Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Possible biochemical recurrence.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 17:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Piers, nothing like that during my salvage RT, I didn't have HT. Could it be your anti anxiety meds.

Thanks Chris 

I've only been taking them immediately prior to EBRT sessions. But I suppose it could be linked.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2022 at 17:28

I was on Sertraline for anxiety when I was first diagnosed. Played havoc with my memory!

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 17 Dec 2022 at 17:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 15:53

Thanks Chris,

Moderator(s), can you please split this conversation?

Thanks,

Peter 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 13:45

Hi Peter,

As requested we have split your post.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28848-New-to-this-site--anyone-has-an-idea-of-what-is-going-on-here

Best wishes,

Carol
Digital Manager
Prostate Cancer UK

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 10:47

This really isn't going terribly well.

Yesterday I was booked in for an afternoon slot, but one of the radiographers called me at midday to ask where I was. I said that my appointment wasn't till the afternoon, but they said it had been moved, because I was the only patient left for the day.

It turns out that I, their secretary and the radiographers all had a different time for my appointment!

I went to some lengths to move my day around and got there within an hour, only to be met with one particular radiographer who was clearly fuming because they had been unable to leave early. 

Because I had been called in at short notice I was not sufficiently hydrated and was on the table for half an hour or so. They did the treatment, but my bladder was not full. Which causes me concern. I am not sure if it is connected, but I have bad diarrhoea today

As I left the building, the radiographer was speeding out of the car park.

I rather wish I hadn't agreed to help them out by attending early!

I have to say that I don't feel particularly safe at present. Does anyone know whether a single incidence of insufficient bladder volume is likely to cause issues?

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 10:54
Put your concerns in writing to the hospital.. I doubt anyone on here is technical enough to answer that.

On a positive note though none of the fractions on their own should be sufficient to do permanent damage (I believe)

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 12:40

I have to say that I don't feel particularly safe at present. Does anyone know whether a single incidence of insufficient bladder volume is likely to cause issues?

If the bladder wasn't full enough to have the treatment safely, they would not have gone ahead with it.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 17:18

Piers , on several occasions my bladder was completely empty because I had left my catheter drain tap open, I never had any of my 33 sessions stopped for any reason. My treatment was over five years ago and I don't know to what level I was scanned or what they can actually see. I was diagnosed with radiation cystitis and my bladder has been damaged, but the numerous excursions into the urethra frequent urethra catheters and a suprapubic catheter may have made matters worse .I also had issues with surgical clips. 

I found out after treatment that 5-10 percent of people who have pelvic radiation treatment suffer with radiation cystitis, usually it calms down. Your bladder may had sufficient for the scan to go ahead anyway. I would hope medical staff are professional enough not to cut corners and take risks.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 18:35

I found out after treatment that 5-10 percent of people who have pelvic radiation treatment suffer with radiation cystitis, usually it calms down. Your bladder may had sufficient for the scan to go ahead anyway. I would hope medical staff are professional enough not to cut corners and take risks.

Thanks Chris

I would hope so too. But there have been some instances of professionalism absence and it plays to my wariness about medics.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 13:39

OK, so I am now 21/33 fractions, so nearly 2/3 finished.

I have a sore rectum and loose stools. However I MIGHT have a gastric infection, because I have had stomach cramps which are too "high up" to be EBRT damage. Feeling a little tired sometimes, but no urinary problems...YET.

I have just had my PSA done. My last pre-EBRT three months ago was 0.41, todays is 0.42.

So rate of increase has slowed to almost nothing, but no decrease yet. Is that what I would expect to see? Obviously I was hoping to see a magical fall to undetectable!

User
Posted 22 Dec 2022 at 13:53

Piers, I had my PSA tested 4 weeks after my SABR treatment, it was far to early but the good news was the steady increase had stopped and my PSA was the same as 8 weeks earlier.

I suspect your test is also far to early. My understanding is that the test 18 months after SRT is the important one. You may also get a bounce. My onco would accuse us of trying to micro manage the situation, we have to look at the long term picture.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2023 at 14:52

I finished EBRT 2 weeks ago today.

