Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slow site response and Internet Explorer issues

User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 10:36

Hi all --

We're very sorry that the site is responding slowly or not at all for some users yesterday and today. We're aware of the problem and our developers are tackling it as a priority this morning. 

Best,

Sadie

Edited by member 13 Oct 2015 at 14:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 10:36

Hi all --

We're very sorry that the site is responding slowly or not at all for some users yesterday and today. We're aware of the problem and our developers are tackling it as a priority this morning. 

Best,

Sadie

Edited by member 13 Oct 2015 at 14:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 21:31
Same here asked to login every visit off putting.

Carol

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 13:37
Thanks for the info Sadie...

I'm on Chrome, but still had problems.....

User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 16:40

I'm on Firefox and it works really fast http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 20:12
I now get asked to login every time I visit
Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 20:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I now get asked to login every time I visit

Same here, despite setting to be permanently logged in.

In the big scheme of things, irritating, not soul destroying.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 21:31
Same here asked to login every visit off putting.

Carol

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 09:44
Just to add my experience to the mix, I'm also having to log in per visit now.

Browsers are Safari on iPad and Chrome on Win 8.1

Kevin

User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 00:46
Sadie, I suddenly can't get the search function to work at all - is it linked to the same glitch?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 10:39
For the past two days I have had trouble getting to conversations page. I can get into the site but (up until just now when it finally worked) when I try to get into conversations I get "404 error message" coming up. This is using IE. If I use Chrome I can read some conversations but the users names are not given and there is no picture. I have also just discovered that I cannot use the return key on thee keyboard to get to another line, although it appears to be working by dropping to the next line of text.
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 10:41
There is also no "Edit" button as I've just discovered when I tied to correct the above post
User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 14:20
I sent the text which follows as an email to Sadie earlier today when I couldn't access this thread.

EMAIL:

Sadie

I intended to post this on http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10026-Slow-site-response-and-Internet-Explorer-issues - but I cannot get into it as explained below. I will post it on that thread at a later date. Meanwhile this sets out some of the problems which are affecting me.

I have had trouble logging in since Friday 23 August. Sometimes I get in as an existing member but other times I have to enter my user name and password. This can happen on the same day. This has continued from 23/8/14 and is continuing today ... 27/8/14.

When I eventually get into the system the message “Since last visit...” , for example, reads, "Since your last visit on [date] there have been [8] new posts 0 new members and [2] new conversations" But sometimes there is not a list of new posts so I have to trawl through the conversations to find new stuff - which I don't do except for Diagnosis, Treatment and Personal stories. Other times, for example, when it says there have been 5 new posts I can see only 3 and these may not open due to the 404 message.

Tuesday, 26.8.14. When trying to access postings today I was presented with the following:

“404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.”

This was particularly the case when trying to access postings under “Social” and “Personal stories” but also applied to other topics. This is continuing today - 5 new posts were shown for me this am. But only 3 where listed when I got in but I couldn’t open them because of the 404 Error mentioned.

Postings “by Peter Green” come up without a title so they untraceable unless you go via Peter’s profile.

I think there are comments from my earlier posts which may be outstanding. If I get time I may come back to you about those.

Problems have been put down to the individual’s browser. I have a new computer with new browsers for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome installed - still cannot get in using Explorer. I have to wonder whether your new system is too sensitive and the browsers are OK?

Like many others when faced with these types of situations after nearly 4 months since the new system was introduced I don’t have the time to spend on trying to understand what is going on. I am doing other things and so this has to be a short note.

I have copied this to Carol Jones in case you are out of the office.

Regards

Alan

User
Posted 27 Aug 2014 at 14:40

Thanks Alan. 

I believe that all of the issues you've just referred to, our developer team is aware of and currently working on.

They've found a workaround for IE users to be able to sign in while they find a permanent fix, and that will be noted on the sign-in page with instructions for IE users.

The 404 errors on conversation pages have been fixed now. Developers are working on fixing the search issue.

The few conversations with blank titles are also something they're working to fix. 

The frequent logouts people have been experiencing are related to the work the developers are doing -- every time they push a change to the live site, it resets the sessions and folks will have to log in again. It's not a permanent thing. 

In the meantime, we have fixed the All Topics list, which now works as expected, with subtopics dropping down below when you click the topics. The list of topic areas is now visible right from the Community home page, just as it was on the old forum, so people should find it easier to get around now. If you'd like, you can also customise which modules appear on your homepage by going to My Account -> Edit Profile and ticking or unticking the relevant boxes.

Thank you very much for your patience as we fix these bugs and also make improvements.

