Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Early chemotherapy or not?

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 11:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Covid is confusing things. For years, chemo has only been used in the end stages as chemo does not kill prostate cancer. About 5 years ago, a large scale trial showed that early chemo can make the HT more effective for longer so it was introduced for men with advanced PCa. More trials showed that enzalutimide is even more effective but NICE refused to approve it for early use due to cost.
Then covid came along and everything changed again - men on chemo are much more vulnerable to infection and it was thought to be too risky to give chemo in a pandemic so NICE changed their guidance temporarily to allow men with advanced PCa to have enzalutimide or apalutimide instead. This is likely to be a temporary concession so I would push for enza or apa now if you can get it, and chemo now if enza isn't available to you.

Lyn - I wondered if you could share your opinion as to whether you’d recommend early chemotherapy or Enzalutamide or Apalutamide as a first line treatment for advanced prostate cancer?  When you said above “ This is likely to be a temporary concession so I would push for enza or apa now if you can get it, and chemo now if enza isn't available to you. ”

Appreciate any views from others here too. 

Thanks in advance. 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 11:21

Update - finally seen the orthopedic surgeon and he says my leg is strong enough for rowing and forest school for the time being! The urologist and oncologist were obviously being over cautious! Over the 6 weeks of being careful I have gained about 3kg and lost so much fitness.  Did a 30 min row and it was horrible! I wonder how much effect the HT is also having.  I've got a lot of work to do!

Other stuff - bone scan this coming week. Hope to hear from Royal Marsden on their second opinion after their meeting on Thursday. Have to make my mind up on treatment before the next oncologist meeting on the 6th May. Still not sure what way to go. Hating the hot flushes from HT and worry about further HT treatment, but also worried about the toxicity and side effects of chemo! Got some thinking to do!

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 13:27

It’s good to hear you’re not needing hip surgery and you can continue to do what you love with the kids in the great outdoors. I need to also get back into shape to counter the cumulative effects of HT and immediate potential effects of  chemotherapy (should I go that route). 

Like you John I’m not sure what to do exactly  and waiting for second opinions before deciding. It’s not straight forward is it and the window for first line chemo treatment is closing rapidly. I need to take a decision in the next week to ten days. I can hopefully handle the toxicity if it gives me more quality time.

I had another CT scan on Sunday so it’ll be interesting to see if the mets have been affected by the HT.

Hope your bone scan results come back completely clear and you’re told it’s all been a big mistake :)

User
Posted 05 May 2022 at 10:03

Good morning, hope this finds everyone well.

@ForestJohn - have you decided what treatment pathway you're going to adopt?

I received a second opinion this week which confirmed the original recommendation to continue with Prostap HT injections and immediately start 6 three week cycles of Docataxel Chemotherapy (start Monday morning). After that I’ll have radiotherapy to the prostate. We’re holding Enzalutamide, Apalutamide or Abiraterone for further down the track. 

I was at the hospital early this morning for blood tests and also for my 3rd PSA. Results back tomorrow, gulp. 

How are you holding up generally?

All the best!

User
Posted 05 May 2022 at 11:57

Hi Matthew

I have to try and make my mind up at tomorrow's oncologist meeting. My second opinion is being discussed today at the Royal Marsden - I'm hoping they can send something over this afternoon!!! Fingers crossed.

My head is a little different to yours at the moment, but I may be swayed tomorrow. I dread the side effects and possible ongoing disability from the chemo and don't much like the hot flushes I get every 30 to 40 minutes.  I'm pain free and living almost a normal life at the moment ( although much more tired). The idea of injuring myself with chemo at the moment seems illogical.

I'm possibly going to ask for a surgical castration, so I can dump the prostap, and go for the apalutamide. The oncologist also wants to do some single dose radio therapy on my worst Mets (femur and L1 spine) on Monday.

That's my thoughts at the moment, who knows where I'll be by tomorrow night!

User
Posted 05 May 2022 at 12:01
Sounds like a plan ! I had 3 palliative RT blasts to spine and ribs which must have kicked them proverbially. I too have just settled on HT Decapeptyl for now as it’s doing the job well. Don’t want to rock the boat whilst QOL is essentially good. And it leaves the others for later. I guess in my eyes if I’m incurable then I may as well be as well as I can ( like you are now ) rather than risk making things worse. Good luck 🤞
User
Posted 06 May 2022 at 06:56

Chris - having read up on your incredible journey when I first joined this forum and reading your many constructive comments since, I marvel at your brave decision making. Your focus on QOL has been a success story in many ways. 

