I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What do I do now?

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 18:36

I don't really like the X Factor, but over the years and on the occasions when I have caught a glimpse I have noted Simon Cowell's propensity to use the phrase "Now here's the thing".

June 2004 - at 52 years old diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer, and told by my urologist that I had probably months to live.   After going through the trauma, the distress, and the sharing of such awful news with my two sons, my wife went on our 'last' dream holiday.   Waiting for us in the post was a letter from Weston Park Hospital in Sheffield, inviting me to undergo a new radiotherapy treatment.

After various drugs and then the high intensity radiotherapy, I have managed for 8 years on Prostap injections.

October 2011- noticed new masses, some pain, and rise in PSA; advised by oncologist that cancer had spread, and that prognosis is 2 years or there about.  Given small dose of radiotherapy, and put on steroids.   Steroids didn't work, and PSA level rose slowly for 2 years.

Summer 2014 - prescribed Abiraterone and Prednisalone.  Neither working, and nobody will now pontificate on my life expectancy.  Cancer has now spread to lungs and lymph nodes.  I feel poorly most of the time, have severe pains in rib cage, tire very easily.

Decided to take early retirement in order to have some time for myself and family.

So to quote Mr Cowell, here's the thing:   What do I do now?

I just don't know where I am or what I should be doing.

I haven't really made use of the resources provided by Macmillan, or PCUK for that matter, and in fact I have no idea what I should be asking for in any case.   We have wills, and we have discussed what I would like to happen to me in the event of my demise.

Though I joined the PCUK forums a few years ago, I haven't used it much; especially since my joke was removed by the moderators.

Having just manned a Roadshow stand, I feel like I should get more involved, and have been reading some threads and associated replies today.

I'd like to do some more if health permits, but I'm in an absolute quandary, and really don't know how I should behave, react or even feel.

Though my sons are obviously concerned, and care very much, it is almost as if they are questioning the validity of my claim now; which could be viewed as a very positive thing.  Having been told 6 months in 2004, then revised to 'likely to die from something else' in 2005; then given 18 months to 2 years in 2011.  Now finding no treatment is controlling the condition and PSA level has at last exceeded my IQ.

Each oncology appointment seems to bring conflicting news; although the trend has been sadly downwards of late.

My wife knows, because she attends my oncology appointments.  But I almost feel like a fraud, because I'm just carrying on.    But I haven't a clue how to go forward. Silly? Yes. Selfish? Undoubtedly.

Some of you are going through all kinds of hell, and I'm very sorry if I cause distress or offence;  but having read some other stories and ongoing accounts I feel as if something is missing.

I feel I should be asking for support, but I don't know what I need or want.............well, er maybe healing?

Sometimes feel sorry for myself, and go on a downer worrying about my wife being lonely and vulnerable etc., sometimes feel upbeat, and grateful for the 4 wonderful grand children I never thought I would see. But for the most part tend to just carry on with no particular mood.

A man said to me some months ago "You don't look like a dying man.  You are not a dying man; you are a living man!!!"

So...................I've just been living..................that's all.......just living, taking the tablets, shopping, paperwork, cooking, cleaning, playing the piano, walking the dog. 

Despite all the above diatribe, I still haven't put into suitable words what it is that I feel, but have to say I'm feeling like I'm walking alone (except for the dog of course).My humour is really a shell to cover my anxieties and insecurities (as if you couldn't see that).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:27

Hi Otto,

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. Though my Cancer journey is Over two cancers, testicular Cancer in the 1980s and PCa with bone met spread in Jan 2012 I have asked many of the questions you are asking. Your treatment path seems to not include chemo which seems an odd omission unless there was a clinical reason why not. Others will advise on treatments, I guess enzo is a possibility if it can be prescribed, given NICE's position on this.

But I am not sure it is clinical advice you are seeking and as yet I've not reached these treatments so for me they are to come! I think it is hard to have an incurable disease which is not obvious always to others. Many occasions people say to me 'gosh you look well'. I know they mean well but I often feel like saying yes but despite my outward appearance I do have things going on which won't go away. I spent a lot of time writing in the early days trying to envisage the extent of my mortality and in doing so found I came back towards life, I think you were saying something similar.

I hold onto the present in all my interactions at work, with friends and most of all with family. In making memories and living that moment, I look up occasionally and find another three or six months have gone. We cannot control time and I try and be more concerned with the quality of time than how much time. It helps me cope with the paradox of morality.

