Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

levels of experience of robotic surgery

User
Posted 06 Oct 2014 at 22:16

Hi

I'm about to say yes to Radical Prostacectomy - interested to hear the experience of others who have been through this at different hospitals. I am aware that levels of experience with robotics vary quite a lot and obviously want an experienced surgeon in nerve sparing. I'm 55 yrs old. Any feedback welcome. 

All the best.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 01:25

We can't name surgeons or other medics on this forum although there are often conversations about our experiences of the various hospitals. Surgeons are supposed to publish their success rates now (a government push) and you should be able to look up these stats easily via google or similar search engines. You could also check out the surgeons you are interested in on the 'Dr Fosters' website.

A couple of words of warning though on these so called league tables - not all surgeons are publishing yet which makes comparison a little tricky. Also, the definition of success can vary quite a lot from surgeon to surgeon and hospital to hospital. For example, the stats for % of men who are able to get an erection 12 months post-surgery usually include all men who can get an erection regardless of whether they need tablets, injections or a vacuum pump to do this and also regardless of whether it is a) firm enough or b) long lasting enough for penetration. In relation to incontinence, the reporting definition of 'continent' is a man who needs one continence pad or less per day. Also be aware that some of the leading urologists have big marketing machines and snazzy websites but these do not necessarily lead to better outcomes.

The best way to find out the success rates for the surgeons you are considering is to meet them and ask:
- what % of your men have positive margins once the pathology results are back?
- what % require adjuvant treatment or salvage treatment?
- what % are completely continent and do not need any pads 6 months post op and 12 months post op?
- what % are able to have penetrative sex without chemical or physical aids 12 months and 24 months post op?
- how does the surgeon collect this data?

For what it is worth, I remain less than impressed with this idea that robotic surgery is the gold standard that everyone should seek. At present, the science cannot separate open and robotic surgery in terms of outcomes for recurrence, continence and potence so the only benefit may be in the shorter in-patient time. Based on anecdotal evidence here, there seem to be slightly more problems with strictures and incontinence than with open surgery. In addition, robotic is not always the best option in relation to previous medical history, position of the main tumour and so on. In my husband's case, we opted for open RP because the surgeon (who is one of the so-called Golden few) despite being a leader in Da Vinci felt that he had a better chance of leaving some nerves intact if he could "get his hands in" - other factors that may make open preferable to robotic or LRP include scar tissue from previous abdominal surgery (including appendectomy) or heart problems (being tipped head down for hours isn't always good for the heart).

Good luck with your research!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 13:46

Its over two years since my operation at Addenbrookes so I cannot claim to be up to speed with league tables etc, however until someone produces clear evidence as to the outcomes from da Vinci or open surgery it will have to come down to the advice you receive from the medical team and your own gut feel. I appreciate that this is hardly scientific but I felt comfortable with the advice I received and knowing that the team were very experienced gave me some comfort (although no guarantee) that I was making the right call.

Kevin

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:08

I had a RP in May this year at the UCHL, its a really busy place,  I was met by a surgeon pre- op, who told me that they wouldnt be able to do any nerve sparing because of the spread of the cancer, I was disappointed , I had no prior warning of this, but took it on the chin as I thought at least I can have it taken out and hopefully I will survive this ,

the following day in hospital, I was seen by another surgeon who had assisted the main consultant surgeon, he told me that they had managed to do a fair amount of nerve sparing , confused so am I , it was a bit of a convayor belt experience to begin with, so now I believe that anyone could have done it, doesnt matter what consultant you see before hand, unless your awake (which you wont be ) its a  bit of a  lottery,

sorry if I appear to be negative about this, its just my opinion, we all want the best guy to do the job, and do the best nerve sparing they can, But what's really important is that you survive and live, the rest is secondary,

youll never know for certain who performs the op, even they do not know what they will find when they start the surgery, it could be far worse than they believed or not, its an unknown factor, that wont change for the foresee able future, it doesnt come with a 100% guarantee

I have no regrets about the RP, for me it was the right decision,

I wish you well and good luck

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 21:04
Hi

I had Da Vinci surgery at Nottingham city hospital in April 2014 4 days post catheter I was 99 percent dry and one month post op I was back at work and life was almost back to normal. I had non sparring surgery due to a significant amount of disease so ED is an issue. I kept asking about nerve sparring but was told by my surgeon "my prime concern is to get rid of your cancer" . I did get a second opinion privately who offered open surgery and as Lyn's experience " I can get my hands in there and have a good feel round the back of the prostate" ,He said It "may" be possible to spare nerves on one side but did not promise nerve sparring and said he expected me back at work in 2 to 6 weeks.

A couple of months post op I was getting a reduced urine flow and water infections. Three months post op and following a cystoscopy, I had a dilatation (bladder neck stretch). One of the clips from the surgery had migrated into the bladder this is a 1 in 500 occurrence but Is documented to cause strictures. The flow was good following the dilation procedure but two months later I am booked in for another dilation in 10 days time due to reduced flow. The procedure is under general anaesthetic and should be in and out in a day, catheter removed a few days later.