John - your principles and focus on QOL are equally impressive. Did you get your second opinion ahead of your Oncology appointment today? Radiating your two prominent mets on Monday shows your clinical teams is doing all it can. Pretty cool. Surgical castration is still a good alternative for sure, perhaps you might share the fors/againsts from your perspective. Also, if its okay to ask, what do you mean about possible longer term issues from chemo? My understanding is the side affects from early chemo are ordinarily limited to the period of treatment ie little probability of longer term side affects. Yes it’s a horrid toxic mix but if it’s a proven first line treatment that potentially can extend lifespan without threatening QOL in the medium term, I figure it’ll be worthwhile especially as I’m pretty young and fit. 

Even now I’m in two or three minds. I’d be very interested in hearing your second opinion. Good luck today…big decisions loom :)

All the best chaps!

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 10:52

Hi Forrestjohn my husband  is  also  very  similiar diagnosis  as yourself. URINARY symptoms for 4  months. Went to gp end Feb and PSA 48.What  a shock. HAD A urology review last week  and  has  been advised   of  referral  to Oncology  for  radical  treatment  as Urologist   mentioned Oligometateses because  husband's  bone  scan  revealed  spot on  left pubic  bone only. HOWEVER his MRI  revealed seminal vesicles   involvement and 3  pelvic nodes  enlarged  from 5 to 10mm. We had  hoped  a  locally  advanced diagnosis  but  thst  Is  now  not  the  case. Husband  had  Ct  And prostste  biopsies  on 29th. APRIL and awaiting  results. So  he has  been started  on Bicalitamide  and Depixotpyl  injections. SPELLING  not accurate sorry. It  is all  very  overwhelming regards  the  best  treatment  route.However  your  posts  and information  have  been  very  helpful  and  also  that  of LynnEyre and Matthew. Just WANT best for  my  hubby.

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 21:34

Dear Ann - I’m very sorry your husband and you find yourself here. It’s an uncertain journey but rest assured there’s good reason to be positive despite the traumatic diagnosis. It must have been an awful shock to be told he’s moved to stage 4. Many of us here and our loved ones understand your worry and heartbreak.

As you learn more, accept expert clinical care and support each other you will both grow in resolve and hope. It’ll sometimes seem an impossibility especially in the early days but you will find your new normal. My family and I are getting there slowly but surely. 

When your oncologist has the biopsy histology and scan results etc, you’ll be able to take treatment decisions. The waiting is horrendous I know.

As you’ll have read in this and other conversations, there are a few viable treatment routes. We live in scientifically enlightened times where novel innovations are constantly being introduced and proven treatments are available. Of course, each situation is unique and whilst we can share our thinking from personal experience - remember we’re not clinicians - the most important source of knowledge will come from your care team. 

There are many wonderful people in this forum who’ll support you! 

Take care, 

Matthew

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 22:12

Hi Matthew...thank  you  for  your  prompt  reply. I  have  read  your  story  and  it  appears  quite  similiar  to  my  husband's. I really  appreciate  your  kind  words  and  know  that  we  will  get  the  strength  to  continue  this  journey. Its just  so  new  and  stressful  for  us  all. Likewise I  wish  you  the  very  best  outcome with  your  own  treatments  and  will  follow  your future  threads on  the  forum. Many  thanks 

Regards Ann

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 12:59

Hope this finds you well.

Update from me day 2 post Docataxel  chemotherapy cycle 1 of 6. 

No discernible side effects other than day 1 I felt a mild Ready Brek glow sensation a bit like a raised internal nuclear reactor and slightly increased breathlessness. They went overnight and today I caught up with some work, walked a brisk 3 miles and 30 minutes in our gym. Preparing for work related video conferences this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised given I was warned to expect a handful of side effects but  especially fatigue and sickness/nausea. I realise it’s early days yet and this treatment can be cumulative in nature. 

At DX my PSA was 61, following Zoladex injection in just 2-3 weeks it went to 4.3. A month later (last Thursday) it dropped to 0.67 so it’s heading in the right direction thankfully. 

Hope to hear how things are going for you all, as ever. 

Matthew 

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 13:00

Hope this finds you well. 

Update from me day 2 post Docataxel  chemotherapy cycle 1 of 6. 

No discernible side effects other than day 1 I felt a mild Ready Brek glow sensation a bit like a raised internal nuclear reactor and slightly increased breathlessness. They went overnight and today I caught up with some work, walked a brisk 3 miles and 30 minutes in our gym. Preparing for work related video conferences this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised given I was warned to expect a handful of side effects but  especially fatigue and sickness/nausea. I realise it’s early days yet and this treatment can be cumulative in nature. 

At DX my PSA was 61, following Zoladex injection in just 2-3 weeks it went to 4.3. A month later (last Thursday) it dropped to 0.67 so it’s heading in the right direction thankfully. 

Hope to hear how things are going for you all, as ever. 

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 14:48
Great news Matthew. And great spirit 👍
User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 17:17

Sounds very positive Matthew, hope things continue to go well.

Ido4

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 17:24

Very kind of you Ido4. 

