP biopsy after I had the scan I know how you feel. I had my biopsy today and for me the biopsy was not a problem at all.For me, it was less discomfort than having a tooth filled. In fact having my privates on show to 3 women (the consultant with the needle was a man) was more anxious inducing. I have just posted more information on my original message if you are interested. 

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:59

Hello Steve

Yes, my fuller posting is under Diagnosis, sub-heading Being Diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Or, you can click on my name (OhDear!) and it will take you to my postings

Ivan

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 09:38

Good luck and if your session goes as well as mine did last Friday then it will be like taking a walk in the park. There will be a little discomfort and obviously some blood ( I was dripping blood when I stood up from the chair, so make sure you are not wearing hush puppy shoes like I was). Also had blood in my pee for a day, but no more than that. Addenbrookes checked that I could pee before they would let me go ( I could!) and gave me 2 drinks (and a couple of digestive biscuits) to help me do so.

My session was at 2 pm,  but I had to get to Addenbrookes by 1.30 pm for a urine flow test. My "in the chair" session lasted about an hour.  Hopefully, you will have a young nurse or doctor to chat to you whilst the procedure is taking place to take your mind off of what is going on. I did and that certainly helped me.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 19:13

I was told that it could be 2 weeks so pleased that I had my results in less than a week

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 19:19
Good oh.
User
Posted 11 Jun 2021 at 16:49

Interesting that you have only just got a copy of the urologist's letter from your doctor. A copy of each letter sent to my doctor by the hospital is also sent to me.

Good that your urine is  now clear. You wait until you ejaculate; that will be the colour of tomato ketchup! Apparently, it can stay like that for up to 12 weeks.

Keep us informed of developments

Ivan

User
Posted 14 Jun 2021 at 09:48

Yes, that might be the reason for the pain if they could not anaesthetise all of the area they were taking the samples from. And, from what you say, your samples were taken higher up than mine were.

Good luck with the bone scan and, hopefully, you won't glow in the dark too much afterwards.

The link to my postings is:  https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=posts&m=257468#post257468

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 10:03

Fingers crossed for you, Prof

Perhaps, whilst waiting for the results , quaffing  a few more bottles of wine might help keep your mind off things.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 10:13

Certainly doing that.

Update...3rd ejaculation...10 days after biopsy and, yea, no blood! Is this normal...I was expecting months of

blood.....

Edited by member 20 Jun 2021 at 16:11  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 21 Jun 2021 at 09:45

Morning Prof

I was told that you could have blood in your ejaculations for up to 12 weeks so the fact that you's is now blood free after only 10 days must be good. Worth celebrating perhaps?

User
Posted 21 Jun 2021 at 09:59

Nothing wrong with that. If a little blood returns over the next few weeks don't worry about it. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jul 2021 at 07:36

Good luck with that Prof

Fingers crossed the bone scan shows there is no spread

User
Posted 06 Jul 2021 at 18:24

The waiting for results is hard. As a fellow physicist and probably a bit autistic I feel I must point out that the average equivalent dose per annum is around 2.7 mSv per year. Sorry I can’t help it, don’t have a personal GM device though!! All best wishes going forward. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ionising-radiation-dose-comparisons/ionising-radiation-dose-comparisons

Ido4

User
Posted 07 Jul 2021 at 11:47

Best wishes for your appointment today. 

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:27

The sex, cycling etc. Could lift psa by about 0.5; as you have found, perhaps 0.1 in your case. I don't really know how much prostatitis would raise psa, probably a lot but I just don't know. My psa was 28 at diagnosis. I googled it and found a site which said psa 10=50% chance of cancer psa 30=100% chance of cancer. I can't remember the website, and in reality those figures are not entirely realistic.

If you were in England you should have been referred within 14 days. Wales may have different policies.

Prostate cancer is slow growing, but you have a high chance of having it, I would be pushing to get this investigated very soon. 