They said that my side effects would worsen for two weeks after treatment (so peaking now).

In reality I think I have got off quite lightly. I have had few bowel problems, except when I have eaten too big a meal or one that involved Brussels sprouts. I have however had, since the treatment started, hemorrhoids. These I can treat with Anusol, but they are a bit uncomfortable.

I am led to believe that the side effects will wear off over the coming weeks.

Mentally I am not up to par. The first week after treatment ended I felt like I'd been released from prison - party time! Now, however, I feel lethargic and I am not motivated to do things. I am procrastinating a great deal. I am hoping that this too will wear off.

When I finished the course, one of the radiographers said I could feel depressed after two weeks. They explained it was because sides would be at their worst and I would not be going there for support. To be honest, it doesn't feel that way, I just feel flat. I am actually very pleased that I don't have to go there anymore!

In conclusion, I found EBRT quite a challenge both physically and mentally. I'd never have thought that just having a full bladder and laying on a machine for fifteen minutes could turn into such a psychological challenge.

I hope I don't regret my decision to not have ADT, but on the other hand I would not have wanted that to contend with as well.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2023 at 15:35
Looking forward to hearing your PSA scores over the next 20+ years!
User
Posted 23 Jan 2023 at 15:47

Looking forward to hearing your PSA scores over the next 20+ years!

I am told that it should fall to <0.1 within 6-9 months. If it doesn't, or it rises, they didn't fix it.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2023 at 17:05
The low after finishing cancer treatment is well documented - Macmillan even do an information leaflet about it. It is something about treatment finishing but not knowing whether or not it has worked, along with adrenalin (busy busy busy during diagnosis, deciding on treatment, preparing for treatment and then having treatment ... followed by a great big nothing) and a bit of grief thrown in.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2023 at 23:10

Yes, there's something a little odd about the recovery period post RT. My take on it was that while I was well aware that I'd just gone through a serious cell damaging experience, I should be able to get out there, exercise and the recovery would be like an "ordinary" injury. Unfortunately it's not something you can really come to grips with and while you will recover, it will probably take slightly longer than you'd think and the curious lethargy is frustrating. You expect to recover instantly and it doesn't happen.

Jules

User
Posted 24 Jan 2023 at 08:00

Yes, there's something a little odd about the recovery period post RT. My take on it was that while I was well aware that I'd just gone through a serious cell damaging experience, I should be able to get out there, exercise and the recovery would be like an "ordinary" injury. Unfortunately it's not something you can really come to grips with and while you will recover, it will probably take slightly longer than you'd think and the curious lethargy is frustrating. You expect to recover instantly and it doesn't happen.

Jules

Thanks Jules

It's weird. I am ostensibly fine and I am able to exercise properly again, but mentally I cannot be bothered with things that I really need to be bothered about! For example, dealing with difficult situations in my business. I am finding myself re-diarising tricky jobs until "tomorrow", instead of dealing with them.

I think there is possibly the factor of me deferring everything whilst I was having EBRT, because I needed to focus on getting through it. Now it's over, I am having to address everything I delayed, whilst simultaneously dealing with a recovery that is psychologically more difficult than I expected.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 09:43

Approaching 4 weeks post EBRT and sides are starting to resolve. For good and bad!

I had a sore bum from the treatment, and that is starting to improve.

But a weird thing: The treatment appeared to IMPROVE a long standing gut problem I had. For a good few years, my gut has been unhappy with carbs and I have had to eat like a pigeon to remain even vaguely slim. I had quite a lot of gas.

During EBRT this changed and I was able to tolerate carbs better, whilst slowly losing weight and eating quite a lot more than usual.

My two only guesses about what was going on are that either EBRT adjusted something in my gut microbiome, or the presence of cancerous cells was causing my gut to rebel.