My surgeon thinks it is more to do with the catheter getting stuck on the way out rather than the way the bits were stitched back together.

Actual recovery from the op was almost uneventful.

So not a smooth journey through robotic surgery.

Lyn curious about your thinking to ask

what % of your men have positive margins once the pathology results are back?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 23:15

It is one of the criteria surgeons are supposed to disclose; the fewer positive margins he has the better. Positive margins don't just happen inexplicably - inexperienced surgeons or those that have misjudged the extent of disease are more likely to leave something behind more often than the better or more cautious ones.

That seems to be the thinking, anyway.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 23:25

Hi Conquistador

My experience of Da Vinci robotic surgery was very good.  I live in East Kent.  My surgeon was very experienced, having done over 700 RALPs.  He had full details of the statistics of the operations he had performed and talked me through what I might expect.  For example, he said nearly 30% of men he had operated on were dry immediately or within a few days of the catheter being removed.  I was dry immediately.

What I learned from that was to ask as many questions as possible before agreeing to the procedure.  The questions I asked were those that I gleaned from reading posts on this site.

One thing he did tell me was that the Da Vinci procedure enables them to be precise as the difference between sparing nerves or not in some cases comes down to one cell to the next.

I have written about my experience in other posts on this site.  For me, RALP was certainly the right decision.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 07:50

If you are happy with your surgeons results you can confirm with them that it will be them doing the operation.

I think Lyn is right. I had a very experienced surgeon but still left with a positive margin. I don't think this was error on his part, although who knows, but down to being a tiny focal breech and perhaps unreliable imaging results

Bri

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 11:09

I was finally diagnosed with a G7 after a template biopsy. After robotic surgeryat Christie's last April, all the cancer seems to have been removed, and currently PSA is undetectable. Continence is much better - only 1 pad per day usually, sometimes 2, but no northward movement of my pride and joy. i have an appointment in 2 weeks to discuss progress, or the lack of it in 2 weeks. I am not unduly worried as it can take 2 years to get anything like back to normal. I was told nerve sparing was incremental, but I am still not sure I understand exactly what that means.

Otherwise I'm now getting on with my life exactly as before. No regrets at all about the op. Just glad I had my PCa was diagnosed in time.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 11:31

Hi Conquistador

I had robotic assisted surgery in June this year.

My surgeon is very experienced in robotic procedures with both prostate and kidney and advises NICE on robotic  techniques. He also trains other surgeons in these procedures....

I was very happy when he assured me that he would be the one performing my operation ( I had to trust his word for that! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif )

I agree with others, experience of your surgeon and success rates are very important no matter what surgical procedure you choose to have...

He explained to me that with robotic assisted surgery he had much better control and vision and could perform delicate procedures very accurately.... Blood loss would be minimal, recovery should be quicker with less time in hospital ( in my case approx 24 hours )
I didn't need a drain in my wounds and had dissolvable sutures ....no nurse visit needed for clip removal.. and catheter removed after 2 weeks at my local hospital... ( check out my profile )

He also explained that in very rare cases it may be necessary to revert to open surgery if the prostate was 'stuck' to the bladder?

He told me he would spare nerves if he could, but his main objective was to get rid of the cancer.... ( I had nerves spared on one side only )

There are risks with any operation and until you have the full histology report even the surgeon doesn't know how successful he has been....

I have no regrets choosing the 'robotic route' but I'm sure other methods of surgery are equally as good, or bad, as the case may be...

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 20:00

Hi conquistador,I had the RALP July 2013,after discussions regarding treatments including brachy,it was after meeting the surgeon who explained what they were going to do in great detail they were as confident as they could be about the recovery of continence and doing nerve sparing.But there was the risk that these maybe problematical,luckily they aren't.It is a difficult decision and one you must be 100% sure of.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2014 at 09:00

I know what you mean BarrieM - but it seems the thing about all this is you have to go into what ever choice you make without 100% certainty - and with limited choice)! Many thanks to all for your thoughtful replies and good wishes on this one - much appreciated.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2014 at 10:31

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments on this thread - very useful for me as I'm waiting for RALP at the moment having been diagnosed with Gleason 3+4 two weeks ago. I'm under private care at The Manor Hospital in Oxford and my option there is to have robotic surgery at the Churchill Hospital, also in Oxford. I haven't yet asked my surgeon about his outcome statistics, but will do so (thanks for the suggestions of questions to ask). My main concern is that there is a chance of T3a on the RHS due to capsular abutment of the cancer on that side. Still debating whether to try for nerve sparing on the LHS (where the cancer is smaller and less risk of spreading outside the capsule), or whether just to tell the surgeon to take a wider margin to reduce the risk of any return and accept that nerve sparing isn't an option. At 43, this really wasn't a decision I was planning to have to make!

I'm trying to find success / outcome rate statistics for other UK centres, but they seem tricky to track down despite much Googling!

Does anyone else have experience, good or bad, of RALP at The Churchill?

Thanks,

Tom