Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Continence after RT

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 12:16
Hi Guys

After my RT 3 months ago I seem to have takes a backward step as regards my continence, it started with the increased need to urinate after the RT, and now find I need to utilise a pad as I leak especially when lifting etc, is this a side effect of the RT and does it improve over time, as I feel as if I am back to square one. So frustrating.

Cheers

Roy

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 18:11
Wait for more replies Roy but this wasn't an issue for me. But as we know we are all different

Bri

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 10:12
Hi Bri

Thank you for the reply, glad you continue to feel well, and all the best for your next PSA test.

Roy

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 19:56

Hi Roy,

Read this link

http://healthcare.utah.edu/menshealth/conditions/radiation-treatment.php

I now use about 6/8 pads a day and I also have stricture

Barry

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 21:03
Hi Barry

Thanks for the link, I noticed you say that, you use 6/8 pads a day, is there nothing they can do to improve your situation, as this makes me put my own worries into context.

Thanks

Roy

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 21:04
Hi Roy,

I see you had your RP 9th May 2013, a week after I had mine. In that sense we are close, but surgery affects everyone differently with differing impact and recovery. No matter, I will tell you how I am doing "continence wise" and hope that this may help you either in making your expectations more realistic or realising that sometimes you go forward 2 steps to take 3 back a week later. Nothing in your story is unusual. I recounted full details of my, to use a Terry Wogan quote "JOURNEY" on my story on this site, but I did tend to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. I know you will find that hard to believe!

Control seemed to depend on PF exercises, but I find that these had little affect on me and progress. Except for making me very tired with hundreds of reps every day, normally when driving.

Control crept up slowly and with out dramatic effect, and without me knowing it really. Just sometimes I would think, hang on it's 5 o'clock and I have not had a leak, and I was leaking around 5pm daily as that seemed to be when I got tired and lost a bit of control. Other times I would leak are if I tripped up or moved suddenly. Or lifting a heavy object. Going to the gym, I would wear a pad even though I was pad free during the days and nights. The treadmill was worst. So I don't do so much of that now. Rowing machine is mush the same. Now, sit ups? Can be done, but I have to keep my knees together and tense my stomach muscles to ensure no leaking.

As progrès came up I did go from 4 level 2 pads a day, 8am tip about 6pm. In the evenings I would "bag up", out a leg bag on for the evening and overnight, to give me and my muscles some rest.

4 level 2 pads went down to 3 level 2 pads a day, and then eventually down to 2 and then 1, and then level 1 pads. Suddenly, and without fully realising it I noticed that I was changing pads less frequently. And then one pad would last all day and then, that one a pad would be dry at the end of the day.

Change for the positive is great, change back is not so great, but if you can change forward then you can and will probably change forward again to make progress. Don't beat yourself up about it mate.

Despite seriously coincidentally identical plumbing, all of us seem to repair and heal at varying rates. You will find your own rate, just be patient and go with that rate.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 21:53

Hi Roy,

I was referred to the RM for a second opinion, but only for the stricture that was Dec 10th they said they would send for my papers from my previous hospital [Broomfield] that was Dec 10th 2013 still have not heard a thing and to tell the truth i am now very depressed about the whole thing.

for the stricture they talked about a urethaplasty which is skin taken from the inside of the cheek and slice the penis down the middle,and remove the scar tissue and replace it with skin from your cheek, 60% sucees rate , not good

Incontinence ,

I have seen Docters, nurses and it looks like I am stuck with this,

quality of life is now sh*t

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 22:00

Hi Roy,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering.

But, at least you are alive. I was quite clear at my pre op that my priority was life, even if i was pooing and peeing in my pants uncontrollably, I would be happy it I was around to complain about it. Next if I had to be incontinent let me be peeing and not pooing everywhere. If at all possible, no eyeing (peeing) and no poking (pooing), and some EF back PLEASE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

I hope that you get some improvement.]

ATB

Dave

Edited by member 24 Jul 2014 at 06:49  | Reason: Not specified