Unfortunately, this week, my gut has started to return to how it used to be and I have also put on a kilo. A bit early to say that what changed has changed back, but I was quite enjoying my new found gut health and ability to eat a broad diet.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 20:56

I can't really offer any explanation for the change in gut behaviour but if things are returning to "normal" then it must be good news that there is hopefully no permanent damage to your gut. I'm now over 12 weeks post RT and gut mucus is still causing issues from time to time or as someone very aptly posted - never trust a fart again.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 21:39

Hey Piers

I am interested about your reactions to work 

it appears from what you said that this is important to you 

has your work drive returned yet 

I ask this because I love my work and hope. My up coming treatment doesn’t change that 

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 07:56

I can't really offer any explanation for the change in gut behaviour but if things are returning to "normal" then it must be good news that there is hopefully no permanent damage to your gut. I'm now over 12 weeks post RT and gut mucus is still causing issues from time to time or as someone very aptly posted - never trust a fart again.

The onco, from the get go, said my gut would not be the problem, my rectum would. So presumably my anatomy is such that it was not in the line of fire. This was what allowed a lower bladder volume. He was right, though, it was mostly my anus that suffered.

It would not be true to say that I had no problems higher up. I had the very occasional problems with pain in my lower left abdomen, followed by several bowel movements in short order, followed by one loose bowel movement and that was the end of it. This happened again, once, earlier this week.

It seems to be eating a big meal that triggers it and the symptoms are consistent with diverticular disease. It is likely that I do have that, because a previous PSMA PET scan identified it. Why EBRT would bring out symptoms I do not know.

In your case, I hope that time is a healer.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 08:41

Hey Piers

I am interested about your reactions to work 

it appears from what you said that this is important to you 

has your work drive returned yet 

I ask this because I love my work and hope. My up coming treatment doesn’t change that 

Morning Nigel.

Interesting question.

With the knowledge that I would require recovery time, I told everyone I deal with that I would be dealing only with essential business until a certain date. I didn't say why, I just said "if it's not urgent, don't call me" so that I had some space.

Two weeks after EBRT ended, I felt mentally fragile. My physical side effects, at their worst, were trivial. I just felt a bit vulnerable and introspective.  At work, I was unable to face tough decisions and deal with crappy stuff. Any letter I didn't like the look of was put back in the in tray and I diarised time to deal with it at a later date. I found myself dealing only with the easy stuff and things I wanted to do.

During that period, I had a weird sensation that I should have been doing more, like everything had to be dealt with "immediately" and I felt a bit panicked that it wasn't being. There was no good reason for this, I rarely deal with all outstanding matters immediately, it was some sort of mental aberration.

I kept my exercise regime going, but at a maintenance level. I just tried to stay moving, lift a few light weights, stay in touch with my aerobic fitness and, well, keep going. I went to bed at 9pm (instead of 10).

I have started to find work a little easier and have approached the backlog like I'd eat an elephant - one bite at a time! As I type, my inbox is full of papers, but relating to only one matter. So, I am getting there!

My physical fitness is starting to return and so has my drive to do work, but I don't feel back "on it" yet.

One thing I have done, though, is take a conscious decision to put myself first and commit to wellbeing time. So week one after EBRT I went for a hair cut, the following week I went for a facial, last week I went for a Thai massage, all of these during the working day.

My mindset currently is that my recovery and good health going forward are of paramount importance. If at all possible, I want to continue with my attitude of "it's only work, it comes second to ME" which I have cultivated during the EBRT process.

I underestimated how challenging a process EBRT would be, and also the magnitude of the after effects. This has been, in part, due to some of the information on the Internet from people like Cancer Research. Some of it made EBRT sound almost like fun, with few negatives. That was not my experience. Perhaps it is deliberate, so that men are not put off having treatment.

To summarise, the first two weeks after EBRT saw me treading water in my business. I have gradually become more effective, but four weeks later I am not entirely "back". I have developed a "me first" attitude to my work life, which I hope to maintain going forwards.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 20:54

My sympathies Piers, as someone who had salvage RT last summer so a few weeks ahead of Chris Bromsgrove.

