I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TURMERIC does it help

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 11:54

Hi all I have been taking turmeric for approx 3 years does anyone have any thoughts on if it helps or not 

Richard     S**T HAPPENS

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 19:39
Hi Richard,

I honestly DO believe turmeric helps.

I've added a few teaspoonfuls of ground turmeric, ground cumin and ground black peppercorns to my daily juiced veg & fruit every day for over nine years, and my blood tests come back pretty good.

It might possibly have been a big help in this long fight against PCa.

My treatment lately has been 'intermittent' hormone therapy, and I'm currently on a 'holiday' from the injections.

George

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 11:42
Hi Richard,

Fiona is right about each man having an individual cancer.

That's why there are so many different outcome to treatments.

Speaking for myself, back in 2005 I found the Jane Plant programme and was impressed enough to totally change my diet.

It's a very personal choice, but for me I think it has helped keep my PCa under control.

Of course it is in addition to conventional treatment.

Quite a few others here have also followed this path.

When we have those get-togethers at Leicester, I know from the buffet requirements that a third of the people there opt for the dairy-free & red meat free or vegan option.

It would be worth reading her books, even if you just get one or two from the local library.

Take a look at her website.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 12:13

I'm a fan of turmeric too.
For almost 11 years, every day I've juiced 5 organic carrots, 2 Granny Smith apples, 4 sticks of celery, a lemon, and sometimes a fennel, making approx. a pint of juice.

Before drinking it, I add 6 teaspoons of ground turmeric, 6 of ground cumin, and then grind in a good amount of black peppercorns (which apparently helps the turmeric and cumin work better), and give it all a good stir.

I do believe it has been a major part of my diet regime, and has helped me 'ride my luck' for so long.

George

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 11:54

Hi all I have been taking turmeric for approx 3 years does anyone have any thoughts on if it helps or not 

Richard     S**T HAPPENS

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 20:01

Hi Richard. Lots of research on this. If you use cucurmin, it needs to be in a bio - available form as apparantly it's hard for the body to assimilate. We used Theracurmin from Amazon uk, supposedly a better absorbed formula. Then there is the Pomi-T supplement which also contains it and there is some research suggesting this helps lower PSA, there was a trial at Bedford Hospital last year.

I am a great believer that a prostate friendly diet and supplements may help, especially as a preventative,  but depends on the nature of each mans individual disease and how far advanced. There are certainly men on the forum who have gone into all this in great detail and feel strongly that dietary changes have helped hold back the progression of their disease.

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2016 at 04:11

*                                          How to get the most medicinal value out of your Turmeric

Have had the good fortune to experience panchakarma treatment In a clinic in Delhi once. The super Gent running the clinic and the main Ayur Ved Doc, gave us a cookery lesson or two whilst there, Really sweet of him.

When cooking with Turmeric he puts it on last, Taking the pan of vegetarian food off the heat, Gives it a little stir to release any heat pockets. Then he stirs in the Turmeric. The Sweet Aroma is Devine, You will know when you get it right. IT is heavenly.

The science part, The Art. Overheating it greatly reduces the benefit. Getting it warmed up sufficiently assists in releasing the goodies and the bodies ability to absorb the same.

Meals where cooked in Ghee usually (Organic Clarified butter), It has a lower burning point than most other options so the possibility of overcooking food is reduced. All this keeping the nutrients nutrient and available. Hope this helps Folks.

^                                                Credit must go to Doctor Raj ...... and the Maharishi.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 20:18

I'm not sure of it's medical credentials but I feel it helps me. maybe the placebo effect is underestimated? I buy the root from an Indian supermarket and add chunks to my morning porridge and also juice it. I adore it! Only down side it can turn your teeth and fingers yellow

( temporary! ) Enjoy. 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 10:18

Hi Chris,

You can get Pomi-T tablets on the Internet.

They are designed in UK specifically for PCa patients and have your entire daily need of Pomegranite, Broccoli, Turmeric and Green Tea all wrapped up in a single pill.

Our support group had a doctor come along and recommend them, there is nothing in them other than food concentrates, so they are not actually medicine which can be perscribed, but he described them as the 'best medicine' for PCa patients.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 10:45

I have a girl crush on you Julie x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 10:04

So here's the info I've found on Turmeric. It's more to do with dosage. I've actually stopped today because of awful stomach pain , nausea so bad by night I haven't been able to eat dinner , face flushing , and feelings of intoxication.
1 curry contains approx. 1g / 1 heaped teaspoon of culinary spice
The recommended dose ( after scouring many sites ) is 1 to 3g of fresh root per day , or 1 to 3g of culinary spice per day.
The problem arises with supplements , and the potency of them. The Natures Best Turmeric I bought was high potency 95% Curcumin , and is 20 times stronger than culinary spice. It is a one-a-day tablet equivalent to TEN GRAMMES of spice. Ten curries.
Could be OK for some but not for me , and is over 3 times the recommended dose.
On searching the web it causes gastrointestinal probs at this dose ( no diahorrea or acid though ) and is known to cause nausea. Also it overloads the liver making it hard to process your normal meds and indeed alcohol. So I'm off it for a while to see if I feel better , and then I may get a pill cutter and half the dose. I'm not at all disputing it's health benefits , but supplements should be looked at carefully
Chris

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 12:37

Hi Chris,

I'm not surprised at what you've experienced.

