I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA levels rising

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 19:24

Hi.  Last time I posted on here, I think my dad's PSA level had risen from 2 up to 10 and I was starting to get a bit worried as I have read plenty on here about PSA levels doubling.  However, on his last blood test, his PSA has risen to 13.  Am I right in thinking that this is not necessarily anything to worry about.  Dad's GP is thinking that maybe he has an infection and that's why the levels have risen even though he doesn't have any symptoms to indicate him having an infection.    Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2014 at 13:20

Hi

13 seems a level on which you need to take further action and seek a referral - this will include a physical examination etc. I was 11.2 when I discovered I needed treatment but many on the forum will have PSA scores in the hundreds.

Good luck.

Kevin

User
Posted 21 Jul 2014 at 17:11
Hi

What does the oncologist say about it? I don't think this is an issue for the GP to decide about. Our oncologist acted at a lower level than that by adding bicalutimide the when that didn't work added Stillbestrill. This gave john some additional time with reasonable health. It looks like Stillbestrill is failing but we are holding back on further treatment at the moment until we see the next PSA result. This is all planned by the oncology team with our consent. We have been told that the timing is crucial, and want to wait until symptoms get worse but not too much, if you see what I mean.

When is dad's next appointment?

Love Allison

User
Posted 21 Jul 2014 at 18:49

My PSA level has started to climb , it is at 6.8 now and my Onco has requested a full bone and CT scan and bloods for PSA to be taken , when he gets all the results when i see him in 4 weeks time ... he said he might have to review my medication .

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 19:55

Sorry to hear this (or rather read this) -keep on fighting.  El.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2014 at 18:10
Hi. I am sorry to have left it so long to have replied. Plenty has happened since my last post. Dad was referred back to Oncologist so has just undergone more bone scans and CT scans. Results received today showing that PCa has moved back into his spine. Think CT scan was OK but, unfortunately, they still don't ask!! PSA level now up to 26 so treatment has been reviewed. It has been decided that together with his currently implant, Casodex is being added in. Presumably the plan is to get the PSA level right back down and stay down again??

User
Posted 22 Aug 2014 at 20:46
Hi Rachel

Yes that would be the plan. I assume dad is being seen again within three months. We found that Casodex didn't work for us, it's not effective for every man so a check needs to be made on his PSA. He can do this through his GP. Best to keep an eye on it I think.

Love

Allison xx

User
Posted 18 Oct 2014 at 00:22

mine was 4.97 and with other symptoms i read in a magazine i went to the doctors i was examined and found to have a very large but regular shaped prostrate i had biopsies taken and had to wait 5 weeks to be told no cancer 3 month later my psa has gone up to 7.7 should i be worried

User
Posted 19 Oct 2014 at 10:47

Any increase in PSA is worth looking in to.

There are various activities that can cause a temporary ride, a blow to the groin area, riding a bike, having ejaculated within 48 hours of the test, infections and others that I can not recall?

There are ranges for ages where your PSA might rest, but these are not prescriptive, so you may be an exception either way?

At age 56 I had PSA 5.5, which rose to 6.4 in 6 weeks. I was diagnosed, thought to be an aggressive cancer, and had it out. The rate of increase may indicate whether or not you have a pussycat or tiger PCa, if you have it at all, see the various activities that can cause a blip above.

Without further exploration you can not know? IIWM I would see my GP again, and arrange a PSA test, and refrain from any of the activities listed for 48 hours prior to the test.

Good luck.

Dave