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 08:34

Hi Sadie 

Thanks for your reply above and also for your email. Just a point about browsers. I gave up on IE some a considerable time back. As mentioned earlier my new computer has IE, Firefox and Chrome. I now never use IE which still does not get me in. I stick with Chrome but since last Friday my problems about logging in have continued when using Chrome - as they are today. 

When I went in this am. I had to use user name and password. The message "No new posts since last time" appeared. I checked under "Recent conversation" and this showed 9 recent posts. since last evening.

Alan 

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 08:38
Hi Sadie I tried to go in to tidy up my last paragraph above ... I have now lost the "Edit" facility .Alan
User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 09:10

Morning all,

Aah, a result already, my return button works here again.  Joy!

Was logged in early this am and had to log in again.

Also I am using an Apple Mac Air, Safari OS I believe?

Atyb

Dave

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 09:13
can not edit my post to correct a spelling error.

My options are reply, quote, thank, report.

Can not report the post using the report option, error 404 reported.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 09:23
I've just tried to use the quote button for Countryboy above. Just to say "Ditto" really but what I got was "Access Denied". Also appear to have lost the ability to type on the line underneath, just as it has been all week.
User
Posted 09 Oct 2014 at 11:31

Sadie

There are still issues I believe with compatibiity of browsers. I just tried to reply to you to a private message you sent me. I was using IE 11. Having typed a long email to you the send button was unresponsive. I switched to Chrome and had no problem. I then switched back to IE11 and treid to refresh the page and the site to browser communication hung. Back to Chrome, no issue. I ended up replying to you with a shorter email through Chrome - my lovely long email response lost.

Eddie

Living life to the full, there is always someone worse of than yourself. Smile and get on with it.
User
Posted 09 Oct 2014 at 13:44

Thank you! I'll get this logged with our developers right now.

User
Posted 09 Oct 2014 at 20:26
Not had many issues with the site but I now copy the text before I hit the post button, then if it gets lost you can start again and paste it back into the post or message . saves a lot of retyping.

Thank Chris

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 17:05

The hit & miss sequence seems to be back. Log in & read a few threads - then it all just seizes up. Unable to sign out or do anything.

Usually starts to be seen by the avatars not loading properly.

p.s. worked o.k. this afternoon though.....

Edited by member 02 Dec 2014 at 17:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 18:16

Site remains unusable for more than 5 mins at a time. I'm fed up with losing text when I try to add replies.

OC in Northants

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 20:18

I've hit a weird issue, when using chrome I can get to the prostatecanceruk.org part of the site but it times out on community.prostatecanceruk.org.
Only on one machine and only on chrome. IE works ok.
I've dome the usual, cleared caches, historys etc.
Running a ping resolves ok, using a different browser on the same machine is ok. Weird!
Chrome works on a different machine. So it very specific.

It's got to be something on my chrome set up I guess but I've yet to find it.... :)

Kevin

User
Posted 03 Dec 2014 at 08:40

Thanks for letting us know! I've reported this to our developers so they can fix it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, several people have said that clearing their cache solves the problem for them. You can find instructions for clearing your cache for most browsers at http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/ – doing this may make the site work for you. 

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 06 Dec 2014 at 19:16

Thanks Sadie,

But that didn't work any better for me.

Earlier today, it just wouldn't load any threads at all.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:20

When you next experience this issue would you please email onlinecommunity@prostatecanceruk.org with the exact time it happened, what page(s) it happened on, what browser you're using, and any other information about the problem? This was our developers can investigate more deeply and see if it's a server slowdown causing the problems or something separate from the site.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 13:12

Hi Sadie
I've logged in OK this morning on both IE and Chrome and I can view all conversations shown except Steve's "I just don't believe it"
For that I keep getting a "404 error message"

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 18:40

Noticed that when clicking on a Profile, a conversation comes up instead. Or nothing. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

User
Posted 15 Dec 2014 at 10:34

Hi Rob, all the profiles look like they're going to the right place when I click them. Can you tell me which thread you are on when this happens, where you click and whose profile link is going to the wrong place?

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 15 Dec 2014 at 19:37

Hi Sadie,

It was on this thread ( time as my previous post & still the same now ).

Most of the Profiles on this thread produce the same problem. Today it just flashes the profile momentarily & then goes black & blank.

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10329-prostectomy-or-HT-RT#post123646

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 08:54

Thanks Rob. I've reproduced the issue in IE8 and reported it to the developers to fix. What browser and version are you using?

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 18:14

That was on google IE 8.1

Chrome browser just doesn't accept password so can't comment there.

Still seizes up for me at times. I think it is still the avatar loading that gums it up.