I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My observations following robotic surgery.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 17:52

Hello folks,

It's been a week since my op which went quite well. My surgeon, apparently, took 2 hours to complete the procedure. He managed to spare some nerves: 100% on one side and 15% the other. He did what's described as an 'incremental nerve-sparing' technique. I presume it means slicing away at the nerve until a healthy margin is achieved. It was a pleasant surprise for me as I assumed (wrongly!) he would dissect all the nerve bundles due to the presence of Peri-neural invasion in my case.

There is some hope, then, that the beast may head north one day! Research data suggests a 30-40% possibility. I'll hold my breath!

My biggest post-op complaints have been constipation and backache. The former much improved now and I stuck to members advice not to strain as I normally would! I suspect the latter is due to almost constant hunching and bending over. I find deep breathing exercises help.

All wounds clean and dry. Catheter draining well. Analgesia stopped 2 days ago.Daily injecting this wretched anti-coagulant. I still believe it's not needed in MY case. It's a controversial issue among British urologists. I read the majority of US robotic surgeons do not use it. But, please, bear in mind to follow the advice of your treating team. Every case is different. Hope am not being patronising! 😊 

My TWOC will be in 14 days post-op as H was unable to fit me in earlier. Quite acceptable but I would not want it any longer.

Pathology and OP review in 4 weeks' time.

Thank you to all for your support, advice, suggestions and good humour!

Regards,

Jacey

User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 19:16
Good news Jacey,
Rest up as much as you can. You'll feel so much better once the catheter is removed.
Jane.
User
Posted 18 Sep 2014 at 08:51

Jacey,

pleased to hear your ok, a quick jab in the backside with the needle is the way to go...yes you do get used to it, better that than run the risk of getting a clot Etc...if you have the senna keep taking that too it helps, its still early days in your recovery, but youll get there, the important thing to remember is survive.......good luck

User
Posted 18 Sep 2014 at 22:19
Just picked up on your thread after being absent from forum for a while.

I had my op back in November 2012 so am just under 2 years ahead of you. I had catheter in for 10 days. I did cope with it but it was great to have it removed. Removal wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I can give you some advice. When you go for your TWOC make sure you wear some appropriate pants - y fronts or trunk type. You will be given a pad to wear and this needs to be held in place.

When I had my catheter removed I poured like a tap. I didn't think and just wore loose boxers, which didn't hold the pad in tight enough. The pad quickly filled up and kept falling down my trouser leg! I chuckle about this now but at the time I felt quite vulnerable and it was embarrassing in front of other patients in the waiting room. I had to do a Mr Bean walk down the corridor to the nurse's office to ask for help.

The nurse gave me some surgical pants to hold the pad in place whilst I travelled home and I got my daughter to put a dustbin bag on her car seat in case of leaks. As I said I do look back on this now and have a little laugh. A sense of humour really does help!

Wishing you all the best.
User
Posted 30 Sep 2014 at 07:25

Sounds like you are making good progress. We are all different, some men are dryer sooner than others. I think I was about 2 months. Keep doing the pelvic floor exercises.

Take care
Bri

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 18:44

Excellent news.  Glad all is going well.  I was advised to stop the anti-coagulant injections after a couple of days as my bruising was quite pronounced.

3 months after the da Vinci all is going well for me - I'm sure it will for you too.  It's great when the catheter comes out!

User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 19:16
Good news Jacey,
Rest up as much as you can. You'll feel so much better once the catheter is removed.
Jane.
User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 20:15
JC

Glad to see you back. After all the discussions how was the journey back to home. Getting rid of the catheter will be a relief. Take recovery at your own pace.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 17 Sep 2014 at 17:54

Thanks, Rod.

Have to wait till Monday for TWOC. It's a real nuisance!

Jacey

User
Posted 17 Sep 2014 at 19:22

Hi Chris,

Journey back home was uneventful. Took your advice (I think it was yours!) of putting a soft cushion between belt and tummy and slept most of the journey. Stopped once at motorway facilities and walked to a rubbish bin but was not tempted to chuck catheter in!! 😜

Cheers,

Jacey

User
Posted 18 Sep 2014 at 08:51

Jacey,

pleased to hear your ok, a quick jab in the backside with the needle is the way to go...yes you do get used to it, better that than run the risk of getting a clot Etc...if you have the senna keep taking that too it helps, its still early days in your recovery, but youll get there, the important thing to remember is survive.......good luck

User
Posted 18 Sep 2014 at 22:19
Just picked up on your thread after being absent from forum for a while.

I had my op back in November 2012 so am just under 2 years ahead of you. I had catheter in for 10 days. I did cope with it but it was great to have it removed. Removal wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I can give you some advice. When you go for your TWOC make sure you wear some appropriate pants - y fronts or trunk type. You will be given a pad to wear and this needs to be held in place.

When I had my catheter removed I poured like a tap. I didn't think and just wore loose boxers, which didn't hold the pad in tight enough. The pad quickly filled up and kept falling down my trouser leg! I chuckle about this now but at the time I felt quite vulnerable and it was embarrassing in front of other patients in the waiting room. I had to do a Mr Bean walk down the corridor to the nurse's office to ask for help.

The nurse gave me some surgical pants to hold the pad in place whilst I travelled home and I got my daughter to put a dustbin bag on her car seat in case of leaks. As I said I do look back on this now and have a little laugh. A sense of humour really does help!

Wishing you all the best.
User
Posted 29 Sep 2014 at 14:38

Hi Folks,

It's been exactly a week since my catheter removal which in itself went smoothly but what a weird sensation (not painful but rather uncomfortable)!

Been dry every night but got up several times each night to pee.

During the day used 1 pad most days. Leakage worse during walkabouts or light activity. Makes sense though!

Overall, I guess I should be pleased. Looking forward now to complete control within the next couple of months. Would that be too optimistic?

Noticed some tenderness and ache in perineal area, particularly when sitting down. Quite common I understand.

Feel quite OK in other respect.

Jacey

User
Posted 30 Sep 2014 at 07:25

Sounds like you are making good progress. We are all different, some men are dryer sooner than others. I think I was about 2 months. Keep doing the pelvic floor exercises.

Take care
Bri