Dave

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:28

ProfZarkov,

Sorry, yes this is a very anxious time while you wait for answers, but unfortunately, you do have to wait - we can't preempt them. It could be prostatitis. Your appointment should be within 14 days of referral by GP, but there are delays in some places due to COVID at the moment. This is unlikely to matter in the case of prostate cancer which is usually slow moving. You can ask to be referred to a different hospital if you wish.

In a way, it's good your GP referred you without any extra investigative work - GP's are not generally very expert in prostates, and could have ended up wasting time trying to treat prostatitis (which they are usually unsuccessful in doing anyway). Urology will know much better what they're doing, and get you answers faster.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:35

Thanks for the replies.

Yes worrying times.

They closed urology at Withybush (Haverfordwest, my nearest hospital). Glangwili is in Carmarthen. Appointment is for 15th April. So, should find out more.

What should I expect? Just a dre?

I saw [Doctors name removed by moderator] in Bristol before. His Dre expertise said the prostate felt granulated, signs of a previous infection. That was 15 yrs ago.....had a cystoscopy and prostate massage to collect fluid but no infection found.....

Has anyone had a PSA of 28~ and NOT been diagnosed with cancer?

Edited by moderator 29 Mar 2021 at 11:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 14:11
We have had men with PSA of 60, 80 or even a bit higher than that who were subsequently given the all clear. A very enlarged prostate can cause a heightened PSA, as can prostatitis. All your PSA of 28 indicates is that further assessment is needed.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 15:40

Thank you!

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 15:46
The first urologist I saw said the highest PSA he had known that was not a result of cancer was 400. However he did say that was very unusual

Fingers crossed it’s nothing sinister

Bri

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 15:53
You should of course be prepared for the likelihood that it is prostate cancer, but don't make any assumptions: that's what the diagnosis process is for. The likely progression of events is an MRI scan and, if that shows anything suspicious, a biopsy. Then you'll know where things stand and what, if anything, needs doing.

Try not to get too stressed. The overwhelming majority of cases of prostate cancer are eminently treatable.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 10:31

Hi, brief update...
It took 45 days before I saw a urologist.
And that was over an hour's drive into a different county!
There's a dearth of radiologists and a waiting list of 20,000 well, 20,001 here in Wales.

The consultation and DRE didn't find anything conclusively that pointed to cancer but the prostate just didn't feel right. So a MRI scan has been sought... hopefully within 4 weeks....it's been 2 already .

My wife is urging me to go private....does anyone have any guidance on this and how to go about it, if I do? And anywhere local to me in West Wales?

Thanks

Edited by member 29 Apr 2021 at 10:34  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 14:45

Hi,

We also live in West Wales, David my husband went to Cheltenham for his scans. https://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/

This is a private scan, and it cost around £1000, that was five years ago. The other private hospital locally is 

BMI Werndale Hospital

Private hospital in Bancyfelin, Wales.

Im not sure what facilities they have .

I hope this helps.

Leila 

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 15:26
If your results are inconclusive, wait a week or two or three for your mp-MRI scan on the NHS.

Most prostate cancers are VERY slow growing.

I waited six months following diagnosis until I found the right surgeon to do my prostatectomy, with no ill effect.

Be patient, and save your money. There will be much more waiting to come...

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 17:35

Thanks for that John

Always helps to get some positive feedback.

It's the waiting game that eats into you.

The not knowing.....

2 weeks since I saw the uro...he said up to 4 weeks but I saw on the BBC Wales news last night that they are very short of radiologists...waiting list of 20,000, well 20,001 in fact!

I hope you're all well now.

Cheers

Steve

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 18:19
Waiting is the hardest thing. Most people feel a lot better when know where they stand, because there's then a plan of action. Just have to take things a day at a time until the diagnostic process grinds its way to a conclusion.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 09:40

Hi

Got my MRI scan appointment.

It's at Withybush...they only have a mobile unit there and my urologist said, don't go there. They don't have a hi res scanner.

I've emailed all concerned....will wait n see what they say.

I imagine even a basic scanner will pick up cancer cells?