I thought I was handling RT well for the first couple of weeks, no problem really though I was ready for bed a bit earlier than usual. I cycled to most of my sessions. But then it caught up with me, while there were no obvious signs of what the X-rays are doing I found myself without energy and run down. It was a good thing I am retired.

Improvement has been slow, but my wife has encouraged me. After about six weeks we went on holiday and did a fair amount of walking, nothing heroic but proving to myself I could still do things. While I admit my own self-motivation is on the low side, we have tried to keep active when the weather permits, and went skiing (fairly gently) last week.

The sensitivity in the rectum is slowly reducing, but I still sometimes experience "tummy cramps" which need rapid access to a toilet not knowing whether the issue is wind or poo. Happily those are now less frequent. The bladder was also affected somewhat (having had previous surgery, my sphincters aren't of the best anyway) and I am more sensitive to caffeine than I have been since the aftermath of surgery - but with the security of a pad I did manage the odd coffee stop while skiing.

I think some of the problem has been HT, low testosterone does reduce the "get up and go". I am taking encouragement from reports on this forum that recovery will happen but take roughly as long as being on HT - on that basis I am hoping things will keep improving until May/June. We are pencilling in some more ambitious activities after that.

Good luck!

Edited by member 04 Feb 2023 at 20:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Feb 2023 at 07:54

I think some of the problem has been HT, low testosterone does reduce the "get up and go". I am taking encouragement from reports on this forum that recovery will happen but take roughly as long as being on HT - on that basis I am hoping things will keep improving until May/June. We are pencilling in some more ambitious activities after that.

Good luck!

I imagine HT on top of EBRT would be quite hard. It's one of the reasons I opted out of it. That and the relatively small predicted benefit of me having it.

It sounds like you're heading in the right direction, though.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 15:34

Something of an update here.

I have still been feeling quite low since the radiotherapy, both mentally and physically flat. However yesterday for the first time I started to feel a bit more upbeat. That's almost exactly two months after the treatment ended.

The hemorrhoids, which were the main side effect, have gone. However, I have symptoms consistent with diverticulitis - a feeling of pressure or mild pain in my abdomen lower left. It eases with a bowel movement. At present it is not too troublesome and I would rather have that than the problems that others experience. I never had this prior to radiotherapy and remember the day it started, in the first week of treatment.

I had my first PSA today since cessation of treatment and it has dropped 35% from 0.42 to 0.27.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 21:09
Good news...
User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 14:36

Well I assume so! It isn't increasing at least. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 19:26

I've had my first consultation with the onco post-RT. He is happy with my PSA and says that he thinks it will drop to <0.1 which is where is needs to be.

I suddenly started feeling more energised about 3 weeks ago. Not back to normal, but better.

The only side-effect I still have is the discomfort in my left-lower abdomen. The onco says it's unlikely to be diverticular problems. Dr Google disagrees. Given that one of my PSMA PET scans identified diverticulae I am inclined to side with Doc Google.

One annoying problem that I do have dates back to my RP. My bladder volume is reduced and if I hold on for long periods I get quite an unpleasant pain in my lower abdomen. I am GUESSING it's because my bladder is not as elastic as it once was. Does anyone else have this after surgery?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 20:52
I wouldn't be quite so confident in Dr Google on this one. Apparently diverticulae are found in most people as they got older - if you use a technique that allows them to be identified - but only a small minority have diverticular disease.

As someone also in the recovery phase from salvage RT, one thing I have experienced is occasional cramps from wind. I don't know whether that is because of residual inflammation making things more sensitive than they used to be, or damage to the receptors and nerves that normally seemed to be able to identify gas in the colon and move it around.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 21:44

Piers, I have probably already told you this before, my bladder capacity did shrink after surgery, looking at some urine diaries my capacity was down to 250 mls before SRT. It is important to add that I had a dozen excursions into my bladder and I was also doing intermittent self catheterization/dilatation, this may have caused my issues. 

It may worth speaking to your urologist to flag up your concerns and see if there are any suitable treatments to the bladder.

