I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stiff legs?

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 17:24
Hi could anyone tell me if it's normal to have such stiff legs and aching legs whilst

On chemo my husband is half way through his 10 lots and it's this problem that's causing the grief,

He's on day five today and it's a struggle to put one leg in front of the other,

Any advice please

Sue.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 17:40

Hi Sue,

I had twitching legs quite uncomfortable at night but not stiff legs, you can talk to the nurses on the site till 6pm

Sorry cant be anymore help

Good luck with the next 5

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 17:49
Hi Sue, a good idea of Si's to talk to the nurses's helpline, or have you an out of hours number to call the hospital on? Always a good idea just to get these issues checked out. Take care, Janet
User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 18:10
Sue your Husband should have been given a chemotherapy record booklet, in that there will be a section that lists various symptoms and arranges them in a green, amber, red status depending on severity and things. It should also give you a number to call any time day or night to talk with someone from the oncology/chemo unit. You need to be quite speciic when you talk to them and also to explain that the problem is getting gradually worse. They should be able to reassure you or they may think it can be left until the next cycle of chemo to look at or they may even want you to do something now to have it checked out.

Either way it cannot do any harm to ring and ask.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 19:26
Hi thanks for replys,

We had them looked at and told the oncologist last Tuesday at the routine check

It seems it's combination of chemo and steriods , it's just so frustrating for him as he's trying to progress,

I'm just wondering if this will ease once treatment is done and if anyone had similar issues

Whilst on chemo ? Kind regards .sue

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 11:38

Neil had problems with his legs whilst on chemo, aching, stiffness, etc. You dont give details in your profile but in our case, we had a very efficient onco who ordered an urgent MRI to rule out spinal cord compression as we knew Neil had the disease in the bones. Turns out there were signs of SCC and he is on radiotherapy to zap the offending mets. It's always worth bearing these things in mind and I am glad I raised this possibility with the onco as you cant assume anything. Dont want to scare you but it is so worth being aware of all these possibilities ! Wishing you all the best, Neil is coming up to 4th chemo though things currently on hold as the SCC takes precedence,

Fiona.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 14:09
Hi Fiona thanks for reply ,my husband ray has suffered scc if you read my post under doxetel

I know I've spelt it wrong I've posted what happened to us but he's making great progress and it's

His legs what is causing the grief when everyday he wants to progress that bit more,but we gave

To keep telling ourselves how well he's done so far .we are just hoping theses side effects will subside once the chemo is done.

Sue.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 14:15
Hi Fiona did you notice the difference straight away with the aching and stiffness in the legs once

You put the chemo on hold? Sue.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 14:59
Sue

never rule out a problem even if it has happened once before. Spinal cord compression can cause the weakness and inablity to move. If Ray is having problems getting in and out of a chair where he has to lift his own weight onto his legs it would be a possible sign. If he just feels achey and stiff t is possiby chemo. If you are at all worried mention it to your Onco again and ask for another scan.

Unfortunately Docotaxel has a lot of side effects some Men sail through 10 sessions with no problems others have a lot of issues along the way. If Ray is also on HT this can also cause muscle weakness and aches and sometimes gets worse whilst on chemo.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 16:05

Hi Sue,

Neil had weakness and backache pre-dating chemo. Very possible indicator the disease was going castrate resistant. Only when I paid for a second opinion the seriousness of his symptoms and scans were confirmed. His legs have got progressively weaker, and his walking is slow, but as Mo says, you dont know whether its the chemo, the HT or the disease making its presence felt or a bit of everything.

Thats why I'm now a stickler for pushing medics to investigate symptoms, you just cant assume anything with this damn disease. To give an example, our first onco accepted Neil telling him the backache was either postural or to do with the uteric stents he had had inserted and just assumed because his PSA was low, Neil was ok. Neil should have had repeat scans in January instead of his word just being take as what was happening was the correct interpretation, it wasn't !! Thats the beauty of this forum, hopefully by us pooling our experiences, it will alert people and maybe save some unnecessary grief !

Regards, Fiona.