Error

My 3 men contd

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 03:51

Hope John is ok Lyn. Hoping whatever the family crisis are that they are sorted

Bri x

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 13:25

Hope your family crisis satisfactorily resolved, Lyn.

May I also salute your charitable spirit towards the Gambian people. 👍

Regards,

Jacey

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 14:34
Pleased to hear it wasn't a heart attack after all. Hope life gets back to normal asap.

Kind regards.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 17:14
Sorry I missed this Lyn,

I'm pleased that John is ok but what a worry! And other stuff going on as well, that's all you need. What a homecoming.

What lovely people you are, supporting people and a school in deprived parts of the world. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Lots of love

Allison xxx

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 18:31

Wow what an unexpected concern. I had not seen this posting and just seen your lovely happy pictures in Gambia. So glad it turned out to be something else though the worry you could do without. Hope it's all settling now.,

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 22:02
Oh my, in my travels I missed this latest problem for John, thank goodness he is all OK ,

Hope the family crisis that sparked it all off has now been resolved.

xx

Mandy

User
Posted 04 Jan 2015 at 12:15

Thanks all. John is absolutely fine now - sadly, the family matters have come one after another. None will be resolved quickly and we need to be very strong to get everyone else through so I think after the initial firefighting John was just overwhelmed with sadness. The problems are nothing in comparison to what some on the forum are facing and we will of course survive

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Jan 2015 at 16:17

A lot going on for all you and I concur with the other posts wishing you good luck, glad it wasn't a heart attack, respect for your charitable work and no comment on the choice re. sex and malaria .... apart from both have their dangers!

dl

User
Posted 04 Jan 2015 at 22:54

Blooming heck Lyn you have been busy , Gambia, blue lights, heart attack, sex and Malaria all in the same week. Seriously I am glad that John is OK .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 27 Jan 2015 at 23:36

Dad had his consultation today with Mr P.

PSA has risen but (this will mess with the heads of all debating the significance of PSA fluctuations) when the blood sample was taken, it was sent to two labs - the first to our local hospital where Mr P is based and the other to the GP's preferred lab in Harrogate (I think I have posted here before that it is allegedly common knowledge amongst medics in our area that PSA tests come back higher from Harrogate than from St James's).

Well, case proved. Dad's Leeds result was 0.30 and his Harrogate result was 0.32 - a difference of nearly 7%

Taking the .3 as reliable, it is a rise of 50% in 6 months but Dad & Mr P have agreed to leave it for 12 months before next test. I can't say I feel thrilled about that but on the basis that dad is pretty clear he would not agree to any treatment anyway, it seems a bit pointless to him to create anxiety that he will then do nothing about. Joy.

Edited by member 03 Feb 2015 at 00:17  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 09:11

Doesn't sound as though it's helping much with your anxiety though, Lyn. In the end, it's his decision and if he and Mr P are happy with that,you've got to let them get on with it. Relax on this one till next year, even if you'd have preferred a more pro-active response.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 09:34

Lyn,

Am I like your dad? Well of course not, except perhaps for one similarity which is attitude to PCa the more you survive. A topic rarely touched on here and maybe not elsewhere? Its not that you’ve given up on thankfully a long fight nor do you feel invincible but the more I survive the more I’m aware of others my age and younger in all health areas that do not. From that the quality of life, which always scored high on my list of wants, becomes increasingly important.

If it’s any comfort and not wishing to upset anyone: would I let my kids/relatives influence my health decision, No, perhaps it’s an age thing :)

Good luck to all

Ray

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 18:35

That time of year again - the 3 months seem to come around so quickly! John & I saw the onco last night, scores are in and PSA has stayed stable at 0.04 so it certainly seems that 0.02 - 0.04 is his 'normal'. Next appointment in August which will be 3 years on from RT and then we will move to telephone consultations every 3 months rather than face-to-face. In the meantime, next appointment with the uro will be June, 5 1/2 years post op.

We had a good chat about stress and anxiety - Mr B said he felt much better afterwards :-)

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 19:09
Hi Lyn,

Really good news (always welcomed). Long may it be continued.

Steve

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 19:59
OH Lyn

That's great news, so pleased to hear this.

Lots and lots of love to you both

Allison xxx

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 21:00

Lyn

Great news and reassuring to others who may have to follow the same path, as Steve said long may it continue.

ThanksChris

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 21:20

Absolutely Fabulous news I am so glad for you, so 2-4 is your new normal also loving the wise cracks from you, keep them coming.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 21:24

Great news Lyn...when are you joining the 6 months to a year club...I could do with some company and a friendly face :)

Bri x

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 21:34

Excellent news, Lyn. i was wondering about the 6 monthly club as well!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 22:58

Great news, Lyn and John.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 01:51

Thanks all - with other things going on, we really needed some good news I think. As do many on here right now - thinking of you all xxx

Bri / Paul, not until the 10 year mark apparently - perhaps because Stan's disease did not behave normally?

Edited by member 02 Apr 2015 at 01:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 01:58

Julie, I don't know where I am going wrong. I am the least empathetic person in the world and yet I must have one of those faces that makes people want to spill their hearts :-( Mr B was very stressed last night so we gave him some good advice. I met a man on a train who told me all about his problems with his aging mum and his job. Two women left my training course today in tears (in the first 5 minutes .. I hadn't even got to the ground rules) and a third took up my whole lunch break with a worry about her children.