Reading you bio I can see your epic journey to date. How are you since your last low PSA reading in January?

Thanks again, be well. 

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 20:32
Hi Matthew...Great to hear you are feeling good post day 2 of CT. Will be following your updates.

Best wishes Ann

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 17:30

Thanks Matthew. My PSA was still below 0.1 in March which is great. My next test and oncology review are at the end of June. Stay well.

Ido4

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 22:19

Matt, I found it helpful to keep a note of what was hitting me for each day of the cycle? Know what to expect and when for the following cycles 😀   

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 22:30

Hi Matthew and everyone

Glad to hear your chemo ok so far - good luck.  I just couldn't justify chemo for myself as I was too worried about potential side effects and QoL issues. So I'm going for apalutamide and chemo can wait until another day!  On a radical approach, I'm also going for orchidectomy at the end of the month.  Been hating the side effects of the prostap, so at least I can dump this before the apalutamide starts.  I understand surgery has less side effects and long term complications than HT. Plus I hate having all these drugs in my system. So one out one in!

I also had some single dose RT on my leg and spine mets yesterday. Had some very strange side effects that I hadn't been warned about - was sick, had bad pins and needles in both legs until about 11pm and felt very cold! However, all fine this morning - just hope they haven't damaged my spinal cord! 😱

I sometimes wonder how much of cancer sufferers decline is caused by the treatments!

Royal Marsden second opinion came through. Simple letter with no real alternatives to what I'm doing, other than possibly giving RT to prostate in time. Glad I didn't pay for the opinion!

Continuing to try and live in denial - but also educating the school children I teach about cancer.  Their latest fascination is watching the sweat run off me during hot flushes! 🤣

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 05:45

I think you have to research and ask directly if you want to join a clinical trial and go  above standard of care.

when standard of care offers no curative option plus side effects it’s worth seeing what’s on offer in clinical trial as massive advances are being  made in each that don’t always get to become SOC.

something like this;

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04839991

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 05:51

Just worth noting some staff movement seems to have upgraded UCLH prostate cancer clinical trial offering recently

From their website:

If you would like any more information on clinical trials and your opportunity to participate please speak to your doctor or email the research team at uclh.research@nhs.net or call 020 3447 9320

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 06:03

This one seems particularly interesting as you get to know up front at no cost if you have a genetic cause 

Magnitude clinical trial

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03748641

Just a thought

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 07:17

Good morning @Forest John and everyone!

Firstly, thanks everyone for your comments, questions and ideas. It’s really helpful when trying to figure out which route to take or questions to ask the experts. 

John, you’ve stuck to your guns on QoL and chemo / hormone toxicity admirably. Saying goodbye to your guns this month is a perfectly rational move which remains an option I need to discuss at my next appointment. It’s a compelling choice. Very interested to hear how that goes for you. 

Hope the effects of your radiotherapy completely go. It’s unnerving when strange side effects turn up. Anything close to the old spine is a worry. My biggest met is dug in my T5 vertebrae so will have to watch for growth and possible spinal compression one day. 

My second treatment route would have been yours exactly. And I may still take the surgical castration path. Brings tears to my eyes! 

As for my day 6 into cycle 1 of the trusted Docataxel chemotherapy I’m doing fine. I suffered terrible acid reflux from the steroids (which I was forewarned about to be fair) but the hospital prescribed some wonder pills that sorted me out within 24 hours or so. The increased aches and pains are being managed pretty well by painkillers so all in all, feeling mostly good. Avoiding anything significant so far. 

It’s really good to hear from you John and others here, the perspective and knowledge sharing is really helpful. 

PS: Keep on teaching the next generation with y our typical humour, I bet you’re loved and appreciated more than you know by students, parents and colleagues 

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 08:30

Hi Claret 

Some of these trials might be reasonable when you're looking at the end game, otherwise they look a bit frightening!  I'm hoping more is done with immunotherapy rather than more toxic drugs/hormone disruptors. Fingers crossed!

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 08:38

Hi Matthew

Yes, comparing our treatments will be interesting.  However, from all my research there appears to be no right treatment answer. Each of the various options might work for a few months or years and they all come with a range of nasty side effects! All depends on how your specific body reacts.

The chemo scared me as I said, especially the fact that I would need all the other drugs to tolerate it/help it work - steroids, anti sickness drugs, antibiotics, red blood cell promoters, pain killers, etc. You'd be rattling!

I'll probably be regretting my decision in time, but you take your chances and hope.

Yes, kids think I'm a nutter most of the time! 🤣🤣.  Lot's of lovely comments coming from parents.

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 09:04

You’re absolutely right John. Every guy will respond differently and there’s no single route. We do our best and take our chances I agree. We will do well to try and live with no regrets. It’s a massive shift emotionally and mentally for not just us as men but everyone around us.

Really wishing you the best mate. You are doing a great job!