Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Flow after RP

User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 22:04
Hi guys,

Just a question for those who've had the RP. Is the flow likely to improve after the op? I'm in quite a bit of discomfort passing water and the flow is difficult to start and maintain.

Today was particularly bad. I thought I'd got some sort of blockage in the form of a stone or something and was going to have to visit A&E.

It's taking me at least 4 or 5 minutes to take a pee & I'm up at least twice, sometimes even 7 or 8 times during the night. I hardly get any good quality sleep & I dread the next toilet experience.

I had the camera inside my bladder business a few months ago whilst watching on the big screen & besides my prostrate causing some excitement amongst the hospital staff, my bladder was lovely and clear inside. It was like watching some bizarre episode of Horizon on the TV, except i was the star & lying in theatre.

My MRI showed the wall of my bladder was thickened all round & the consultant said it was permanently damaged due to my prostrate being enlarged for some time.

Cheers

Carlos

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 10:46

Hi Carlos,

I didn't experience this after my op. About a month before my RP I went into hospital as a day case and had a stricture removed from the inside of my urethra that was causing the symptoms you now have. This had to be done as the catheter could not have been inserted post op otherwise. I see your op isn't due until August. The thing is though that if you have had a camera inserted there must have been room for it to pass into your bladder and so I can't see that a stricture would be the cause of your discomfort. I'm sure someone with better knowledge than I have will be along shortly with further words of advice though.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 12:29

Carlos

First few day post catheter passing water was uncomfortable at times getting rid of the debris, red wine at first changing to rose then cloudy urine.   My urine soon settled down then I had a small set back with water infection. My flow rate and comfort changed, starts like a fire hose slight discomfort then finishes with a dribble, but no post dribble once put away. Now seems to be settling back to normal flow and no discomfort. Pre op flow was good then squirts, milking, shaking, put away then dribble in the pants, so vast improvement.

I sometimes get up once in the night, other times sleep 7 hours without waking. I think a lot depends on what you drink but I have not quite figured out what suits me best, still early days. Having a camera inspection in three weeks just to check it out the bladder etc .  As my surgeon said the plumbing has been altered you need to retrain the bladder. Incontinence nurse recommends de-caf and of course my favourite hobby pelvic floor exercises. 

All the best Chris

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 22:05
I told the wife I was pi**ing like a horse when I got up in the night. That's 11 weeks post surgery - it's got a lot better for me!
Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 22:37
Carlos

Had RP last October. Flow before op was slow and I was used to a pee taking some time and then sometimesdhaving to go again 20 minutes later.

Since the op it is extremely fast flowing and all over in about 10 to 15 seconds flat! It just pours out. As for night time I now no longer avoid taking in fluid during the evening and usually experience the need to have a pee once or twice a night. I never get through the night without going at least once.

One tip is to avoid caffeine. I find that it irritates my bladder with the result that my bladder is very keen to expel it a,s,a,p. This can result in more than one urgent dash to the loo a couple of hours after a cup of caffeinated coffee. Not every time and I've never really got to the bottom of why one day I'm affected and another day I'm not.

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 23:23
Thanks guys,

Looks like I can look forward to better times after the op. Glad things are going well for you all. I've ditched the coffee except an occasional one. Seems to play havoc & have me in tears as well as being caught short on a few occasions. It aggravates my bladder something rotten.

I've also reduced the dairy & using soya milk in my tea. Not sure if this is good but I read somewhere soya might help. Besides', it's tastier on the porridge too:-)

These weeks really are dragging now. Just 3 weeks until i finish work for 3 weeks holiday, bit of travelling in my caravan & taking in a marathon in bath & hopefully some kayaking in Cornwall, followed by the annual humongous cutting of the garden hedge project before I'm knocked about with the op for a few weeks.

Went shopping today & purchased pj's (I'm usually a nude sleeper), new slippers, dressing gown and toiletry bag. I'll be the smartest in patient they've ever seen no doubt lol.

Thanks for the support all. Hopefully one day Soon, I can get some sleep without laying awake all night worrying about the future or how long to the next pee!

Cheers

Carlos

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 20:54

I had new PJ's too but never used them. The gown they give you in hospital is very good actually. It is open at the back but as you're wearing a dressing gown (mostly) it doesn't matter. Good, as you have a catheter in and good for going to the loo too. Pyjama trousers would just get in the way.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 21:27

hi

had no problems pre op with passing water. after op it is like a fire hose as someone  else has said!!and still is!! it is all over in 10 seconds. it reminds me of a pit stop in formula one. its so quick.i try not to drink any liquids after 9pm. but even if i do i only occasionally have to go the toilet once in a night.

one thing to watch. as the flow is quick i got caught out in the early days. so get yourself prepared as there is no delay.

good luck.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 10:04

Before my RP op my flow was quite weak and I had a fair bit of post-pee dribbling - in fact those were the reasons I originally went to see my GP, starting the process that led to PCa diagnosis and the op.

