I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What should I be asking

User
Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 20:22
Hi, Dad is seeing the onco on wed, for ct results, he has lymph and bone mets on zoladex and zometa As part of stampede trial. is only just becoming symptomatic with bone pain and Psa is rising - from 2.2 to 8.9 over 12 weeks, what treatments do you think are to be offered?? Or what should I be asking for??

Kind regards..x
User
Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 20:39
My husband was put on bicalutamide (casodex) and then onto Chemo.
Max
"You can only play the hand you're dealt"
User
Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 20:57
I think I would just go along to the appointment and wait to hear what the onco thinks. You could check that dad is at or below castrate level, this indicates whether he is hormone refractory (the cancer has learnt how to survive without testosterone) or whether the HT he is on is not knocking the testosterone back successfully. Next steps usually vary depending on the above.

You could also ask whether there is anything that can be offered for the bone pain - a short zap of RT might be an option but depends on whether he has had RT before, where the bone mets are, etc.

Do you know exactly where the bone mets are sited? If he has spinal mets you might want to talk through with the doctor the symptoms of spinal cord compression .... it is rare but best to know what you are looking for and what to do if dad shows any signs. If they have never discussed with you where the mets are, maybe now is the time to ask for details, especially with new scan results.

I hope it goes well on Wednesday
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 21:18
Thanks..x his mets are lumbar spine and sternum, he has already had Rt at diagnosis, pre bone mets, it was only lymph spread then. I think it's best to go with the flow and see what the onco says, - can't help looking at treatments and drugs as I naturally want the best course of action.
Thanks for taking the time to reply...x x
User
Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 23:12
Hi Jo
We chatted through a treatment plan with our Onco, which went like this (we had already had Casodex and it failed). They are monitoring the PSA, and did scans to see what was happening! bone and MRI, at some point in the next few weeks we will either be started on chemo or be offered Abiraterone. It depended on PSA numbers and speed of climb versus progression according to the scans.

As it happened the cancer is progressing and the PSA is climbing but we got a three month stay and will now be having that conversation on Monday. We fully expected three months ago that treatment would change and it didn't. Maybe we will get the same result this time. We do trust their judgement, the view is that timing is very important and delaying the next treatment (but not too long) will extend John's life.

The important thing for us was that a plan was in place and we felt that ten once was on the case. Good luck with your visit, please let us know what they decide to do.

Lots of love
Allison xx
User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 08:02
Just read your bio Allison, seems your hubby has been doing reasonably well?? I find it all so confusing as there are so many drugs and treatment routes that people seem to take, I do trust our oncologist but I can't bear the feelings that this b*****d disease brings, I hate the waiting game and not knowing what the treatment plan is. Will be sure to update,

Thanks...xx
User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 09:20
Hi Jo
I totally know that feeling. Yes John is doing really well now and we have learnt to just enjoy that's and not look too far forward. For a man with a Gleason 10, it's really remarkable how well he is.

Lots of love
Allison xxx