Anyway I am rambling now, happy to chat more if it is at all helpful.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 18:36

I don't really like the X Factor, but over the years and on the occasions when I have caught a glimpse I have noted Simon Cowell's propensity to use the phrase "Now here's the thing".

June 2004 - at 52 years old diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer, and told by my urologist that I had probably months to live.   After going through the trauma, the distress, and the sharing of such awful news with my two sons, my wife went on our 'last' dream holiday.   Waiting for us in the post was a letter from Weston Park Hospital in Sheffield, inviting me to undergo a new radiotherapy treatment.

After various drugs and then the high intensity radiotherapy, I have managed for 8 years on Prostap injections.

October 2011- noticed new masses, some pain, and rise in PSA; advised by oncologist that cancer had spread, and that prognosis is 2 years or there about.  Given small dose of radiotherapy, and put on steroids.   Steroids didn't work, and PSA level rose slowly for 2 years.

Summer 2014 - prescribed Abiraterone and Prednisalone.  Neither working, and nobody will now pontificate on my life expectancy.  Cancer has now spread to lungs and lymph nodes.  I feel poorly most of the time, have severe pains in rib cage, tire very easily.

Decided to take early retirement in order to have some time for myself and family.

So to quote Mr Cowell, here's the thing:   What do I do now?

I just don't know where I am or what I should be doing.

I haven't really made use of the resources provided by Macmillan, or PCUK for that matter, and in fact I have no idea what I should be asking for in any case.   We have wills, and we have discussed what I would like to happen to me in the event of my demise.

Though I joined the PCUK forums a few years ago, I haven't used it much; especially since my joke was removed by the moderators.

Having just manned a Roadshow stand, I feel like I should get more involved, and have been reading some threads and associated replies today.

I'd like to do some more if health permits, but I'm in an absolute quandary, and really don't know how I should behave, react or even feel.

Though my sons are obviously concerned, and care very much, it is almost as if they are questioning the validity of my claim now; which could be viewed as a very positive thing.  Having been told 6 months in 2004, then revised to 'likely to die from something else' in 2005; then given 18 months to 2 years in 2011.  Now finding no treatment is controlling the condition and PSA level has at last exceeded my IQ.

Each oncology appointment seems to bring conflicting news; although the trend has been sadly downwards of late.

My wife knows, because she attends my oncology appointments.  But I almost feel like a fraud, because I'm just carrying on.    But I haven't a clue how to go forward. Silly? Yes. Selfish? Undoubtedly.

Some of you are going through all kinds of hell, and I'm very sorry if I cause distress or offence;  but having read some other stories and ongoing accounts I feel as if something is missing.

I feel I should be asking for support, but I don't know what I need or want.............well, er maybe healing?

Sometimes feel sorry for myself, and go on a downer worrying about my wife being lonely and vulnerable etc., sometimes feel upbeat, and grateful for the 4 wonderful grand children I never thought I would see. But for the most part tend to just carry on with no particular mood.

A man said to me some months ago "You don't look like a dying man.  You are not a dying man; you are a living man!!!"

So...................I've just been living..................that's all.......just living, taking the tablets, shopping, paperwork, cooking, cleaning, playing the piano, walking the dog. 

Despite all the above diatribe, I still haven't put into suitable words what it is that I feel, but have to say I'm feeling like I'm walking alone (except for the dog of course).My humour is really a shell to cover my anxieties and insecurities (as if you couldn't see that).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:48

Hi Otto, really good reply from Paul..I can't empathise as I am not in your situation.
What I do know is that you are not walking that road alone.

I have noted you were treated at WP so guessing you are in the Yorkshire, Notts, Derbyshire area. If so you could always join our little group...We are from Doncaster, Newark and Lincolnshire. ...We meet up for drinks, food etc and you'd be more than welcome...

Re treatment I agree with Paul about the chemo..is there a reason you can't have this?

Keep posting

Bri

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:52

Sorry to see not better outcome from Abby. You haven't mentioned chemo. Has this been discussed by medics ? Chemo can in some cases revive a hormonal response & even older approaches like DES can be effective afterwards.

"What do I do now?"

So long as it is within the laws of this country anything you want. Not being flippant ; just stating that it is your remaining time to use however you wish. It may mean pushing the body harder at times but I think the worst thing would be to sit down in a chair & give up.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 20:09

Buy a lottery ticket. :-)

It is common for people to make comments along the lines of "but you look so well?" I used to describe my cancer to them as rotting from the inside.

You have bucked all the predictions, and that is fantastic for you and for your family and friends.

