Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rubbish Day

User
Posted 15 Jul 2014 at 09:37

Hi Guys 

Im having a rubbish day today. Im really not good with health anxiety and it can really affect my day to day life now and again. 

Recap:

Age 39 

Reduced urine flow (pretty much all the time) 

Back pain, occasional hip / pelvis / kidney pain. Not constant more stabbing. Doesn't stop me getting on with stuff.  

DRE smooth but slightly enlarged

PSA last week 1.5 which GP said was good news (Is it? I have no idea?)

GP has referred me to Urologist and Im assuming its going to be more tests etc. He didn't say reason for referral other than its becuase Im young for these sort of problems

Wondering if anyone can tell me what I might be able to expect with the urologist consult?

Sorry for venting, it just helps me if i write it down sometimes.  

Thanks

Ben 

User
Posted 15 Jul 2014 at 09:59
Hi Ben. Don't apologise for "venting". It's what this site is for.

Can't help much on the what to expect front for your first urological appointment but I'm sure that they'll be somebody along soon to tell you what happened to them.

As far as I remember from my husband's visit (PSA 5.9 at start) it was an examination, including the DRE.

In my husband's case the Urologist knew straight away that the prostate was lumpy.

My husband was then booked in for a biopsy followed by MRI scan.

In my John's case, he had no symptoms so I cannot help you.

Hang in there. Somebody else is bound to be around to offer their experience. I think that first visit is pretty well much the same for everyone.

An enlarged prostate will cause a reduced flow, and a retention of urine. A Urine infection will cause some back pain. Did the GP do a urine test?

Pointless telling you not to worry - you obviously will

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jul 2014 at 10:14
Just a thought Ben.

Have you checked out the information pages on this site. Under Information in the top band. It gives other conditions such as Proctatitis, Enlarged prostate etc.

Also there is the online nurse.

Although you have not had anything definite diagnosed they may be able to reassure you.

They can certainly point you in the direction if what to expect at the first visit if you are really fretting about it.

It may be quicker to do that than wait for a reply here.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails