I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy or Removal - radiotherapy,Prostate cancer treatment,Brachytherapy

User
Posted 14 Oct 2014 at 14:43
I'm a newly diagnosed 52 year old with T1 prostate cancer , 3+3 Gleason reading.

Like a lot of you guys out there, I'm trying to decide on treatment options.

Would like to hear from any guys out there in early fifties who had similar diagnosis and have either had radiotherapy to removal of prostate.

Interesting in understandng side effects please too from someone who has been through either treatment.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 05:33

hi my husband was diagnosed with gleason 3+4
options were surgery or radiotherapy
we read all the info that was to hand and he decided to go for surgery
he said he would rather have operation know it was taken away
you need to work out what will be best for you and your life style
my hubby is now 5 months on from his surgery and leading life more or less the same as he was before op
no incontinence back to work
he has ED but that is not a problem(you work around it)
good luck with making a decision

User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 08:30

Hello Harper and Welcome.
My husband at 72 was diagnosed with PSA start 5.9 3+3 and He was on active surveillance for a year before it had moved to 6.3 3+4 T2 and he had to make a decision

His preferred treatment was permanent seed Brachytherapy (You'll find info in the Tool Kit) which is a one off treatment.

Yours seems quite low and I wouldn't have thought from what I read on here that there was any great urgency to do anything.

Except of course, that some men prefer to get it all done and dusted.

Just take your time to review all treatments that are on offer. Get hold of that Tool Kit from this site's publications page. It's a mine of information and will provide the basis of the list of questions advisable to take with you at your next appointment. (Together with a notepad and pen for the answers - you'll never remember all that is said).

Personal experiences and views are just that. That which seems to suit one and be effective doesn't always follow that all men will feel or react the same so research carefully.
Best Wishes and Good Luck. Sandra

Edited by member 15 Oct 2014 at 08:56  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Oct 2014 at 20:04

Hi Harper, sorry you find yourself here. Fortunately your cancer sounds in the early stages. Have they discussed active surveillance with you.

You can download the toolkit from the PCUK website that will answer your queries

Bri

User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 05:33

hi my husband was diagnosed with gleason 3+4
options were surgery or radiotherapy
we read all the info that was to hand and he decided to go for surgery
he said he would rather have operation know it was taken away
you need to work out what will be best for you and your life style
my hubby is now 5 months on from his surgery and leading life more or less the same as he was before op
no incontinence back to work
he has ED but that is not a problem(you work around it)
good luck with making a decision

User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 08:30

Hello Harper and Welcome.
My husband at 72 was diagnosed with PSA start 5.9 3+3 and He was on active surveillance for a year before it had moved to 6.3 3+4 T2 and he had to make a decision

His preferred treatment was permanent seed Brachytherapy (You'll find info in the Tool Kit) which is a one off treatment.

Yours seems quite low and I wouldn't have thought from what I read on here that there was any great urgency to do anything.

Except of course, that some men prefer to get it all done and dusted.

Just take your time to review all treatments that are on offer. Get hold of that Tool Kit from this site's publications page. It's a mine of information and will provide the basis of the list of questions advisable to take with you at your next appointment. (Together with a notepad and pen for the answers - you'll never remember all that is said).

Personal experiences and views are just that. That which seems to suit one and be effective doesn't always follow that all men will feel or react the same so research carefully.
Best Wishes and Good Luck. Sandra

Edited by member 15 Oct 2014 at 08:56  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 09:09
Thanks For all responses so far.

Bri - yes active surveillance is an option that has been outlined. My thinking currently is that I should make a decision on treatment, rather than waiting till it advances and makes the decision for me. Recognise though that either way is a risk.

To me, removal seems too radical for such an early stage, so instinctively favour radiotherapy to eliminate it - however this may just be flawed logic, I'm not sure.

Dave