I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

androgen independant low psa

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 17:00

I understand advanced Pca diagnosed  with a low psa say under 10 is difficult to treat,does anyone know if theres any treatment

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 22:40

Difficult one - I would want to see an MRI and bone scan to establish spread (if any). Possible small cell involvement which would point to immediate Chemo (although latest research indicates that this should be standard if metastatic spread found). Both Docetaxel and Cabazitaxel may benefit here -  a serious discussion with the oncologist is required http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 23:21
Hi, I am a bit puzzled as you say on your profile that you have a benign condition .... are you asking about advanced PCa because you are concerned about someone else or are you worried that your own diagnosis could be wrong? If you are concerned for your own health, are you assuming that you might be androgen independent simply due to low PSA? If you could tell us a little more it will help us to help you.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 13:06
Thank you for the extra information. I think you may have overdone the googling though, and confused what you have read about diagnosis of low PSA producing cancers and those which have become androgen independent after a period of hormone treatment.

There are I think 27 different types of prostate cancer, only a handful of these do not produce much PSA even at an advanced stage. Allister mentioned small cell carcinoma which is unusual because it doesn't respond to hormone treatment and there are types where the PSA goes up as normal until the very late stages when it inexplicably drops very low.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to think any of these circumstances apply to you at present. The cause of your backache is more than likely to be as a result of having an enlarged prostate. I assume you have been prescribed some tablets to reduce your prostate size? If you have had biopsies and scans which have come back negative for cancer, and that has not reassured you, then you should really ask your urologist whether you could have a more detailed biopsy under general anaesthetic.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 22:23

Do you have any more details of the diagnosis?

I am sure someone will be able to advise and expect that there will be treatments to try.

Edited by member 17 Aug 2014 at 22:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 22:40

Difficult one - I would want to see an MRI and bone scan to establish spread (if any). Possible small cell involvement which would point to immediate Chemo (although latest research indicates that this should be standard if metastatic spread found). Both Docetaxel and Cabazitaxel may benefit here -  a serious discussion with the oncologist is required http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 23:21
Hi, I am a bit puzzled as you say on your profile that you have a benign condition .... are you asking about advanced PCa because you are concerned about someone else or are you worried that your own diagnosis could be wrong? If you are concerned for your own health, are you assuming that you might be androgen independent simply due to low PSA? If you could tell us a little more it will help us to help you.

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 09:24

thanks I have been diagnosed with Enlarged prostate but im concerned its wrong  as I have worsening back pains which are dismissed as  my psa remains low tho rising

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 09:52

You probably know that Low PSA does not mean that you are cancer free.

I would insist on a biopsy or scans.(Make a nuisance of yourself if you have to!)

Low PSA can be overlooked and the sooner you catch it the better.

My OH had PSA 3.6 at diagnosis.

Alison x

Edited by member 18 Aug 2014 at 09:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 13:06
Thank you for the extra information. I think you may have overdone the googling though, and confused what you have read about diagnosis of low PSA producing cancers and those which have become androgen independent after a period of hormone treatment.

There are I think 27 different types of prostate cancer, only a handful of these do not produce much PSA even at an advanced stage. Allister mentioned small cell carcinoma which is unusual because it doesn't respond to hormone treatment and there are types where the PSA goes up as normal until the very late stages when it inexplicably drops very low.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to think any of these circumstances apply to you at present. The cause of your backache is more than likely to be as a result of having an enlarged prostate. I assume you have been prescribed some tablets to reduce your prostate size? If you have had biopsies and scans which have come back negative for cancer, and that has not reassured you, then you should really ask your urologist whether you could have a more detailed biopsy under general anaesthetic.

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 13:17

thank you Lyn for such a dtailed reply,im taking Finasteride and Tamsulosin,i have thought of stopping taking them to see if back/side pain improves as I  now take cocodamol daily,i had minor backpain before started these meds 6weeks ago,i am aware that andro indy does eventually happen after h/t