Steve.  

Ps. Anyone had experience of mobile scanners compared to fixed hospital ones?

Edited by member 01 May 2021 at 13:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 14:11

My local hospital has a mobile MRI scanner (in a shipping container; it's a modern multi-parametric scanner. Mobile certainly doesn't automatically equate to "poor". I have an appointment for an MRI scan there (not cancer-related) on Wednesday. 

Chris

Edited by member 01 May 2021 at 14:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 15:19
Thanks for that. I think Withybush is having a brand new multi million pound scanner this year, hence the mobile one.

We shall see

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 15:33
The MRI scan doesn’t pick up ‘cells’, it detects big lumps of tumour which may or may not be cancerous.

The gold standard would be a multi-parametric MRI scan @ 3 Tesla (HD) resolution with an intravenous tracing agent. You will probably end up with a 1.5 T scanner.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 01 May 2021 at 15:35

Thanks for that. I'm a physicist and love the magnetic field strength .... Teslas!

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 10:31

Hi, waiting for my MRI scan tomorrow. Trying to stay calm.

I have another issue...bit personal but I'm mentioning it to see if any other guys have the same problem...

Lack of feeling. I seem to have lost sensory feeling from prostate, urethra to penis. I can pee ok but have little sensation of passing urine. Worse when it comes to sex. I still get aroused and can climax but have virtually lost all physical sensation of the climax...no pulsing from the prostate onwards. No pulsing feeling along the urethra or penis...I often have to look and see if there's any ejaculate. The climax endorphin rush is still there but not much else. Odd. This could just be another result of prostatitis again or...?

Anyone suffer this?

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 22:07

Yes to some extent. I have had RT and only just recovered from HT. I would say I am getting back to normal now. About two months ago though I had no problem peeing but I had to actually look to see if I was peeing or if I had finished.

Dave

User
Posted 18 May 2021 at 17:01

Thanks for that. But I haven't had any treatment, so these symptoms seem odd. Ejaculate is very minimal too.

The MRI was pretty awful...I'm surprised there isn't more info on here... describing the process, even a video? It is claustrophobic and very noisy. I would say acoustic torture! 20-30 mins of it.

Waiting for my results now.....I'm thinking, hoping it's just another bout of prostatitis.....

User
Posted 18 May 2021 at 18:38
Sounds as if your hospital's MRI department doesn't have very good headphones 😁. When I had my MRI a couple of weeks ago the headphones reduced the noise to a very low level. I could clearly hear the radio music that was played through the headphones.

Chris

User
Posted 18 May 2021 at 18:58

No I just had earplugs....

It was a mobile scanner...so no frills!

Edited by member 18 May 2021 at 19:26  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 18 May 2021 at 20:24
Mine was a mobile scanner, too. Both the MRI and CT scanners are mobile at my local hospital. I was given earplugs, and then headphones to wear on top of those.

I'm rather surprised you didn't have headphones. They use them to talk to you during the scan and give you instructions.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 27 May 2021 at 20:16

Latest news. Results from scan show a "suspicious prostate", so, biopsy organised plus a bone scan....can't do the trans perineum one as theaters are very busy...so up the rectum it goes.... happy days. 

Not sure if it's normal to organise a bone scan as well as  the biopsy...is this usual or, mind working overtime, a worry that they think there's something really wrong. They also said they'd do all this within 10 days...also a worry!

The only other thing that's getting me down is the very poor ejaculate. Hardly anything seen these days and quite a loss of feeling....points more to prostatitis coming back than cancer, i suppose.

Biopsy booked for 10th June 😩

Edited by member 02 Jun 2021 at 15:50  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 13:57

Hi,

Feeling very anxious now all the official letters have arrived....not a lot of info on here about the precise biopsy procedure....looked at a few YouTube videos and can see why guys get extremely anxious...being harpooned! Not getting much sleep!

