I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex v prostap??

User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 16:42
Dads been to see practice nurse today for his zoladex - was told he should of received a letter as he will now be receiving prostap - Dad got the impression that it was cost saving! We are seeing the onco tomorrow for scan results and plan re mets pain and Psa rise, so I feel that although zoladex is now failing is there any benefit of changing to prostap?? Any advice ??
User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 19:42
From what I have been told - Prostap is the latest drug and easier to administer (smaller needle) it is also expensive, so not sure why the change but worth asking tomorrow.

All the best.

Alison x

User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 20:26

Zoladex and Prostap are different drugs but work the same way i.e. to lower testosterone. The cost is similar for both although Prostap can be easier to administer. The drugs themselves do not directly fight the cancer - it's their action in creating a castrate level of testosterone that "starves" the PCa of the fuel it needs. Occasionally these drugs (known as LHRH analogues) do not do a 100% job and some testosterone remains. It is always a good idea to ascertain your testosterone level before concluding that whatever LHRH you are on has failed. Anything over 1.0 nMol/l is not really good enough and preferably lower. I struggled to get own testosterone down and it was only the addition of a steroid, Dexamethasone, that did it for me. The adrenal glands produce as much as 5 to 10% of body testosterone and are mainly unaffected by Zoladex or Prostap but low dose (0.5 to 2.0 mg) Dexamethasone can correct this. Other standard treatments are to add in 50mg of Casodex to "mop up" (hide) any remaining low levels of testosterone. Get the level tested - it's like driving a car with no speedo otherwise! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Edited by member 12 Aug 2014 at 20:31  | Reason: Not specified

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 11:39
In my neck of the woods,, many years ago, Prostap was being but forward as a lower cost (a good sales point of course). That theme seems to have stuck however untrue today.

Good luck

Ray