I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sudden weight loss

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 19:17
Hi all. My name is Ben and I'm 39. I went to the GPs yesterday because of problems urinating (poor flow). I had a DRE which doc said was unremarkable. Very slightly enlarged but smooth and nothing sinister.

I have had mild back pain but nothing that has worried me.

In the consult my GP asked if I had noticed any weight loss. To which I replied I hadn't.

I went home and weighed myself and I have lost a stone! Was 15 stone, now 14 stone. Probably last weighed myself 3 months ago?

I am now completely terrified I have cancer.

I am going for a PSA test in 4 weeks. Should I bring this forward?

Would appreciate some words as I'm not in a good place at the moment.

Cheers

Ben

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 22:15
Hi Ben,

Weight loss is not normally associated with Prostate Cancer. With a PSA in a months time I would not worry unduly it is good news that your GP has said that your prostate was smooth. A large prostate can result in a slow flow so all in all I wouldn't worry too much.

Best of luck with the test

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 23:08

As far as I know 39 is a very young age indeed to be worried about prostate cancer.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 08:50
You'll only fret for four weeks anyway. Why not ask for the PSA test now and put your mind at rest. Welcome by the way.
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 08:59
dont think you have anything to worry about but for your own peace of mind get the PSA test done sooner
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 22:15
Hi Ben,

Weight loss is not normally associated with Prostate Cancer. With a PSA in a months time I would not worry unduly it is good news that your GP has said that your prostate was smooth. A large prostate can result in a slow flow so all in all I wouldn't worry too much.

Best of luck with the test

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 23:08

As far as I know 39 is a very young age indeed to be worried about prostate cancer.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 08:50
You'll only fret for four weeks anyway. Why not ask for the PSA test now and put your mind at rest. Welcome by the way.
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 08:59
dont think you have anything to worry about but for your own peace of mind get the PSA test done sooner
User
Posted 14 Jul 2014 at 19:08
Just thought I would update guys. PSA came back at 1.5 which doc said was OK (I have no idea so trust him).

Still having some peeing probs and back hip pain, some days worse than others. Been refered to Urologist which I'm guessing will be more tests. Cheers and thanks for replies so far. Ben.