I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

BICARBONATE of SODA

User
Posted 10 Oct 2014 at 13:57

Thoughts on Bicarb please for reducing acidity levels and increasing PH. John accepts that his acid levels are probably higher than they should be due to his love of acidic things. We did actually try the litmus test this morning and although his wasn't drastic it was less than the neutral level.

I was already investigating bicarb for myself when I saw an article on the net this morning referring to it as a cancer treatment and I followed a few links.

I'm NOT suggesting Bicarb use instead of conventional medicine. We are already addressing our general diet plus the extras like Turmeric for John and I just wondered whether there were any members who have already tried simple Bicarb as an accessory to their cancer treatment

Edited by member 11 Oct 2014 at 08:13  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 02:22

Is your doctor aware that you're treating yourselves with bicarb?  I have to say that it sounds quite dangerous and ill advised, particularly if either of you have a hypertension problem. The sodium and bicarbonate ions will be separated in the blood stream, and the sodium will tend to raise the blood pressure. We're all aware of the dangers of too much salt, but even a small amount of bicarb will have the same hypertensive effect. 

The body already has a system for monitoring its pH and maintaining it at a correct level. This works whether or not you're eating acidic or alkaline foods.

If you're using pH test strips to measure your urine or saliva acidity then you're just wasting your time. Read these quack watch articles: 

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/reams.html

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/young3.html

I suggest you throw away your litmus papers, and use the bicarb for making the occasional cake. 

User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 10:30

May be better eating healthy foods (suggested by some) to be alkaline, namely:

Avocado
Granulated soy
Soy lecithin
Soy nuts, soy sprouts, Soy beans
Beetroot
Radish
Alfalfa
Cucumber
Lettuce
Celery
Kale, spinach
Oregano
Sorrell
Broccoli

The above list contains many foods which have been noted to have a positive effect on prostate cancer i.e. broccoli, kale, soy.

Eating bicarbonate would just make me feel blue.

flexi

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 02:22

Is your doctor aware that you're treating yourselves with bicarb?  I have to say that it sounds quite dangerous and ill advised, particularly if either of you have a hypertension problem. The sodium and bicarbonate ions will be separated in the blood stream, and the sodium will tend to raise the blood pressure. We're all aware of the dangers of too much salt, but even a small amount of bicarb will have the same hypertensive effect. 

The body already has a system for monitoring its pH and maintaining it at a correct level. This works whether or not you're eating acidic or alkaline foods.

If you're using pH test strips to measure your urine or saliva acidity then you're just wasting your time. Read these quack watch articles: 

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/reams.html

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/young3.html

I suggest you throw away your litmus papers, and use the bicarb for making the occasional cake. 

User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 07:15

Thank you for your insight and the links.

Neither of us suffers from Hypertension even though my other half has atrial fibrillation.
We do have a good quality BP machine and check our BP on a regular basis because of the AF. The machine registers almost the same as at the GP surgery.

Who is to say what is a "correct" level.
If the body was capable of monitoring and maintaining levels why do some people suffer from acidosis or alkalosis.

As far as the litmus paper is concerned I already had it and I use it for other tests so I'll hang onto it.

Wouldn't use bicarb to bake with since baking powder does a better job for most things

PS. I was asking if anyone had thoughts on the Bicarb approach. I didn't actually say we were treating ourselves, merely that out of curiosity we had checked our general ph level.

Edited by member 11 Oct 2014 at 08:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 10:30

May be better eating healthy foods (suggested by some) to be alkaline, namely:

Avocado
Granulated soy
Soy lecithin
Soy nuts, soy sprouts, Soy beans
Beetroot
Radish
Alfalfa
Cucumber
Lettuce
Celery
Kale, spinach
Oregano
Sorrell
Broccoli

The above list contains many foods which have been noted to have a positive effect on prostate cancer i.e. broccoli, kale, soy.

Eating bicarbonate would just make me feel blue.

flexi

User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 12:32

we've Had soya milk for a number of years now and have already increased this to include soya yoghurts.

Have reduced red meat content by over half when making things like spaghetti Bolognese and have substituted granulated soy for the rest.

He will eat broccoli at a push but as for the rest !! I do - he doesn't but then I don't have prostate cancer.

We wouldn't eat the bicarb. It's suggested to make it into a drink with molasses which also has health benefits. Bit like taking Andrews Liver Salts occasionally .

It was just a general enquiry.

Thanks for your input