That was a massive dose you were taking, and that can be the trouble with using supplement pills.

Far better just buying small jars of ground turmeric and ground cumin from any supermarket and adding some teaspoons of each, plus ground black peppercorns, to a juiced fruit and veg drink.

You've highlighted the risk of overdosing with supplements, and many here will take heed,

Thanks for such a good post.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 02 Dec 2017 at 09:01

Diet can help you to stay well but cannot be a replacement for proper treatment.

Read up on Steve Jobs. A multimillionaire who could have paid for the best treatments in the world, he died of PCa because he thought he could control it with alternative methods

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 19:39
Hi Richard,

I honestly DO believe turmeric helps.

I've added a few teaspoonfuls of ground turmeric, ground cumin and ground black peppercorns to my daily juiced veg & fruit every day for over nine years, and my blood tests come back pretty good.

It might possibly have been a big help in this long fight against PCa.

My treatment lately has been 'intermittent' hormone therapy, and I'm currently on a 'holiday' from the injections.

George

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 20:01

Hi Richard. Lots of research on this. If you use cucurmin, it needs to be in a bio - available form as apparantly it's hard for the body to assimilate. We used Theracurmin from Amazon uk, supposedly a better absorbed formula. Then there is the Pomi-T supplement which also contains it and there is some research suggesting this helps lower PSA, there was a trial at Bedford Hospital last year.

I am a great believer that a prostate friendly diet and supplements may help, especially as a preventative,  but depends on the nature of each mans individual disease and how far advanced. There are certainly men on the forum who have gone into all this in great detail and feel strongly that dietary changes have helped hold back the progression of their disease.

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 20:57
Thanks for that i take curcuma longa, rhizome from Swanson 1 capsule a day 720mg. Diet wise not sure what I should be eating

Regards Richard

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 11:42
Hi Richard,

Fiona is right about each man having an individual cancer.

That's why there are so many different outcome to treatments.

Speaking for myself, back in 2005 I found the Jane Plant programme and was impressed enough to totally change my diet.

It's a very personal choice, but for me I think it has helped keep my PCa under control.

Of course it is in addition to conventional treatment.

Quite a few others here have also followed this path.

When we have those get-togethers at Leicester, I know from the buffet requirements that a third of the people there opt for the dairy-free & red meat free or vegan option.

It would be worth reading her books, even if you just get one or two from the local library.

Take a look at her website.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 04 Dec 2014 at 19:25

hi,i have read a lot about these extreme diets, dont eat this dont eat that,it must be a full time job dont have dairy dont have red meat,when you are on ht you need calcium for your bones and you need protein i just eat a moderate diet nothing extreme like you see on the internet,you end up thinking what the hell can i eat,and theres a lot about calorie restriction,i think you need calories to keep your strength up to fight the cancer,i think it just boils down to just be sensible,now wheres my hamburger ha ha.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2014 at 20:19

Hi Michael,

My own calcium levels are spot on, and I've been supplementing with 5000i.u. of Vit D3 for years now.

And because of being on and off hormone treatment treatment for almost 10 years, I have a DEXA scan every two years to check that my bone density is good.

It's better now than it was in the early years of diagnosis, despite osteoporosis being a major side effect of hormone therapy.

For your own safety, make sure you have regular tests, and keep your mind at rest.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 12:48

hi,is it okay to take bio-active q10 now that i have finished rt 2months ago,i used to take it before my rt but was advised to stop taking it as it might interfere with my rt treatment.any thoughts on this please.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 12:46

Hi you might be interested in this article from the Science-Based Medicine website which looks at Complementary treatments for cancer including turmeric and q10

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/risks-of-cam-treatments-for-cancer/

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 17:22

thanks read it dont know what to do now at the moment im taking life extension bio- curcumin and green tea extract,6000 iu d3,estrobalance dim.and i have been taking astragalus to help my immune system think i will stop that,when you read different things ,i dont know if taking things will harm me while on neo-adjuvant therapy,iwas taking astragalus with my radiation treatment,and my first follow up psa was 0.01 last week.anyone else have any thoughts on this please.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 15:13

hi.dont post much but do a lot of reading about how guys are getting on with similiar dx,i have been on zoladex since feb 2014,started 6 months before radiotherapy.psa was 65 gleason 4x3 later downgraded to 3x4 locally advanced had invaded seminal vessicles.finished radiotherapy sept 29th 2014 at the moment not to bad except aches and pains especially after weight training to keep my bones strong.i also sprinkle turmeric on everything, and take 1 bio-curcumin capsule and 1 green tea extract by life extention daily.i also take bio-q10,astragalus and pectasol-c 3xdaily i have read some good reviews about pectasol-c,any thoughts on this appreciated.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 19:54