As I have previously mentioned on this forum numerous times if you start passing lots of blood,clots and debris,get some help. My level of bladder damage is quite rare but that is probably why it wasn't recognised sooner.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 07:37

Piers, I have probably already told you this before, my bladder capacity did shrink after surgery, looking at some urine diaries my capacity was down to 250 mls before SRT. It is important to add that I had a dozen excursions into my bladder and I was also doing intermittent self catheterization/dilatation, this may have caused my issues. 

It may worth speaking to your urologist to flag up your concerns and see if there are any suitable treatments to the bladder.

As I have previously mentioned on this forum numerous times if you start passing lots of blood,clots and debris,get some help. My level of bladder damage is quite rare but that is probably why it wasn't recognised sooner.

Thanks Chris 

Yes you mentioned it Chris and I am sorry you have issues.

I have tried some meds but they didn't seem to help. Not that the bladder cramps (if that is what they are) are frequent, but yesterday I had to go into a pub to use their toilet because I was in pain. I don't like doing things such as that because it makes me feel old!

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 17:01

So the fun and games continue.

I have been experiencing back pain at night, so had a pelvis and lower back MRI. The GP has called this afternoon sounding quite concerned.

The MRI says (amongst wear and tear type stuff) "Diffuse hyperintensity of the bone compartments sparing part of the L5 and the sacral bones are suspicious for diffuse metastatic infiltration of the spine".

Now, my PSA has fallen from 0.42 to 0.27

My last PSMA PET scan showed no sign of bone mets.

Is this likely to be something unconnected to PCa?

User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 09:46
Not the sort of message you want from your GP. Lots of guys on here has false alerts from MRI though so fingers crossed that is what this is.
User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 11:12

Since I posted this, the onco has called me. After work on Friday, which was good of him.

He said "I don't know what the scan shows, but it is not PCa. It is unheard of for PSA to be falling, with the numbers you have, and for there to be visible bone mets".

He also said the pain I am getting is not consistent with cancer, because it is intermittent and only at night.

I must say, this roller coaster ride is becoming a bit wearing. After my last PSA and consultation I was planning what to do with the rest of a life that probably was not going to be shortened by prostate cancer. I had sold of a lot of my business, because I didn't want to have to do it when I became ill. I was making plans for what to do next.

Then... "BANG! you've got bone mets in your spine". Then an hour later "Oh no you haven't".

I think I have coped well throughout it all so far. I hope I don't suddenly have some sort of crisis later.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2023 at 11:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 15:25

Piers this really is a roller coaster ride for you! The good news is you got the next phone call to say about it not being bone mets…hopefully they can find out what it is for you though and get you sorted and feeling better.

We had similar in the early days of diagnosis. Rob was told of bone mets and lymph nodes, second opinion disagreed (not with node) PSMA pet scan confirmed second opinion….so he had the op. Emotions were all over the place though.

Now his psa is rising slightly and I’m thinking was the pet scan wrong 🤦🏻‍♀️ seems never ending.

A day, a test and a scan at a time. Keep going and being positive, you’re doing great 👍 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 03:23
Piers, is the oncologist going to look at your MRI scans just to confirm? I know that the pain is not consistent with mets and that it is very likely to be some benign cause but, despite the onco's confidence that it is unheard of, it is possible (very rare but possible nonetheless) for PSA to fall as the cancer spreads.

My father-in-law's PSA fell from 16 to 2.4 to 1.2 (without treatment) so no one realised it had spread to his kidneys and liver.

User
Posted 31 May 2023 at 07:20

In response to my worsening back pain and an MRI showing "suspicious" stuff in my sacrum, my GP has requested a full body PET scan, but the onco wants another PSMA PET scan.

This suggests that either a PSMA PET scan will find cancers other than PCa or his MDT is not entirely confident that I don't have PCa.I have asked the onco, via his secretary, but the response was simply "that is what the MDT recommends".