Regarding your quandary and how you should feel, I can understand that in a way. I am a lucky one in all of this and those here. After my diagnosis and RRP op, and then the 3 monthly PSA tests in the following first year, I did not know how to feel, what to feel or think, and to an extent how to behave. It took me a year to "get over myself" and come to terms with things and now I am getting on with life. Moved house, moved in with my current future X, took on a substantial renovation project, too ydoolb substantial I sometimes think, and am cracking on with life. No longer worried about starting a book or taking on a long term task. And that was with one diagnosis. How you are coping with so well with so many false alarms, although it might be getting a bit more serious now, and talking here so articulately about it, you get my respect mate.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 16:51

Good - ish news from oncologist today, who says Abiraterone has at last stabilised the PSA level; and that the pains are not in my lymphatic system, but in my ribs. He is anticipating that this can be treated with a short dose of radiation.

So we came home a bit more positive. (I lie; we went to Matalan, Wilkos, various womens clothes shops, Poundland for anniversary present, Mrs de Frostes fave fish n chip restaurant; then came home a bit more positive).

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:27

Hi Otto,

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. Though my Cancer journey is Over two cancers, testicular Cancer in the 1980s and PCa with bone met spread in Jan 2012 I have asked many of the questions you are asking. Your treatment path seems to not include chemo which seems an odd omission unless there was a clinical reason why not. Others will advise on treatments, I guess enzo is a possibility if it can be prescribed, given NICE's position on this.

But I am not sure it is clinical advice you are seeking and as yet I've not reached these treatments so for me they are to come! I think it is hard to have an incurable disease which is not obvious always to others. Many occasions people say to me 'gosh you look well'. I know they mean well but I often feel like saying yes but despite my outward appearance I do have things going on which won't go away. I spent a lot of time writing in the early days trying to envisage the extent of my mortality and in doing so found I came back towards life, I think you were saying something similar.

I hold onto the present in all my interactions at work, with friends and most of all with family. In making memories and living that moment, I look up occasionally and find another three or six months have gone. We cannot control time and I try and be more concerned with the quality of time than how much time. It helps me cope with the paradox of morality.

Anyway I am rambling now, happy to chat more if it is at all helpful.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:48

Hi Otto, really good reply from Paul..I can't empathise as I am not in your situation.
What I do know is that you are not walking that road alone.

I have noted you were treated at WP so guessing you are in the Yorkshire, Notts, Derbyshire area. If so you could always join our little group...We are from Doncaster, Newark and Lincolnshire. ...We meet up for drinks, food etc and you'd be more than welcome...

Re treatment I agree with Paul about the chemo..is there a reason you can't have this?

Keep posting

Bri

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 19:52

Sorry to see not better outcome from Abby. You haven't mentioned chemo. Has this been discussed by medics ? Chemo can in some cases revive a hormonal response & even older approaches like DES can be effective afterwards.

"What do I do now?"

So long as it is within the laws of this country anything you want. Not being flippant ; just stating that it is your remaining time to use however you wish. It may mean pushing the body harder at times but I think the worst thing would be to sit down in a chair & give up.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 20:09

Buy a lottery ticket. :-)

It is common for people to make comments along the lines of "but you look so well?" I used to describe my cancer to them as rotting from the inside.

You have bucked all the predictions, and that is fantastic for you and for your family and friends.

Regarding your quandary and how you should feel, I can understand that in a way. I am a lucky one in all of this and those here. After my diagnosis and RRP op, and then the 3 monthly PSA tests in the following first year, I did not know how to feel, what to feel or think, and to an extent how to behave. It took me a year to "get over myself" and come to terms with things and now I am getting on with life. Moved house, moved in with my current future X, took on a substantial renovation project, too ydoolb substantial I sometimes think, and am cracking on with life. No longer worried about starting a book or taking on a long term task. And that was with one diagnosis. How you are coping with so well with so many false alarms, although it might be getting a bit more serious now, and talking here so articulately about it, you get my respect mate.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 20:11

And you are not alone!

Lots of folk here for you, whenever you want to offload. Or just chat?

Dave

User
Posted 07 Oct 2014 at 21:41

Gentlemen
Much respect to you all
Heading to the sack soon, but wishing you all a very good night.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 16:51

Good - ish news from oncologist today, who says Abiraterone has at last stabilised the PSA level; and that the pains are not in my lymphatic system, but in my ribs. He is anticipating that this can be treated with a short dose of radiation.

So we came home a bit more positive. (I lie; we went to Matalan, Wilkos, various womens clothes shops, Poundland for anniversary present, Mrs de Frostes fave fish n chip restaurant; then came home a bit more positive).