Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RT well under way

User
Posted 16 Aug 2014 at 19:11

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 10th session of RT completed yesterday 15/08/2014, 27 to go and so far no side effects or issues, treatment is a breeze so far.

Third Zoladex injection Tuesday 12/08/2014, only side effect since starting HT in Feb 2014 was hot flushes which started about six weeks in but are now subsiding and almost gone which is great, no other effects from HT apart from the drop in PSA from 59 to 1.4 just two weeks before I started on RT.

Good luck & best wishes to ALL who are fighting cancer.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 21:31

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the nice comments.

So far no delays or breakdowns, hope it continues in that vane, fingers crossed.

I haven't been affected by tiredness or side effects at all Steve, but still early days time will tell.

Good luck on your journey Steve and best wishes.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 23 Aug 2014 at 08:46
Hi Gerry,

Pleased things are going so well.

I completed mine in December 2011 and had little trouble during and after.

Fatigue was an issue but I was self-employed at the time and managed to have a short mid afternoon nap.

I'm sure you'll sail through the rest of the sessions.

Please keep us posted.

Take care

Dave C

User
Posted 07 Sep 2014 at 16:32

Well done Gerry,I am so pleased for you

All the best

Chris

User
Posted 17 Sep 2014 at 22:25

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 33rd session of RT completed today 17/09/2014, 4 to go (nearly there whooopee!) still no side effects or issues, treatment has been excellent all the way through. The last 7 weeks have absolutely flown past, just 6 days until treatment ends and I have my freedom back.

Regards,

Gerry

Good luck & best wishes to ALL who are fighting or affected by cancer.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Aug 2014 at 23:49
Nice one Gerry. Here's hoping the next 27 go smoothly

Bri

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 19:35

Thanks Bri,

Week three kicks off tomorrow, it gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing those wee c cells are being blasted to hell.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 15:23
Hi Gerry,

Great news everthing is going so well.

Have you had any problems with delays or breakdowns? When I start my rt (October ?), I'm hoping that I will be able to work the rest of the day after the treatment. Have you been affected by tiredness at all?

Hope everything continues to go well. Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 21:31

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the nice comments.

So far no delays or breakdowns, hope it continues in that vane, fingers crossed.

I haven't been affected by tiredness or side effects at all Steve, but still early days time will tell.

Good luck on your journey Steve and best wishes.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 22 Aug 2014 at 22:28

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 15th session of RT completed today 22/08/2014, 22 to go and so far no side effects or issues, treatment is a breeze so far.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 23 Aug 2014 at 08:46
Hi Gerry,

Pleased things are going so well.

I completed mine in December 2011 and had little trouble during and after.

Fatigue was an issue but I was self-employed at the time and managed to have a short mid afternoon nap.

I'm sure you'll sail through the rest of the sessions.

Please keep us posted.

Take care

Dave C

User
Posted 24 Aug 2014 at 15:01

Hi Steve, I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy starting in October last year.  During the treatment most of my tiredness came from the early start (the hospital transport picked me up at around 7am each day). Sometimes it seemed like a long time waiting at the hospital, but North Middx where I went were very good.  I had some soreness and they recommended aqueous cream which helped. Once I completed the treatment tiredness did kick in but I tried to exercise/take a walk most days and this helped.  Arthur 

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 23:28

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 17th session of RT completed today 26/08/2014, 20 to go and so far no side effects or issues, treatment is a breeze so far. Almost half way through, it is going in quite fast.

First grandson born today he is a wee cracker, we are all over the moon with the new addition to the family, this is life at its best.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 00:41
Awww, how lovely to get such a boost almost bang in the middle of your treatment. Congratulations :-)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 12:45

Hi Gerry,

Really good news about your grandson.  Congratulations!

My radiotherapy is due to start in October and guess what, my eldest daughter is due to give birth to our first grandchild in October as well!  So I will be in the same position as you too.  What a wonderful time, in spite of other things going on.

Hope everything continues to go well for you.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 00:45

Thanks for the congrats Lyn and Steve.

Got to agree with you Steve it is a wonderful time, I have had a really good year and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

The first addition to the family this year was my second granddaughter (first granddaughter is 9 years old now) in February who is now six months old she is absolutely gorgeous and a bundle of fun.

In May we had the second addition to the family in the form of a wee White West Highland Terrier puppy he is absolutely fantastic and great fun.

The third addition was my first grandson as I said, so it really has been a special year all round for my whole family.

As I was diagnosed with PC in December last year, it means there have really been no negatives this year and long may it continue.

The HT treatment (Zoladex) I am on has brought my PSA down from 59 to 1.4 at last test in July, and my RT is going well and finishes at the end of September, two months later I will get a PSA test to see how well the RT has worked. If I get good news from that it will be a fantastic end to a fantastic year and I will be really looking forward to the Christmas holiday period and the New Year.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 20:02

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 20th session of RT completed today 29/08/2014, 17 to go and so far no side effects or issues, treatment is a breeze so far.

My treatment is over 7 1/2 weeks and that's four weeks gone already, well over half way now and it has absolutely flown in.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 19:08

Hi Gerry,

Great to read your positive posts. They've been a help to a 'new boy' here.

I'm trying to decide weather to go for it (RT) or not. A year ago scans showed mets in my spine but after a year on hormones - much to my Consultant's surprise, and my delight - a new scan has revealed that they are now "all but gone and if it wasn't for my previous history on file might even be regarded as just 'wear and tear' do to age" Great news at it now means Consultant feels it is worth trying to cure the disease rather than just long term manage.

It's a hard choice though because, with the hormones I'm pretty much ok and unaffected day to day 9bit of tiredness, hot flushes but that's it. Whereas I'll be honest, the potential side effects of RT have frightened me a tad. I don't mind what I go through during treatment if it wears off. it's the longer term problems that may crop up further down the line that I worry about - even though I know that the chances are low.

I'm probably being daft as the chance of a complete cure as opposed to long term 'management' (which will ultimately start to fail) has to be grabbed. Right?

Any  thoughts appreciated!

And thanks again for your posts

User
Posted 05 Sep 2014 at 19:36

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 25th session of RT completed today 05/09/2014, 12 to go and so far no side effects or issues.

Family party being planned in celebration of completion of treatment, I love big family gatherings with all my children and grand kids there, can't wait I'm sure it will be a day to remember.

Regards,

Gerry

Good luck & best wishes to ALL who are fighting or affected by cancer.. 

User
Posted 07 Sep 2014 at 16:32

Well done Gerry,I am so pleased for you

All the best

Chris

User
Posted 12 Sep 2014 at 20:31

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 30th session of RT completed today 12/09/2014, 7 to go (into single figures whooopee!) still no side effects or issues, treatment has been excellent all the way through. The last 6 weeks have absolutely flown past, just 11 days until treatment ends.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 12 Sep 2014 at 21:45

Thank you Gary, this is helpful for all of those awaiting their radiotherapy to start and are understandably anxious.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2014 at 22:25

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 33rd session of RT completed today 17/09/2014, 4 to go (nearly there whooopee!) still no side effects or issues, treatment has been excellent all the way through. The last 7 weeks have absolutely flown past, just 6 days until treatment ends and I have my freedom back.

Regards,

Gerry