The pain I am experiencing is mainly at night and it fits with sacroiliac pain. I have had problems in this area before, but never this bad or for so long. If it isn't something cancerous, is it possible that the radiotherapy has caused damage?

User
Posted 31 May 2023 at 07:50

Piers, I am off to see a physiotherapist this morning for an assessment on my knee. I already have osteoarthritis of the hip and probably in the hands.

I am reasonably mobile but the joints do ache. The knee pain gets far worse when in bed and night , apparently there is a link between night pain and hormones.

My last PSMA pet scan a few weeks ago included the knees but nothing was detected,we know that doesn't mean there is nothing there. It did detect another pelvic lymph node tumor which is going to have SABR treatment.

Hope you get a solution soon.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 May 2023 at 08:05
A PSMA PET scan can also be a full body PET if that's what is asked for so you can have both on the same machine.
User
Posted 31 May 2023 at 08:23

A PSMA PET scan can also be a full body PET if that's what is asked for so you can have both on the same machine.

It may be that's what I get.

If I am honest, I am not entirely comfortable with the comms from the onco. He is very much of the "I know best" school of medicine and is reluctant to communicate outside of consultations. If I ask him a question in a consultation he is rather "ugh, you won't understand the answer. But in simple terms..."

When I was dealing with the surgeon, he was superb. I had his mobile number and email address. I never abused them, but if I had an occasional question I asked it. He responded in minutes usually, with a straightforward and practical answer.

User
Posted 31 May 2023 at 08:53

Piers, similar experience with surgeon and Onco. I asked the onco if the PSMA could include the knees,he said that was down to the radiologist. At the scan appointment the radiologist asked if I had any pains,when I replied in the knees he said ,okay we will include them, just to add my insurance company were picking up the bill for the scan.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 May 2023 at 09:20

Piers, similar experience with surgeon and Onco. I asked the onco if the PSMA could include the knees,he said that was down to the radiologist. At the scan appointment the radiologist asked if I had any pains,when I replied in the knees he said ,okay we will include them, just to add my insurance company were picking up the bill for the scan.

Thanks Chris 

I think I know the radiographer at the place I am going (such is the joy of an extended period in the cancer care system!) and he is a decent chap. I will see if I can agree beforehand what we are doing and why.

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 14:21

Further update:

A further PSMA PET scan found no spinal cancer. It found some other random stuff, as each previous scan has. I am sure that, if I have enough of them, one will eventually tell me I have female genitalia.

I have seen the onco again and very much hope it is the last time, for the obvious reason but also because he is the most obnoxious medic I have ever met - against some stiff competition! He told me that my GP doesn't know what he is doing and he said that my diagnosis and treatment are none of my concern. This, whilst not having read properly my notes and contradicting his own MDT!

My PSA has dropped from 0.27 to 0.18. I have left it with the onco that I won't contact him unless it doesn't drop below 0.1 or rises again later.

An aside, if anyone can give me any pointers please:

I have quite good erectile function, given that I have had a RP. If I use a band, my erections are as good as pre-surgery. However, because I am never QUITE happy I have started looking into solutions that don't require props or drugs.

I had a consultation with a surgeon this morning and he said that the surgery they used to use, splitting the main vein in the penis, is no longer recommended. Apparently it only lasts a couple of years before other veins grow to replace it (which is bad apparently). He has suggested shockwave therapy.

Does anyone have any information about the effectiveness of shockwave therapy or any other procedure that might allow me to have a more "natural" experience? Googling it seems to give some info, mainly practitioners, but any personal experience would be helpful.

Many thanks.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 11:38

By way of an update.

My PSA is still not <0.1 but is falling.

Pre-EBRT my erectile function without "assistance" was eventually sometimes  around 80% of pre-RP. Immediately post-salvage EBRT there was no change. In the last month or so, however, there has been a bit of a drop off. I am 7-8 months post-EBRT and unassisted I struggle for 60-70%. I am into Viagra / band territory.

The EBRT team said that what I had two weeks after the course is what I would have long-term. However, I have read elsewhere that there can be a decline up to two years afterwards. Can anyone advise on this please?