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:16
The anticipation is far worse than the actual event, believe me. In terms of discomfort it's roughly on a par with having filling at the dentist. You'll be fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:42

After waiting 6 weeks for my TP biopsy after I had the scan I know how you feel. I had my biopsy today and for me the biopsy was not a problem at all.For me, it was less discomfort than having a tooth filled. In fact having my privates on show to 3 women (the consultant with the needle was a man) was more anxious inducing. I have just posted more information on my original message if you are interested. 

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:47

Thank you.

Just got all the he appointment letters today which is good. The urologist who first saw me is doing the op, which is nice.

Can you point me to your original article?

Steve

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 16:59

Hello Steve

Yes, my fuller posting is under Diagnosis, sub-heading Being Diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Or, you can click on my name (OhDear!) and it will take you to my postings

Ivan

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 17:09

I would say less troubling than having a filling, but I really do hate dentists. 

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

In fact having my privates on show to 3 women (the consultant with the needle was a man) was more anxious inducing.

I was laying on my side with one nurse in front of me making small talk about holiday plans. I thought it is very kind if you to try and distract me, but I can't really ignore the fact some one is shoving something up my arse which sounds like an air pistol.

Anyway such is life you'll know where you stand once all the tests are over. 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 17:21

Interesting that you were laying on your side when you had your biopsy taken. I was in a very comfortable reclining chair with my legs up in the air (resting on supports) with everything on show to the man and 3 women. Not that that was a problem, just makes you feel ever so slightly vulnerable. Though, as you have said, no more vulnerable than being open to have things shoved up your posterior!

Edited by member 04 Jun 2021 at 17:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 09:28

Well, today's the day, biopsy day.

I'll call it Bday!

Thinking of Pam Ayres:

"Two little pricks up my bum, then a probe, the size of my thumb. 

Twelve little piercings, all for free.

Start at 2 but out by 3, just as long as I can pee! "

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 09:38

Good luck and if your session goes as well as mine did last Friday then it will be like taking a walk in the park. There will be a little discomfort and obviously some blood ( I was dripping blood when I stood up from the chair, so make sure you are not wearing hush puppy shoes like I was). Also had blood in my pee for a day, but no more than that. Addenbrookes checked that I could pee before they would let me go ( I could!) and gave me 2 drinks (and a couple of digestive biscuits) to help me do so.

My session was at 2 pm,  but I had to get to Addenbrookes by 1.30 pm for a urine flow test. My "in the chair" session lasted about an hour.  Hopefully, you will have a young nurse or doctor to chat to you whilst the procedure is taking place to take your mind off of what is going on. I did and that certainly helped me.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 18:11

Yes, had to wait over two hours as I was the last man....managed to extract more info...why aren't they straight with us...my PIRADS score was 5!

They took 17 cores...so a bit sore and shocked.

I'm in the golden Zone now...lots of eating, drinking...until the results...some 4 weeks away! Happy days..

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 18:19

Glad you got through it ok.

There were 3 people after me waiting for their biopsy so that day for the surgeon would not have finished until gone 6.

I think I had around 15 or so cores taken, but it was not as bad, for me, as I thought it was going to be. Not really sore at all, though obviously felt that something had happened.

I had my results sent to me today (my biopsy was last Friday) and I am presently awaiting the phone call from the surgeon (could be a week or so) to discus them with me. I have detailed my results on my original message and I think they are quite good.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 18:51

Wow, that was fast. They told me 4 weeks.

Brief update....still a bit shocked at the consultant treating us a bit like kids...i.e. saying I had a suspicious prostate. I'd rather be told the facts.. PIRADS 5 etc Still they have to cover themselves I suppose. I still haven't had the full MRI results....

So, overnight... slightly painful prostate...a decent meal, lots of fluids plus some malt whisky (my loving wife who waited 4 hours in the car with dog, managed a shop in M&S), only a trace of blood in urine. Had to get up at midnight to take more paracetamol...more of an annoying ache but couldn't sleep.

Morning pee clear as was first movement! Still a bit sore but improving.

Bone scan in 2 weeks.....