Hello Radar,

I was PSA41, Gleeson 4+4, and T3B, so not dis-similar to you. I have 2.5 years HT+ 37 fractions of RT, and went Dairy Free October 2011, half way through RT, and still am! I will stay Dairy free too.....Why do we, as adult mammals, drink milk intended to help babies grow? It does not make sense to me! It seems a recipe for unwanted extra growth.... now called cancer. Just my thoughts!
However, I am now PSA 0.1, and out of HT, and, at last, expect to remain cancer free for the rest of my life.
I did take Circumin too, but it tastes so bad!
I am on D3, especially as HT depletes it, and my levels are measured as good, as I have them tested each year.

Time and experience are great healers....... Good Luck!

Peter

User
Posted 10 Jun 2015 at 09:43

thanks,i read a lot on here and i have come to the conclusion that nothing makes sense regarding prostate cancer everyone is different and it is pot luck,has anyone any thoughts regarding pectasol-c,i am only a small guy and when first diagnosed started to watch what i eat but i started losing weight so i went back to eating normal but just cutting out red meat and dairy,i also like to have a drink and this sat will be at york races which includes mcmillans charity race you have just got to carry on, when first dx i was allover the place but now further down the line got my head round it just try to carry on as normal cheers.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2016 at 04:11

*                                          How to get the most medicinal value out of your Turmeric

Have had the good fortune to experience panchakarma treatment In a clinic in Delhi once. The super Gent running the clinic and the main Ayur Ved Doc, gave us a cookery lesson or two whilst there, Really sweet of him.

When cooking with Turmeric he puts it on last, Taking the pan of vegetarian food off the heat, Gives it a little stir to release any heat pockets. Then he stirs in the Turmeric. The Sweet Aroma is Devine, You will know when you get it right. IT is heavenly.

The science part, The Art. Overheating it greatly reduces the benefit. Getting it warmed up sufficiently assists in releasing the goodies and the bodies ability to absorb the same.

Meals where cooked in Ghee usually (Organic Clarified butter), It has a lower burning point than most other options so the possibility of overcooking food is reduced. All this keeping the nutrients nutrient and available. Hope this helps Folks.

^                                                Credit must go to Doctor Raj ...... and the Maharishi.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2016 at 10:50

Looks like you're literally "just passing through" as you don't mention any prostate problems so thanks for posting the tips.

Whether turmeric helps or not it's always interesting to get info on the best way of prepapring spices to get the full benefit, whether that be healthwise or flavour

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 20:18

I'm not sure of it's medical credentials but I feel it helps me. maybe the placebo effect is underestimated? I buy the root from an Indian supermarket and add chunks to my morning porridge and also juice it. I adore it! Only down side it can turn your teeth and fingers yellow

( temporary! ) Enjoy. 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 21:58

I don't think it can be simply a placebo effect - Julie's miracle-man Trevor might not be here without the T-factor

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 02:54
I am only up at this hour because I have been to bed at 9.30 and then the dogs woke me , so I have just had a fillet steak and jacket spud with lashings of real Butter, but any way back to the Turmeic debate.

Does it help I have no pigging idea all I can say is that T has eaten it form about 3 months into dx , at least 3 times per day .

Breakfast

Today's intake was

2 slices of whole meal bread with Pro-active spread

Boiled egg and sun dried tomatoes and a liberal sprinkling of turmeric. that was breakfast . apparently the tomatoes disguise the turmeric taste. 😜

Lunch

Sweet potato and coriander soup with a liberal sprinkle of turmeric , halfway through heating, a good stir and then another sprinkle and finale stir at the end of heating (microwave ) job , soup from a can so no cooking or hard work involved.. πŸ˜…

Dinner

Red , yellow, green peppers diced with red onion and a hot red chillie , ( I did cook this bit)😊 Stir fry Szechwan sauce (blue dragon I didn't cook that bit ) come on give me a breakπŸ˜† . Turmeric added for the last few minutes. Tuna steak lightly cooked and Auntie Veetas jasmine rice, (she isn't actually a family member) just a good friend in Tescos.

Trevor's Aunt Pearl rings every week ( she has Alzheimer's ) and diligently gives me the recipe for fish head soup she is 96 , sad to say every time she rings I write down the ingredients, I have a a stack of note papers ready for when she rings. She knows if I am not actually writing it. She has a strong Jamaican accent and the recipe goes something like this.

