I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiraterone post chemo

User
Posted 15 Aug 2014 at 15:30

After the news hit this morning I am extremely worried that my husband, who has been on Abiraterone before chemo for 7 months through the Cancer Drug Fund, will now have his medication stopped.  Can anyone shed any light for me? 

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 17:33
Is he on a trial? My husband Pete has been given Abiraterone for the last few weeks, after the Casodex didn't work. He seems to be doing OK on it, but I don't think he would have been given it, if he hadn't been on the Stampede trial. He hasn't had chemo. yet, but we're not worrying. I don't think our oncologist would have prescribed it, if he hadn't had access to the Cancer Drug Fund through the trial.

Best Wishes, Jenny

User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 09:07
No he's not on the trial but the hospital did get Abiraterone through the Cancer Drug Fund.
User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 11:29

From our Campaigns Manager Alexis Wieroniey:

---

I’m very sorry that this announcement has worried you. This new decision will not affect your husband’s treatment. NICE were looking at whether they would fund abiraterone before chemotherapy on the NHS in England and Wales rather than paying for it through the Cancer Drugs Fund. Although NICE has not approved it for regular use, the CDF will continue to fund it. Although this will not affect men who currently receive it through the CDF, we want abiraterone to have full NICE approval so men in England and Wales have guaranteed access now and in the future.

User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 15:03

Thank you for putting my mind at rest - what a relief!