I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Uninterrupted sleep - remember that??

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 18:22

My OH has been suffering with nocturia for about 3 years (and this was the symptom that lead to the diagnosis of PCa). I have written on this forum before about the problem.

He has recently been prescribed a painkiller/sleeping pill for a shoulder pain/injury that obviously makes him more tired at night, and for the first time in 3 years he has now slept through the night for 3 nights without being woken up to urinate, for over 3 years.

Clearly the diagnosis and ongoing worry of PCa that keeps us all up at night, made it so he was aware of every twinge of the bladder, and some night he had to get up possibly 8 times, but sleeping more deeply has meant that he has not been woken up at all (and no accidents!).

I know this will be short lived, whilst he is on the painkillers, and I would not condone long term use, but thought it may be helpful to know.

Best wishes to all

Alison x

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 19:41
It is something John's consultant has talked about in the past, that men can just get into a really bad habit of getting up whenever they wake. It seems quite obvious doesn't it when you think about it, if I wake up in the night and want a wee I just turn over and go back to sleep on the assumption that it will wait. If John wakes, he gets up because he assumes he can't wait.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard