I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HRT Patch trials - HRT patches

User
Posted 24 Jun 2014 at 17:02

Hi, I don't really understand internet, and am completely confused by this web site, so if I'm doing something inappropriate please feel free to tell me so.

I was diagnosed in November 2012, and after some tests (including a radio-active scan) I was selected to enter a clinical trial using Hormone replacement therapy patches, called "Prostate Adenocarcinoma TransCutaneous Hormones".  Initially I wore 4 patches, but after 6 months this was reduced to 3 patches.  During that time my PSA (what ever it is) reduced from about 2300 to 50, or so.  This has now decreased to zero point two.  I can't remember what treatment I received before starting the patches, which happened about May 2013.

I understand that I also have a bone cancer (which is why I have been told that I have advanced prostate cancer) that makes lying in bed very uncomfortable after about 4 hours.  I am on a pain killer called Co--codamol, (codeine + paracetamol) which wear off after that time.

That's all I want to say at present, is there anyone else using this site getting the same, or similar treatment?

Overall I feel quite well, and living OK.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif.  Regards, Dave169

User
Posted 25 Jun 2014 at 02:28
Hi, Dave. Welcome to the club nobody really wants to belong to. Your internet/site skills seem adequate to me. From what you describe, the treatment you've been on has been effective. To bring your PSA down that dramatically is a very good thing. Trying to remain comfortably in bed with the pain you described is a challenge to be sure, but your medical consultants should be able to do a good job of controlling your pain. It may take a while. Those of us on this journey with you strive mightily to gain more patience and tolerance of what occasionally seems like a fruitless fight.

My treatment is different than yours (I'm on hormone treatment), but someone will chime in soon with treatment experience you can relate to.

"Feeling well and living OK" sounds pretty good to me. Please keep us posted and ask all the questions you need.

All the best to you.

Lawrence
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 15:50
Hi Dave...yes m8 I am on hormone patch trials like yourself for prostate cancer thankfully though Ithink hasn't gone to my bones. Like you I started with 4 patches then after about 3 months went down to 3 patches but found my psa was going up again so they wacked me back up to 4. So I've been on them for about a year now waiting for my radiotherapy which I've staved off until I come back from New Zealand in April.
Problem for me is the dam patches leave a sore ring where ever they have been put and am running out of places to put them do you find the same......am considering going on to the injections cause after the radiotherapy they say to stay on the hormone treatment for another 2 years....not sure I can hack the patches for that long 😣.
Anyone else gave a problem? ?
Del
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 15:51
Hi Dave...yes m8 I am on hormone patch trials like yourself for prostate cancer thankfully though Ithink hasn't gone to my bones. Like you I started with 4 patches then after about 3 months went down to 3 patches but found my psa was going up again so they wacked me back up to 4. So I've been on them for about a year now waiting for my radiotherapy which I've staved off until I come back from New Zealand in April.
Problem for me is the dam patches leave a sore ring where ever they have been put and am running out of places to put them do you find the same......am considering going on to the injections cause after the radiotherapy they say to stay on the hormone treatment for another 2 years....not sure I can hack the patches for that long 😣.
Anyone else gave a problem? ?
Del