Just got my medical records from my GP . . .finally get to see the urologists letter:

"Suspicious prostate in particular at the apex likely T3b disease"

Let's see what the biopsy shows up . . . 

Edited by member 11 Jun 2021 at 16:33  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 19:13

I was told that it could be 2 weeks so pleased that I had my results in less than a week

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 19:19
Good oh.
User
Posted 11 Jun 2021 at 16:49

Interesting that you have only just got a copy of the urologist's letter from your doctor. A copy of each letter sent to my doctor by the hospital is also sent to me.

Good that your urine is  now clear. You wait until you ejaculate; that will be the colour of tomato ketchup! Apparently, it can stay like that for up to 12 weeks.

Keep us informed of developments

Ivan

User
Posted 11 Jun 2021 at 16:51

Well I'm a once a week man at the best of times.

Painkillers don't work well but beer does

User
Posted 11 Jun 2021 at 17:12

Whatever, you have been warned!!

User
Posted 13 Jun 2021 at 17:15

Well, despite all those people who say the biopsy is a walk in the park ...I felt every one of those 17 harpoons going in.

Three days later, still peeing blood albeit little clots at the start. Prostate still aching, almost painful. Antibiotics giving me the squits....had my first Sherman today (cockney rhyming), yep looks all blood but not crimson. I'll give it a week and report back...

User
Posted 13 Jun 2021 at 17:26

Sorry to hear that your biopsy was not as pleasant as mine was. Did you have a young doctor talking to you whilst it was going on to take your mine off things? I did and think that might have made a difference.

I had  clots of blood in my first pee but, fortunately, nothing since. Though I don't think my flow is as good as it was pre-biopsy. I guess my prostate must still be swollen. Apparently, blood in the semen can be present for up to 12 weeks. And blood in the urine for up to 2 weeks So no need, I think, to contact your doctor at this stage. Though if the pain gets worse or doesn't go away after taking painkillers it might be worthwhile contacting your GP.

Hoping your next message reports that things are now better!

Ivan

User
Posted 14 Jun 2021 at 09:30

Hi,

Still finding it hard to see your original posts...clicking on your name doesn't show your posts....maybe I'll swap to my laptop!

Occasional clots in urine, lots of dark blood in semen. Still quite an ache...well, 17 perforations...what would you expect. The report did say the cancer was at the apex and with a likely T3b...spread into the seminal vesicles. So maybe samples were taken around there. The surgeon did say they couldn't fully anaesthetise all the area ...hence a few painful harpoons!

Off the cipro now..which gave me Slitheen like wind and loose bowel.

Next is a scheduled bone scan.... Technetium? Where's my Geiger counter?

User
Posted 14 Jun 2021 at 09:48

Yes, that might be the reason for the pain if they could not anaesthetise all of the area they were taking the samples from. And, from what you say, your samples were taken higher up than mine were.

Good luck with the bone scan and, hopefully, you won't glow in the dark too much afterwards.

The link to my postings is:  https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=posts&m=257468#post257468

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 07:49

Well, it's now into week 2, apres biopski!

There seems to be only slight, having to peer into the bowl, bits of blood when peeing, so that's good.

Still blood in semen but it'll go.

Prostate still aches but then it did before the biopsy.

I'm back to the sword of Damocles...not over my head but poised somewhere much lower!

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 09:03

Well, Prof, seems things are moving into more positive territory, so that is good.

Have you had the results of the biopsy yet?

Ivan

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 09:27

No, they said 4 weeks and gave me a number to ring if that stretched to 5 weeks.

Looking at my notes it seemed I was a priority "customer". I saw P2 somewhere.

So maybe I'll get the results sooner...best case...they were wrong and there's only minor cancer... downgrade to T2 ...worst case, cancer spread way beyond prostate and seminal vesicles...T4.... prepared for either....

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 10:03

Fingers crossed for you, Prof

Perhaps, whilst waiting for the results , quaffing  a few more bottles of wine might help keep your mind off things.