I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

4 days post laparoscopic prostatectomy

User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 13:07

I was diagnosied in march this year with prostate cancer, I am not all that up to speed with all of the technical terms but my gleeson was 3+4 = 7 and two out of 10 biopsy cores were positive. I went for both bone and MRI scans, these indicated no spread outside the prostate. I then had various options ranging from active surveillance through to full surgery. In my case and despite my absolute morbid fear of hospitals, it was a no brainer I chose surgery.

So we came to the "big day" last Tuesday, my operation was done by Professor (edited by Moderator) at Edinburgh's Western General. The entire team were absolutely wonderful and despite my terror I came through in one piece, although obviously a small part of me was gone. My tummy area was fairly tender and the catheter is a minor inconvenience, but all in all I am good. I was able to go home on the Thursday complete with my supply of painkillers and bags. And a bit proud of myself that I coped reasonably well. I have my cystogram and TWOC next week and fairly soon after that should get the pathology results.

I have been pretty active, walk in the morning and evening and rest in between. I realise that this is very personal to the individual concerned but I can't stress enough how terrified I was before and how relieved I am now. In my opinion I have given myself the best possible chance of staying cancer free (touch wood)

Edited by member 25 Aug 2014 at 19:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 19:05
Take it slowly for the next few weeks - no lifting, and when you have your catheter out, next week I presume, ensure you are prepared for major leakages to save embarrassment on your journey home. You may be one of the lucky ones who stay dry, but they are in the minority.

You will also need to edit your thread as forum rules prevent naming of medical personnel.

Good luck in your recovery.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 21:25
Hi there,

I had mine in the 15th so just a few days ahead of you.

Glad everything going ok. Mine too. Catheter should be out on Friday this week & I'll be glad to move into the next phase of recovery.

Best wishes

Carlos.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 00:29

Hi There,

I have mine on Sept 10th and have been very nervous about it but reading your comments make me feel much much better and more confident

I am not looking forward to the catheter though. .thanks for bucking me up

Raymond

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 07:52
Having experienced a catheter the size of a hosepipe after my TURP operation, the little one after the LRP was a walk in the park!
Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 19:05
Take it slowly for the next few weeks - no lifting, and when you have your catheter out, next week I presume, ensure you are prepared for major leakages to save embarrassment on your journey home. You may be one of the lucky ones who stay dry, but they are in the minority.

You will also need to edit your thread as forum rules prevent naming of medical personnel.

Good luck in your recovery.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 21:25
Hi there,

I had mine in the 15th so just a few days ahead of you.

Glad everything going ok. Mine too. Catheter should be out on Friday this week & I'll be glad to move into the next phase of recovery.

Best wishes

Carlos.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 00:29

Hi There,

I have mine on Sept 10th and have been very nervous about it but reading your comments make me feel much much better and more confident

I am not looking forward to the catheter though. .thanks for bucking me up

Raymond

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 07:52
Having experienced a catheter the size of a hosepipe after my TURP operation, the little one after the LRP was a walk in the park!
Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 13:17

Got a call this morning, my cystogram and TWOC is now on Friday morning so like you I will be moving to the next stage

User
Posted 26 Aug 2014 at 13:24

Raymond,

I was a little concerned about the catheter, amongst other things. To be honest it did take me a couple of days to get used to it. The sensation of having it in place is quite strange as is the feeling of needing to pee but not quite knowing how to go about it. It is now a week since my op and I feel pretty good, still a bit tender but the discomfort eases a little more each day. I feel very relaxed in myself and am beginning to "enjoy" my recovery. Short walks each day are good and we have been fortunate with our weather in the last week. I think the key is not to tryand do too much too soon

Jim

User
Posted 06 Sep 2014 at 12:27
My husband Paul had his op on the 28th August so you both are on par with each other. His catheter is coming out next Tuesday and he has coped remarkably well with it. He had his staples out yesterday and feels so much better now these have gone.

The whole episode has been better than he thought it would be, the only thing I have noticed is that he gets tired after lunch so he goes to bed and sleeps for over an hour. I keep telling him it's early days as he's only 10 days post op.