In other news, I am trying shockwave therapy. This is supposed to promote blood flow, by encouraging the body to grow new blood vessels. I am half way through the course, but it can take several months before the full effect is evident. The physio says that I should go from 15/25 to 20 or 21/25, where 25 is a perfect erection. I will update things go along, in case it is of interest to anyone.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 14:01

The EBRT team said that what I had two weeks after the course is what I would have long-term

I've not heard of that before Piers. My ED at that point post SRT had gone backwards a bit but I think that was more to do with depleted libido due to the Bicalutimide. Now 9 months post SRT ED is as good as its been, probably even slightly better. But my understanding is that that erectile function can be affected after over a year are more from RT.

Incontinence is slightly worse that it was pre SRT.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 20:27

The EBRT team said that what I had two weeks after the course is what I would have long-term.

I've never heard this.

You want to be doing the maximum to exercise the penis. Try to get on the penile rehab dose of Tadalafil, which is 2 x 20mg/week. Hopefully that should enable you to get good erections on those two days and quite likely the following two or more days too Make sure you do get regular erections. It doesn't sound like you need a pump at the moment, and if you can get good erections (with Tadalafil if necessary), that's better than a pump. The Tadalafil also improves blood flow in the area when you don't have an erection, and the 2 x 20mg/week dose will give continuous dosing. (The 5mg daily low dose will also give continuous dosing, but you won't get the extra couple of boosts which may help to achieve better quality erections, although you might find you can do just as well with the 5mg daily low dose if offered that instead, and you can always save up a few day's worth to get a higher boost.)

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 17:06

Hello everyone, I hope all is well.

Can anyone pass comment on my latest PSA readings please?

My PSA dropped a lot last time and is now back up significantly.

Radical Prostatectomy 13 November 2019 

21 Jan 2020 = 0.04 

20 April 2020 = 0.04 

24 July 2020 = 0.04 

10 November 2020 = 0.08 

15 December 2020 = 0.05 

16 March.2021 = 0.08 

15 June 2021 = 0.14 

22 June 2021 = 0.13 

15 September 2021 = 0.17 

10 December 2021 = 0.28 

17 March 2022 = 0.27 

9 June 2022 = 0.31 

06 September 2022 - 0.41 

22 December 2022 – 0.42 

Finished Salvage radiotherapy mid January 2023

11 March 2023 – 0.27 

2 June 2023 – 0.18 

13 September 2023 - 0.13 

14 December 2023 <0.03 

13 March 2024 0.11 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 19:57

Piers, it's frustrating.

If you look at my profile there is a list of my treatment and values. I never get a definite answer to why PSA results fluctuate.

I now just accept results for what there are. We have a plan if the next result is a rise. Fortunately still managing to dodge long term HT. I didn't have HT with SRT, did you?.

Fortunately things have progressed with scans and treatments for some of us. 

Hopefully it might just be a blip. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 20:19

Piers, it's frustrating.

If you look at my profile there is a list of my treatment and values. I never get a definite answer to why PSA results fluctuate.

I now just accept results for what there are. We have a plan if the next result is a rise. Fortunately still managing to dodge long term HT. I didn't have HT with SRT, did you?.

Fortunately things have progressed with scans and treatments for some of us. 

Hopefully it might just be a blip. 

Thanks Chris 

Hi Chris

No, no HT with the radio.

What I am trying to get my head around is the big drop of 0.1 and then a big rise of 0.08.

I was expecting a gradual fall and when I went from 0.13 to <0.03 I asked to speak to a doctor, because it was such a drop.

If I take out the penultimate reading from the data it looks something like what I would expect.

Edited by member 13 Mar 2024 at 20:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 21:57

Piers, I take it all your tests are at the same lab. I had my bloods taken at , hospital,a regional health centre and occasionally at my doctor's, all three locations use the same hospital lab. I do now have all my bloods taken at the area health centre at roughly the same time of day.

Thanks Chris