I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

just joined again

User
Posted 30 May 2014 at 23:31

from the old board. Well its the last month of casodex for me, had my blood test today, hopefully psa is still low. It has been 0.05 for the last 3 years. Unfortunately has left me with moobs, i will be meeting my onco this thursday for results and hopefully get a date for breast reduction surgery. 

User
Posted 31 May 2014 at 11:39
All the best with the results SC

Bri

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 01:27
cheers bri and johsan, will keep you updated. Never give up !!!
User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 10:57
Hi Stonecold, great to see your update. Someone else on here has had breast reduction surgery recently although for the minute I can't remember who. It is a big step but if your mind is set I really really hope they agree to do this for you on the NHS.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 May 2014 at 11:39
All the best with the results SC

Bri

User
Posted 31 May 2014 at 12:40
Good Luck Stonecold. Hope you get what you want out of the meeting.

As a newbie I am personally pleased that previous members are posting on here now. It's making it easier for people like me and it should make it easier for others who join from now.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 01:27
cheers bri and johsan, will keep you updated. Never give up !!!
User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 01:33
on a different note, it took me an age to rejoin.....and if i'm honest i prefer the old board. Mods what were you smoking.........
User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 10:57
Hi Stonecold, great to see your update. Someone else on here has had breast reduction surgery recently although for the minute I can't remember who. It is a big step but if your mind is set I really really hope they agree to do this for you on the NHS.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 14:03
must hunt out which member it was, have to do it lyn, i cant carry on like this. Beside with summer coming its too hot to be wearing over-sized jumpers ,hoodies etc.
User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 16:19
Hi Steve,

Trying for 2nd time to post this reply. Just to let you know that I stopped taking Casodex 5 weeks back to see if it would reduce the size of my moobs, but as yet there is no sign of any change. As I have also have been considering surgery. I think you might find that you may have to be off Casodex for some while before they will offer surgery. Good luck with your PSA results and the meeting.

Cheers

Stu

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 18:56
Hi Stu,

I think the pharmaceutical companies tend to acknowledge moobs as a side effect which is more likely to be permanent than temporary. For some men they reduce in size a bit but never go away completely. If that was how our bodies worked, women over the age of about 50 would all be flat chested!

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 20:33
Hi Lyn,

I don't quite get that argument, where does the women thing come into it? I guess I don't fully understand the workings of Casodex or women. Is every man going to experience bigger boobs in taking Casodex or is it just our chemical make up and the luck of the draw.

In that case I'm taking a much bigger gamble coming off the drugs just for the sake of a little embarrassment.

Stu

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 21:49

Hi guys did you take Tamoxifen along with the Casodex? Hubby was prescribed this to avoid Moobs, just wondering if its likely to work or not?

User
Posted 02 Jun 2014 at 01:00
Hi songbird,no i wasn't prescribed tamoxifen, just casodex for three years. I was on zoladex implants but had a bad reaction to it, so was prescribed casodex instead. It seems moobs are part of the deal.
User
Posted 02 Jun 2014 at 03:02
Hi Songbird,

Yes Tamoxifen, a hormone drug for woman with breast cancer, does help limit man boobs and also helps reduce tenderness around the nipple and breast tissue in men on normal HT. Normally taken weekly at a fairly low dose as prescribed by your GP.

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

PS

Stonecold, Tamoxifen is not used instead of Casodex etc. but in conjunction with it .....strangely two opposites in a way, the peculiarities of Hormone Treatment?

Edited by member 02 Jun 2014 at 03:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jun 2014 at 13:39

Hi Stu,

It's more usual to get moobs when Casodex is used as a monotherapy. Those on an LHRH or combined treatment are less likely to suffer.

My understanding is that because Casodex blocks rather than stops testosterone, this affects the oestrogen levels differently in men. Some men haver higher levels than others anyway. It is the availability of the ( now excess )  oestrogen to breast tissue that causes growth. Hence some success using the oestrogen antagonist tamoxifen. Whether this blocker affects P.Ca. more directly I don't know. In the sense that oestrogen can block testosterone ( i.e use of Diethystilbestrol for P.Ca. ). 

R/T to breast tissue is only thought to be effective if done as treatment starts. To disrupt the cell - switch to oestrogen growth. Tamoxifen may stop further growth but unlikely to reduce it.

Small amounts of growth can reverse as it did in my case. And re-introducing Casodex, twice now , so far, has not triggered more growth.

Some prefer Casodex as it causes less muscle wastage & perhaps less fatigue in some cases.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2014 at 17:20

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the explanation, I now understand to what Lyn was referring.  Neither my GP nor Urologist would prescribe Tamoxifen together with Casodex.  Too late now anyway, as it ain't going to reduce the size of them.  I guess it's time for another visit to the Urologist before I do any more damage self diagnosing.

Although my testosterone is pretty high my PSA is low at 0.21, so I can't complain. If it wasn't for these over sized moobs, even I wouldn't know that I had Pca.

Thanks for bringing this up Steve. I guess we are both in the same boat.

Cheers,

Stu

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 00:01
Well all went well, psa had gone up to 0.03, dont want to see me for another 6 months, all treatment has finished, and i got a call from the surgeon to say my moobs will be gone soon. Psa rise was to be expected, after all ive been on casodex for nigh on three years now. They were saying although its gone nothing is guaranteed, however i will take that. Its been one of those days...won 25 pound on lotto, won the pub quiz, a few drinks with my mates, been a hell of a journey sometimes tho. Never give up 3.16 stonecold
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 00:24
Excellent news - well done!
Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 02:30
Stonecold, really pleased that you have had such a successful day x