We have appointment on the 12th October to see the consultant, not sure if his PSA will be taken then though.

Are you still wearing the stockings? Nobody has told us how long he has to wear them, I'm injection him nightly with the Heprin , have to do this for one month.

So pleased you are doing well too.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2014 at 12:58
I'm 3 weeks post op & was told I have to wear the stockings for 6 weeks. I'm injecting for 28 days too.

I felt great when the catheter was out & thought I'd get back to normal life. I did way too much for the first couple of days, including running 6 miles & dragging my 2ton caravan away for a bit of a hols. It caught up on me.

I'm back to giving my body the rest it needs now. Tiny steps forward I think & be firm with Paul.

Good luck:-)

User
Posted 07 Sep 2014 at 07:27

Hi to those who have just had the surgery. I once had a Catheter in for over 4 weeks due to a abdominal Abscess caused by my undergoing a Vasectomy that went wrong.  It was 4 inches in diameter, That's another story.. So the best advice apparently after removal of your 'WALNUT' is to do your pelvis floor exercises. Yep its not just for women. Also try the stop start flow exercise to strengthen the water valve.   keep raising awareness to you mates and brother siblings. My older brother has his removed 3 YEARS ago and I am next so will raise this with my younger brother. Our ages are 63 then 62 and 61.. with 1 year 6 months and 1 year 7 month gaps.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2014 at 08:37

I am so grateful for all your comments. I also have my operation this Wednesday the 10th and am quietly terrified of the op and also the period afterwards with the catheter. Hopefully I will get through it as well as you all have and I will post my post op comments. 

User
Posted 08 Sep 2014 at 09:27

Try not to worry unduly about the catheter. It's usually not a problem for most men. You may be surprised how quickly your body adapts to the presence of a tube exiting your body and being connected to a floor bag or a leg bag.

Sleeping on your back may not be your normal sleeping position but the body seems to accommodate what needs to be done and gets on with it. I am not aware of any one losing their catheter during sleeping.

When it is removed, your urethra will need to get used to a new "closed" position, as it has been "closed" around a pipe for some weeks. The removal of the pipe may leave a gap that you may leak from? Your tube will need to get used to taking up the slack and shutting down completely again as it did pre op.

Looking back on the time I had it in situ, I was one of the rare occurrences of having problems with my catheter, then it was removed and I went to pads, 3 or 4 a day, but I would "bag up" in the evenings or when I got really tired. Eventually I did not need to bag up at night and did not even need a pad. 16 months down the line all is good. We all recover at our own rate.

You will be fine. Any problems post up here.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2014 at 18:59
Raymond

Echo Countryboys post

Our local hospital had a new Da Vinci in April 2014 and opted for that, within 4 weeks I was back at work and was 99 percent dry in a very short time.

It easy to say do not worry about the op , but focus on the benefit of the op.

I think it was Fozzie who was dry from day one, post catheter removal.Think positive

I found the catheter more an inconvenience than a problem. It does have benefits like not getting up in the night and not looking for a loo went out and about. I let my OH change the night bag, it saves a bit of bending.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Sep 2014 at 15:24

Thanks Chris

Thanks for your good wishes.

I will report in a few days how it went

Cheers
Raymond

User
Posted 22 Sep 2014 at 13:36

I had my op on 10th August and came out of hospital on 12th with catheter and staples dressed.It was very awkward getting used to the catheter and went back this week to have it out and also the staples removed. That went quite smoothly and pain free and so I am now trying to regain my continence which is proving to be more difficult and frustrating. However I have noticed that I have a very large hard lump at the site of one of my wounds. It does not look normal but the hospital have told me not to worry about it.Has anyone also had experience of this?

User
Posted 22 Sep 2014 at 20:59
Ray

Approx 18 weeks post DaVinci I do have a small hard lump at the side of the biggest wound. Small being the size of a peanut.

Hernias are a possible side effect of the surgery sounds like you have had it checked, but you could get it checked by GP for reassurance.

Hope you are doing your pelvic floor exercises.

Thanks Chris