My catheter was removed last Friday.  I have been very lucky as I was continent as soon as the catheter was removed.  The flow has been amazing.  A pee takes about a quarter of the time it did pre-op.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 10:25
Thanks guys,

Very reassuring. I was up 7 times last night which seems typical these days, an average pee is 4 or 5 minutes and hurts a Lot forcing it through.

Just a week left to go at work, most of my stuff is with others to manage, I'm just mopping up all the loose ends & trouble.

I know I must sound a whoose but I'm feeling quite useless & vulnerable both at work & at home. Had a bit of a doo last night with my OH as she said she feels she 'needs' to look after me. I'm fiercely independent and active.

A visit to to the incontinence nurse yesterday afternoon was a wake up call too.

Went to the pub straight after and studied the bottom of several pints of beer followed by a late night curry. Similar planned tonight with mates.

Laughing and joking in the pub with the lads is becoming an all to regular coping mechanism that I'm acutely aware is not a sustainable or sensible one.

It's a struggle to talk openly about the side affects as a lot of blokes get all embarrassed when you mention bladder control & erection issues.

I've given over my desk at work to a new guy that I've actually set on to help with things ticking over whilst I'm off. I thought it was important he sat with and became integral to the team. I'm hot desking in no mans land.

Will be glad to move on to the next chapter of my life & begin the fight I'm facing.

Edited by member 11 Jul 2014 at 10:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 21:30

Hi Carlos

The waiting between tests, for results and then the op itself is one of the worst parts. You probably just want to get on with it now and get the op out of the way.

Enjoy the nights out with your mates but you will find they dont want to know about the after effects. They probably will be pleased its not them that has to have the op and consequences. I didnt really talk about it to male friends or male family as i felt embarrassed and they did too.Have you joined a support group? I did and it was a great help. You could talk openly about incontinence and ED. Also talking here was a great help. Since the op I have only talked about it here and with the support group. I did mention incontinence to 2 close friends but felt after that it would have been better if i hadn't. did they really want to know? it's just i got so used to openly discussing it here and in the group that i felt i was quite normal to speak to others!

Dont worry about being vulnerable. This is a difficult and worrying time.You have had a hell of a shock and you are used to be independent. You are feeling a bit lost at home and at work. I think you have 3 weeks off before the op so keep busy. Must be plenty of jobs around the house and of course keep the fitness training up. someone said to me treat the op as a boxing match and get to that fitness level. I think you are much fitter than me and younger so you have that on your side.

Your psa is very similar to mine and you are a young and fit man. so recovery should be good. 

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Keep positive and smiling. you will be fine

User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 21:34

hi 

my reply to carlos should have gone onto another topic which i was discussing with him. I will post it there now

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 07:17

"I know I must sound a whoose but I'm feeling quite useless & vulnerable both at work & at home. Had a bit of a doo last night with my OH as she said she feels she 'needs' to look after me. I'm fiercely independent and active."

Carlos, could I just say that for the wife or other half, what you are going through tears us apart inside.

We are helpless in all medical aspects, apart from a bit of research perhaps.

The only way we can really be supportive is to show we care. Sometimes maybe we do that by wanting to swamp you with our attentions.

IT doesn't mean that we feel you are a whoose or useless.
It does mean that we love you as our other half and that's how WE cope.

We too feel the fears that you men have. We too fear the future. What we can't feel is the pain, the difficulty peeing etc. We too have our concerns regarding ED.
We can probably understand your embarrassment at discussing and having your personal bits mauled around though.

If YOU (or any of the men on here) don't want to be looked after or think it's un-necessary please stop and think of us.
For a lot of women the "mothering" instinct is automatic, it's how we show we care.

Don't give us the cold shoulder or try to show us how brave you are. To some extent we too are on this journey.
Let us help shoulder that burden rather than making us another, different one to carry by ourselves.

Edited by member 12 Jul 2014 at 07:19  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 08:30
I think in some respects it's probably harder for our OH's. I can speak to men in a similar situation on here. My wife can speak to her friends but they haven't been through it

Bri

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 15:02
Thanks John, Sandra & Brian.

Wise words. We are lucky to have each other & this forum.

It's 5 weeks to the op. One more week at work, a week in Bath with a marathon thrown in just for fun & then 2 weeks in Cornwall. The week before the op, I've got a huge hedge to cut. A new back door to fit & the lawns to mow. Should keep me nice n busy.

I'm supposed to be racing for my club on Thursday, just a 5mile road race. Local Grand Prix series. Never felt less like an Athlete ever & don't have the fire in my belly to be aggressive enough to fight for the win. I'm going to run at the back with my wife & stick a poster to my club top 'Carlos 1, Cancer 0' . It's going to have to be enough just to take part for a while.