You know girrrrrrl , get 5 fish heed make sure eeeyyyys are still in

Onion, garlic, scanion, and lotttts of Turmeic, there is about seventy ingredients and it involves about 5 hours cooking time apparently it is delicious. 😝 Sorry Aunt Pearl but although I tell you that I cook it it won't be on my tee time menu any time soon..

Of course the placebo affect is always on the agenda and I couldn't possibly end this with out adding SI's Foster and steak diet something that i actually eat and would thoroughly recommend and is giving equally brilliant results in the fight against pcaπŸ˜‰.

Guys you pay your money and you takes your choice.

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 08:49

Me of little faith , having done a bit of research etc , has decided to take Turmeric tablets daily from Natures Best. I've always used their company for various supplements. Each tablet apparently contains ten times the equivalent amount of culinary Turmeric found in a curry. So I'm thinking " ten currys a day " !!! Uhmmm

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 10:18

Hi Chris,

You can get Pomi-T tablets on the Internet.

They are designed in UK specifically for PCa patients and have your entire daily need of Pomegranite, Broccoli, Turmeric and Green Tea all wrapped up in a single pill.

Our support group had a doctor come along and recommend them, there is nothing in them other than food concentrates, so they are not actually medicine which can be perscribed, but he described them as the 'best medicine' for PCa patients.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 10:45

I have a girl crush on you Julie x

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 12:13

I'm a fan of turmeric too.
For almost 11 years, every day I've juiced 5 organic carrots, 2 Granny Smith apples, 4 sticks of celery, a lemon, and sometimes a fennel, making approx. a pint of juice.

Before drinking it, I add 6 teaspoons of ground turmeric, 6 of ground cumin, and then grind in a good amount of black peppercorns (which apparently helps the turmeric and cumin work better), and give it all a good stir.

I do believe it has been a major part of my diet regime, and has helped me 'ride my luck' for so long.

George

User
Posted 23 Feb 2016 at 11:32

Has any active surveillance prostate cancer sufferer seen a reduction in PSA by using a particular diet?

Thanks 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 10:04

So here's the info I've found on Turmeric. It's more to do with dosage. I've actually stopped today because of awful stomach pain , nausea so bad by night I haven't been able to eat dinner , face flushing , and feelings of intoxication.
1 curry contains approx. 1g / 1 heaped teaspoon of culinary spice
The recommended dose ( after scouring many sites ) is 1 to 3g of fresh root per day , or 1 to 3g of culinary spice per day.
The problem arises with supplements , and the potency of them. The Natures Best Turmeric I bought was high potency 95% Curcumin , and is 20 times stronger than culinary spice. It is a one-a-day tablet equivalent to TEN GRAMMES of spice. Ten curries.
Could be OK for some but not for me , and is over 3 times the recommended dose.
On searching the web it causes gastrointestinal probs at this dose ( no diahorrea or acid though ) and is known to cause nausea. Also it overloads the liver making it hard to process your normal meds and indeed alcohol. So I'm off it for a while to see if I feel better , and then I may get a pill cutter and half the dose. I'm not at all disputing it's health benefits , but supplements should be looked at carefully
Chris

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 12:37

Hi Chris,

I'm not surprised at what you've experienced.

That was a massive dose you were taking, and that can be the trouble with using supplement pills.

Far better just buying small jars of ground turmeric and ground cumin from any supermarket and adding some teaspoons of each, plus ground black peppercorns, to a juiced fruit and veg drink.

You've highlighted the risk of overdosing with supplements, and many here will take heed,

Thanks for such a good post.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 13:32

That's quite a drink, especially the amount of tumeric and cucumin. Do you drink that in one go or over the day? I'm not sure how my system would cope with this amount.

Thanks. 

User
Posted 02 Dec 2017 at 00:24

I'd be truly grateful if you (or anybody) could point me in the direction of books/articles on diet/supplements as I'm keen to avoid the prescribed surgery or radiation therapy... anything of a dietary/holistic non-invasive nature would be my ideal scenario. I'm being asked to make a decision by Christmas by the urology team but ideally want to try alternatives . PSA currently 7 up from 5.4  a year ago and apparently MRI shows growth in tumour. Not sure what current Gleason is.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2017 at 09:01

Diet can help you to stay well but cannot be a replacement for proper treatment.

Read up on Steve Jobs. A multimillionaire who could have paid for the best treatments in the world, he died of PCa because he thought he could control it with alternative methods

User
Posted 03 Dec 2017 at 01:26

I am not dismissing the fact that certain non medical things may slow the development of some cancers but if in themselves these could halt the advance of PCa, this would undoubtedly be widely promoted and adopted, thereby saving the cash strapped NHS millions of £'s.

Barry