I might resign and become a till operator at Asda. People don't tell them stuff, do they?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 03:59
Lyn

first of all great news for you and John we all need and love good news any time we can get it.

Secondly being a till operator at Asda will not help you at all, they get it all the time usually from little old ladies on pension day. I sometimes think being an underwater basket weaver might be a good trade to have and use. No-one in their right mind would want to talk underwater.!!

xx

Mo

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 09:06

Great news Lyn. All the best.

Bazza

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 09:57
Hi Lyn

Great news on the results. As for your desire to change your profession, believe me becoming a till operator or anything that requires face to face contact with the public is like jumping out the frying pan into the fire. Maybe the best job would be to become a Nun, but reading your posts in the past I don't think you would be able follow the rules required lol.

Roy

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 13:02
Hi Lyn, good news. In terms of people telling you their stories you do have that understanding face and you give good straight forward comments to people which makes us feel confident. I certainly was reassured when you have responded to my concerns. All the best. Georgina
User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 13:34
Pleased to hear your John has had a good PSA result.

Thank you for all the advice you have given me on this forum during the last 2 years - this is much appreciated.

Sending best wishes.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 14:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I might resign and become a till operator at Asda. People don't tell them stuff, do they?

Very good news on hubby's latest  result Lyn....

PS....... If the looks on the faces of till operators at my local supermarket  this morning are anything to go by you wouldn't want to enter into any deep meaningful discussion with any of them....http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 16:40

Great PSA results John, good news, love it 

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 23:30

Hi Lyn,

Good news and we all love good news http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 23:41

Great news Lyn

dl

User
Posted 03 Apr 2015 at 09:12

OH My I couldn't stop laughing , I know have this image in my head of Lyn as an Asda checkout lady dressed in a Nun's habit and very sternly telling people that they can't buy the BURGERS. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 03 Apr 2015 at 10:56

Gone off Asda - too green.

At Morrisons, staff are required to be nice to customers. That's no good.

Tesco has replaced till operators with machines

What colour do staff wear at Sainsbury's?

User
Posted 03 Apr 2015 at 10:58

Alathays, nice to see you posting! Are you just going away on a cruise or just coming back?

User
Posted 18 Aug 2015 at 23:18

August result came in today at 0.08 so John's 'normal' of 0.02 - 0.04 apparently extends upwards sometimes ... instinct is that it has been inflated by 3 weeks of cycling in France 🚲

Edited by member 18 Aug 2015 at 23:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 00:06

Lyn

This is why as long as I stay <0.1, I'm a happy bunny and don't want to know more. I am sure you're right about the cycling - thankfully golf doesn't throw up the same problem - it does mess with your brain, though! I get my next result next week. With all that's going on with dad, it's the least of my concerns at the moment!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 00:42

Lyn
It must be so relieving for you both for Johns psa results to continue so low.
I so hope that my own psa is down at those values in 6 years time.

By the way PCUK do have a hospitality tent at GNR as do YCR, I'll look out for you at the PCUK tent.

Hope you enjoyed France

Paul

Edited by member 19 Aug 2015 at 00:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 06:55

I'm seriously considering having the standard test in future as recommended by the oncol. I'm not sure the angst minor fluctuations can cause is worth it...

Hoping this drops to its 'normal' range soon Lyn.

Bri

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 07:09
So pleased for you Lyn.

Bazza x

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 09:02

Glad it's good news Lyn

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 09:36

Good news Lyn!

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 10:29

Lyn

Good result

Even though 1 of my later results demolished my theory of too much physical activity of any kind a week before test increases PSA so I still stick with an easy week as I did on my last test. I know John is minus a prostate but we know other glands produce PSA so I would see it as normal for those glands to increase PSA with all that cycling. But whatever the cause keep enjoying what you do.

Ray

Edited by member 19 Aug 2015 at 10:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 10:51

I feel as if I know you Lynne, you and others have and still are so much help to me ( and others )

I know I dont post as I feel I should, but don't feel my knowledge ( or lack of it ) will help just yet.

I'm so pleased for you, really good news.

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 14:51
Lyn

Great news cycling really is fantastic but I am sure it pushes PSA up temporarily.

Are you using your family just giving page for the GNR? I will be doing my thing for you and Paul (Healey)on Friday when I cook the books.

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 16:49

Lyn

It is always nice to hear good news on here.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 19:07

Thanks all - John was a little panicky about it but when I checked back, he had a small rise in August 13 and August 14, both of which dropped again by the November test so I am pretty sure it is something to do with nos vacances. And of course, he doesn't just tootle around on the bike, we're talking lycra and everything :-)

User
Posted 19 Aug 2015 at 19:15

I am Mo although I may not be worth sponsoring this year :-(

On the good news front, Yorkhull and Devonmaid will be thrilled to hear that I will be harder to spot on the TV this year as I will be sporting an e-cigarette (for those newer members who do not know, I have in the past been harangued my colleague athletes for taking ciggy breaks as I run round the Great North Run course and was once caught on camera having a sneaky one at the starting line)

Healey, I will see you in the massage queue at the PCUK tent

User
Posted 20 Aug 2015 at 12:16

Indeed good news Lyn. You know you can do it!

User
Posted 20 Aug 2015 at 12:18

Really good news about  John's results, such an encouragement ! Best of luck with the fund raising !

Fiona. xx

User
Posted 20 Aug 2015 at 12:33

Lyn , if I meet you in the massage queue can I give you a quick rub down? Diesel. x