Show search

Notification

Error
<12

completely terrified and distraught

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 15:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
What do you mean that they are not explaining the context well to me?

Just that perhaps when the surgeon quoted to you that he has a 90% success rate with continence and ED, what he might have meant is that 90% of his patients are using one pad per day or less and 90% of his patients can get an erection but most of them need a vacuum pump,  tablets or injections to do so. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 15:49
In that case and in my opinion...
then in addition to not calling things by their true name,
they are cheaters...

What do you mean that they are not explaining the context well to me?

Just that perhaps when the surgeon quoted to you that he has a 90% success rate with continence and ED, what he might have meant is that 90% of his patients are using one pad per day or less and 90% of his patients can get an erection but most of them need a vacuum pump,  tablets or injections to do so. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 16:05

they are cheaters...

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 16:25

they are cheaters...

In your comment ' not calling things by their true name'  You have have highlighted a problem with accurately defining things.

For example. What's an erection?

Something you can do 'naturally'? Something slightly better than being flaccid? Something you can achieve with mechanical or chemical assistance? Something that can be used for penetrative sex? Or something that you can crack toffee with? 

Edited by member 29 Dec 2023 at 01:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 16:38
What one hopes at least... is to remain the same as they were before the surgery

or with a minimal impact on their quality of life.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 16:50

What one hopes at least... is to remain the same as they were before the surgery

If everyone ended up as good, or nearly as good, as they were before prostate cancer, I doubt they'd be a need for this site. That's the reality of the situation.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 17:17
The reality of the current situation,

in my opinion, is that unfortunately despite robotic surgery even in expert hands

and the most advanced radiotherapy, much progress still needs to be made

to minimize the impact on the quality of life of patients.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 01:43

It is rare for a man to remain the same as before the RP - even if he can get an erection strong enough for penetration, there is the dry orgasms and (for most men) smaller penis to contend with. And some men will be continent almost all of the time but leak urine during sexual intercourse. 

The reality of the current situation, in my opinion, is that unfortunately despite robotic surgery even in expert hands and the most advanced radiotherapy, much progress still needs to be made to minimize the impact on the quality of life of patients.

This is cancer, even if it is a fairly common one. Surely the focus has to be on successfully treating the cancer? A man who is more concerned about the side effects than he is about the cancer does have options - green laser light, cryotherapy, nanoknife all have fewer side effects although they may need to be repeated 2 or more times as recurrence rates can be higher

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 01:52

I don't think they are cheaters - just that the medical definition of a word or the criteria used to define a situation can be different to what the lay person might imagine. Also, I did say that these are the NHS definitions and it might be different in Spain. Perhaps when a Spanish urologist says that he has a 95% success rate with ED / continence, he really means it? It would be surprising if Spain is getting remarkably better results than other countries though - I have read that ED is a problem for 60% of American men post-RP. 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 07:57
You are probably right, many times we forget the primary effect (cancer)
and focus on the secondary ones, due to that desperation eager to cure
ourselves without sequelae or with the minimum possible.

I understand that in relation to having a Gleason 6
or a higher grade it does not make a difference and there are no advantages
in the impact of continence/ED (even preserving the nerves responsible for the erection)
since the procedure for remove it is the same in the case of robotic surgery.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2023 at 07:58  | Reason: Not specified